Observations of a DM turned player

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Well, usually, I DM. And I was stoked about DMing 4E, so I was on the positive side already - but then one of the players of my group wanted to DM.

And he did. So, I've seen 4E for 1-1/2 sessions from a player's seat, playing an Eladrin Fighter, and my impressions so far:

4E is good. We have a good time. The characters are fun to play - my fighter fey steps behind enemy lines, marks the enemies, preventing them from attacking effectively. The tiefling warlock lays down serious smacking - the extra 1d6 from the curse is doing serious damage over time. The human wizard is slinging scorching bursts like there's no tomorrow. Without a leader, we rely on healing potions for extra surge triggering, but it works.

In general, we have a good time, and the 2nd level (we started there since we have a small group) is fun - it feels like 5th-6th level in 3E, i.e. the sweet spot.

But more important is my impression of a newbie DM: He cannot avoind the usual trapfalls. Some NPCs are showboating, he wants to railroad, but it's not that bad. But his general grasp of staging encounters, the way he manages it out of the MM... is impressive. Combat is blazing fast, things keep moving, encounters are interesting. He throws out plot hooks, engages the players with thing that fit the player's playing style.

And it's not only the DMs merit, it's really the MM - the DM hasn't refereed a game before (only played in mine), had no clue how to wing... and decided just to use some (half-)random stats from the MM, trying to fit the XP values.

It worked out very cool, and we had over an hour more time than we thought - he judged the time needed by the time we previously needed... and hasn't planned far enough.

So, 4E in play is fast, people are resolving their turns quickly. More importantly, they aren't waiting for their turn, because watching other people's turn *is* interesting - simply because it's important for the team's overall strategy, but also because of the shiny factor of all the powers (though that may wear off).

And it's easy to DM out of the box. If nothing, 4E is a great way for jumpstarting into D&D, enough to get the DM to buy the entire core set on a spur the day after he DMed.

How it stacks up to higher-level D&D in 3E or more roleplaying-intensive campaigns? Hard to say - need more experience, with more play as well as the new, totally enthusiastic DM.

Cheers, LT.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Lord Tirian said:
And it's easy to DM out of the box. If nothing, 4E is a great way for jumpstarting into D&D, enough to get the DM to buy the entire core set on a spur the day after he DMed.
For the first time in the entire run of my Thursday night group, we had five people wanting to DM.

Cirex

First Post
Sounds like a fun game. We had our first 4e game (besides Raiders of Oakhurst) last Saturday. They decided to not convert their Eberron characters and go for new ones and well, they loved the game, but they need more practice with powers. I hope this "we all want to DM" disease spreads ;)

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Heh, I've been taking a back-seat as a player for two sessions now and as much as I'm enjoying it, I'm itching to DM.

If only 'cause I'm sure everyone is tired of me correcting the DM on the rules :D

N0Man

First Post
I have been interested in running games for a while, but several aspects of 3E just turned me off entirely from ever doing so.

With 4E, I'm very much interested in running games. I have found DM'ing so far to be a lot of fun, and far easier and more intuitive than 3E was. I also feel like my hands are less tied and I can be more free to think about the story and characters more.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I've heard that between the DM advice in the DMG and the tactics for each set of monsters given in the MM, that this is a very newbie-friendly game. That is a very good sign for the game!

aurance

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
Combat is blazing fast, things keep moving, encounters are interesting.

This seems like something the new MM could help a new DM with.

He throws out plot hooks, engages the players with thing that fit the player's playing style.

This does not. My impression is that if he's good at this, it'd be independent of the system used. Can you explain how the new MM helped him do this?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
aurance said:
This does not. My impression is that if he's good at this, it'd be independent of the system used. Can you explain how the new MM helped him do this?
Not the MM - he perhaps knew about the player types beforehand (since I've read and used Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering, but never told him explicitly), but it is probably due to the advice from the DMG. The point is, he said that the DMG was inspiring - he read mine (before he bought the core set himself) and seemingly got a good grasp what to do. He also said that the first chapters were pretty interesting and he got good mileage out of it. And enthusiasm.

I'm not saying that the DMG will produce super-DMs, but it certainly produced an enthusiastic DM who wanted to DM badly, and he had a good idea how to DM.

Cheers, LT.

helium3

First Post
Particle_Man said:
I've heard that between the DM advice in the DMG and the tactics for each set of monsters given in the MM, that this is a very newbie-friendly game.

Absolutely the best DMG for new DM's ever. But really, it's good for experienced DM's as well. I scoffed at the whole "Major Quest/Minor Quest" stuff when the web article came out on the matter, but now that I'm giving it a try, they really are pretty useful.

Setting up the game's nice and quick now and if I'm gonna waste time I can do it on the stuff I LIKE wasting time on.

Remove ads