D&D 5E Odd things in the rules that bug you?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
While I agree it's a little unrealistic, I don't see why from a game perspective a gnome on a war dog should get a discount on barding, but a human on a war horse has to pay full price. Like you don't get a special discount on full plate as a small character, or for any other equipment. Why would you get a discount on barding? It's not like small characters on medium mounts are less effective in game terms. Indeed, lances are one of the few ways small characters can get Reach without the Heavy penalty.

From a game perspective, if you want a mount with heavy armor and AC 18, it's 6,000gp.

I'm fine with adjusting weight on the basis of realism, but cost is entirely about making things equitable. yes, this probably means that splint barding for 800gp (if 15 Str) or 3000gp for Half-plate at AC 17 is probably better.
Well, also, much of the cost is the design and labor, plus there is economy of scale to consider. Barding for a war dog would likely take as much, if not more time to make as barding for a horse. And there is likely fewer artisans with experience creating barding for non horses, so they can demand higher prices.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Well, also, much of the cost is the design and labor, plus there is economy of scale to consider. Barding for a war dog would likely take as much, if not more time to make as barding for a horse. And there is likely fewer artisans with experience creating barding for non horses, so they can demand higher prices.
I'm reminded of this cute video by your post

I hasve to agree that the savings in materials are not going to be significantly impacting the cost. Even if they were to be a significant offset the pricing of certain types of equipment (ie weapons armor barding etc) is a gameist balance thing that "realism" shouldn't be smothering.

Remove ads