OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hossrex

First Post
I love this topic post! Genuinely.

As my gaming group struggles with the decision about whether or not to switch to 4E, I've made very clear that I would either like to try the new edition (just to see what its like), or go back to the original Gygax stuff... partially because its classic (regarding the quote in whomevers signature, I might prefer a 2008 mustang to the Model T... but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be awesome to bust out a tricked out Model T every now and then), and partially because the tragic event last month really had me thinking about *THE* man of DnD. It just makes me want to play the game the *HE* created... and not the games he influenced.

Drawbacks? Of course there are a few. Find me a system without them and I'll do my best to wake you from that lucid dream you seem to be having.

Klaus

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
I recently got out my old 1e books (to study the graphic design, actually, such as it was...)

Not only is there a 1e feel, there's a very specific 1e smell. My 1e books smell like no others I own.

Opened a floodgate of memories and emotions.

The DMG still falls open at my touch to all the most heavily trafficked pages. I can literally hold it by the spine, think of a section, and just let it fall open to that page.
Major ditto.

I sadly don't have the 1e books I learned the game with, other than the Fiend Folio. But they did have a unique smell that induces time travel.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Derro said:
... and three (WTF?) copies of Fiend Folio.
Don't know about Fiend Folio, but years ago we empirically proved that 1e Monster Manuals, when left on their own in a cupboard for any length of time, will reproduce.

Lane-"it's the only way we could explain why we had so many"-fan

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Klaus said:
they did have a unique smell that induces time travel.

I envy you because I inherited my older brother's collection which has a unique smell that reminds me of rodent urine and mildew. I don;t mind though since the reason I ever became interested in mythology, storytelling, and rpgs was after looking through the 1e books back when I was 6.

Pbartender

First Post
Pbartender said:
Keep that kind of language to yourself, buddy - PS

What kind of language? This kind of language?

You can go :):):):) your :):):):)-:):):):)ing :):):):):) :):):):), you god-:):):):)ed :):):):)ing son of :):):):):)ing piece of :):):):).

Or, if it please you, how about in haiku?

Plane Sailing :):):):) off
:):):):) :):):):)ing :):):):):) :):):) :):):):)er
Stupid :):):):)ing Mod.

Last edited:

SSquirrel

Explorer
Kamikaze Midget said:
It's because he doesn't like 4e, isn't it?

There's no lesson to be learned if Morrus is doing what I think he's doing. There will be no joy in Mudville. Even jokes can be taken too far.

KM I'm not even a mod and I'm ready to ban you for that one ;)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Korgoth said:
In OD&D there are no such things, so it's all a Ref call and a roll.

It's probably the best, and worst thing about OD&D right there. If you have an awesome ref who is all about the story, and cinematic, and being very open to the players trying -whatever- ("I leap onto the dragon's back!") then it would be great. But if you have a more railroady GM who likes the control over the PCs (let's face it, we've all played with this kind before), OD&D sucks marbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads