OD&D 4 me (April Fools)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
howandwhy99 said:
Hey! I'm a moderator!

-Thanks Mr. Whisperfoot
Mr. Whisperfoot needs to work on making your username come up in bold above your avatar, then... :)

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Korgoth said:
Edited to reflect my general response (I won't say FIFY because I find that snotty).

I don't think the most codified, RPGA-approved, longer than the OED set of rules can save you from a killjoy DM. I'm not saying there's no reason to choose rules-heavy, but if the reason for choosing rules-heavy is as a defence against doofus DMs, I don't think that will really help.
Agreed. Thing is, there's some out there who think the existence and constant use of lots and lots of rules will somehow magically turn doofus DMs into functional-if-not-brilliant DMs; and it just don't work that way. :)

Lanefan

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Kid Charlemagne said:
Mine smell like the duct tape I used to hold the bindings together! I am however chagrined to learn that I don't remember the page of the combat charts correctly off the top of my head anymore. I thought pg101, it was actually 74.

N00b

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Lanefan said:
Agreed. Thing is, there's some out there who think the existence and constant use of lots and lots of rules will somehow magically turn doofus DMs into functional-if-not-brilliant DMs; and it just don't work that way. :)

Lanefan

Are you suggesting that a lack of rules somehow magically turns doofus DMs into functional-if-not-brilliant DMs?

After all, that lack of rules led my best friend who was always DMing to always populate one room of the dungeon with 16 kobolds. Against my single PC. It was a bloodbath every time. The campaign came down to trying to guess which room would have something randomly in it that I could take out at 1st level.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Wulf Ratbane said:
I recently got out my old 1e books (to study the graphic design, actually, such as it was...)

Not only is there a 1e feel, there's a very specific 1e smell. My 1e books smell like no others I own.

Did you ever get Chivalry and Sorcery? Not to throw this thread off-topic, but those books had a real distinct odor. Then again, so did my best friend's rulebook for Bushido.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Dinkeldog said:
Are you suggesting that a lack of rules somehow magically turns doofus DMs into functional-if-not-brilliant DMs?
No, I'm suggesting there's nothing that can do this, and following up with a corollary suggestion that seeing as a good DM doesn't need lots and lots of rules to be a good DM that the rules just get out of the way and let the game proceed. :)
After all, that lack of rules led my best friend who was always DMing to always populate one room of the dungeon with 16 kobolds. Against my single PC. It was a bloodbath every time. The campaign came down to trying to guess which room would have something randomly in it that I could take out at 1st level.
Henchmen. You needed to drag several henches and hirelings along, to even up the odds a bit....

Lanefan

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Pbartender said:
What kind of language? This kind of language?

(snip)

Or, if it please you, how about in haiku?

(snip)
(scratches head, blinks in amazement)

I'm not sure what exactly happened today. Maybe everyone suddenly started taking crazy pills, or maybe I did and didn't know it. Perhaps the people from the Battle.Net forums hacked everyone's accounts and started posting under false names? I dunno. All I know is, many people that I used to find insightful and dignified have started behaving like...well, much less than insightful and dignified.

I've been following this thread all afternoon because certain posts have elevated my concern about the future of this site and the community it serves. Yet following this thread gets more difficult with every passing hour, because the thread keeps moving from one forum to another without warning, rhyme, or reason. When I finally do manage to track the thread down, this is the kind of crap I find.

If this is all supposed to be a joke, I am not seeing the funny. :mad:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
CleverNickName said:
I've been following this thread all afternoon because certain posts have elevated my concern about the future of this site and the community it serves. Yet following this thread gets more difficult with every passing hour, because the thread keeps moving from one forum to another without warning, rhyme, or reason.
Well, trying to track this thread down is only going to raise your blood pressure. It's much easier to just pick a random forum, sit there, and wait; and the thread will eventually find its way to you. :)

Wandering thread tables for the win!

Lanefan

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
CleverNickName said:
(scratches head, blinks in amazement)

<SNIP>

If this is all supposed to be a joke, I am not seeing the funny. :mad:

Don't worry now that the forum has been pushed back into the late 70s, Andy Kauffman is alive which means that you will eventually see the brilliance in the style of humor forced onto us by the moderators* of this site. If not, then you will be like the majority of Andy's audience who didn't realize they they were the butt of an elaborate joke with a the punchline designed only to piss them off while those in the know laugh at you from behind the stage.

Oh yeah... and VIVA EL HIVE!

* If this day really existed and was not an elaborate prank, then all I have to say is that Loki must be proud.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads