D&D 5E Odd things in the rules that bug you?

pming

Legend
I didn't know this was going to be an edition war thread. Inevitable, really.
Hiya!

Lets start off with an apt emoji ...
🤨

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Edition war? Nobody's mentioned anything about editions from what I've read. Some have pointed out that things were done a bit differently in older editions, but saying that mentioning "in previous editions..." is somehow instigation of an edition war is....well, pretty confusing, tbh.

Care to explain? Or did you just "get that vibe" that it was going to go down this path in the future?

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The idea that a normal work week is 5 days with a 2 day weekend. I can't recall if that's stated explicitly in the core rulebooks, but I do remember Xanathar's stating that. Also, there seems to be a notion that most people work about 8 hours a day.

It hurts my brain to think that the designers honestly think a 40 hour work week is the norm not just throughout the world, but throughout history.
Constantine decreed the 7 day week in 320 AD, 8 hours is an approximation of hours of sunlight - so not weird at all given a Pseudo- European fantasy.

My issue is still the class system and being able to go Barbarian to Wizard with no training

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Pretty much everything posters have already mentioned and so much more...

As a break from 5E D&D, my online group is playing Shadowrun 2E and in reviewing the books I am actually amazed at the complexity of the rules comparatively. It makes 5E look like Chutes and Ladders... and I have a feeling after playing Shadowrun for a while going back to 5E will be very difficult.

R_J_K75

Legend
All of them. I prefer the term guidelines, I use what I want and disregard the rest. Most of the time I'm not even consistent in my rulings game to game, within reason albeit but I'm fair, so we all have fun. If you're talking about a certain gaming session 25 years on then we as our game group have all done our job. Having fun and making those games memorable is all that counts and in all the 45 years of roleplaying I don't think they've made a rule for that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There is so many simplified things made for new players that is jarring with the more detail elements.

Like the armor system and how tight is to fight a small range withing the light, medium, and heavy category. It's a fantasy game. Add more armor type. It doesn't have to make sense. Why does normal armor top off at 18?

R_J_K75

Legend
(C) The assumption that every PC WILL get to level 20...not MIGHT get to level 20, but WILL. Add in the assumption that doing so is "just normal, everyday gaming, no biggie" and it should only take a year at most (seems to be the general consensus IME on various 5e boards and talk).
I can honestly say that in all my years of gaming which is 1982 and forward, I have never had a character or ran a campaign that got passed level 10, if even got to level 10. Either my games are junk or realistic, I cant tell.

Too many armors, too many weapons.

Can't we just have "armor/no armor" and let the class decide what our AC is supposed to be?

Same with weapons... Do we really need to know that greataxe is d12, but maul is 2d6? Just assign a damage dice based on the class, let the players decide what their weapons looks like.

Yes, I'm a fan of 13th Age...

ccs

41st lv DM
Too many armors, too many weapons.

Can't we just have "armor/no armor" and let the class decide what our AC is supposed to be?

Same with weapons... Do we really need to know that greataxe is d12, but maul is 2d6? Just assign a damage dice based on the class, let the players decide what their weapons looks like.

Yes, I'm a fan of 13th Age...

No. Because we're playing D&D, not ______.

Horwath

Legend
No. Because we're playing D&D, not ______.
that might be, but @Delazar idea has merit.

It would cut down on number of weapons as we would not need simple/martial split.

And when you look at those weapons, and how some weapons are placed, you see that the whole idea is pretty stupid;

shortbow is simple, yet longbow is martial weapon? It's the same weapon!

Same with light and heavy crossbow.

Dagger is simple and shortsword is martial. Yet, dagger can be thrown which would requier more basic Training as it two different attacks with a same weapon.
And somehow morning star is more complicated to use than a mace. hahaha!

having one dice higher damage for "martial" classes would clean up most of the weapon category blunders.

Also every non-finesse weapon needs one bump up in damage die/dice.

I.E.
maul/great-ax/greatsword; basic training damage 2d6, martail training damage 2d8.
Longsword/battle-ax/warhammer/morning star/mace: basic 1d8(versatile 1d10), martial 1d10(versatile 1d12)
rapier: basic 1d6, martial 1d8

dwarves/elves could get damage increase of racial weapons from basic to martial or bonus tool(s). no increase over martial damage.

Remove ads