odd idea

Negative Zero

First Post
this may be a potentially silly question but;

can you use a whirlwind attack to do disarm attempts on everyone around you? i've heard the argument made that there is different terminology in the PHB that all refer to the same thing. so i guess in this case the Q is, does "one melee attack at the full base attack bonus against each opponent within 5 feet" include attack actions.

waddaya think?

~NegZ

Crothian

First Post
I allow disarms and sunders as part of WWA. I think it adds a little something extra. It's one thing to attack them all, it's another to disarm them all or destroy all their weapons. A little more stylish if you will.

theridion

First Post
well, logically, it doesn't make sense... hitting a weapon, let alone BREAKING a weapon, is a very difficult combat manuver... not to mention spinning, hitting, and breaking possibly 8 different weapons on opponents(who aren't all holding their weapons out to be broken like a bunch of newbie fighters)...

rules wise, striking a weapon IS a "melee attack"... and, on the logical side, if you are a ranger with maxed out two weaon fighting, you could do a similar thing anyway...

so, i say go for it. though swinging at one opponent, sundering another opponent's weapon, tripping a 3rd opponent, and repeating that alternation would be wierd :)

Last edited:

Why not? :)
It is colorful, interesting, and hardly unbalanced. (Hey, when your are in position where you can use Whirlwind Attack, you are usually in big trouble, so... :) )
And remember that you can use your regular attacks (outside the Whirlwind situation) to switch between these "combat modes", first disarming, than making damage, than tripping...

Mustrum Ridcully

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Without Improved Disarm, this might be a deadly move on your part. Each opponent would get an AoO, and if you fail, they can attempt to disarm you.

Negative Zero

First Post
very very cool. i'm aware of the potential AoOs. this is just a random idea that came to me last nite just before i logged off the boards. i just thought it'd be a really cool visual :)

~NegZ

Dr. Zoom

First Post
It would look very cool. :D :cool:

I am not so sure this should be allowed, though. Using the feat requires you to give up your normal iterative attacks. This seems to imply that you should not get the normal benefits of those attacks, because you get new benefits, like more attacks than usual, and full BAB on all of them. I would probably require you to make your regular attacks if you wanted to disarm, or use WWA if you wanted to strike each of them in a special spinning attack.

Last edited:

Gromm

First Post
Mills Lane Voice: "I'll allow it!"

I don't see why not, though you'd better have some feats to protect against AoO. In the end you'll look cool, but realistically they'll probably just pick up any weapons disarmed and attack you anyway. Sundering is a different story, they'll just have to all grapple you. :)

BMF

First Post
I'd allow it too.

though swinging at one opponent, sundering another opponent's weapon, tripping a 3rd opponent, and repeating that alternation would be wierd

I think it is more practical than sundering or disarming all your opponents at once. Like someone else said, it is unlikely that all the opponents will have their weapons held out to be sundered at the same moment. However, I think it is more believable to think that at any given moment one opponent might be standing in a way that is easy to trip whlie another is leaving himself open to an attack and another is holding his weapon in such a way as to allow for a sunder attempt and so on.

Remove ads