D&D General Oddball mentions of D&D in popular culture.

My Little Pony (also owned by Hasbro) has Ogres and Oubliettes as an in-universe version of DnD. They don't even try to hide it; I think there was a beholder.

darjr

I crit!
Body Builder, YouTuber, coach, PHD and D&D fan.
Mike from Renaissance Periodization

BDD499C8-FB08-4E59-BC44-5F86760B4710.jpeg

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t know if they are oddball, but many of the references in popular media include:
ET
Big Bang theory
Cloak & Dagger
Stranger things (of course)
Reno 911
Air Heads movie
IT Crowd
Community
Stephan Colbert frequently
Mangellio (sp) clap back against a pro wrestler on Twitter
Futurama
Adventure Time has a very D&D feel to it.

There's a Hardy Boys novel called "Dungeon of Doom" from the 80s that centers around the duo playing an obvious D&D expy, then getting trapped in a LARP style dungeon built in an old mine. I had it in a box set that also included the book where learned about the internet (cradle modem era) and had to save the life of their sysop.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
My Little Pony (also owned by Hasbro) has Ogres and Oubliettes as an in-universe version of DnD. They don't even try to hide it; I think there was a beholder.

Which of course is one of the few monsters that's Product Identity (i.e. copyrighted), so it's only in there because it's a Hasbro product.

It's a pretty clear way to make an expy--there are plenty of retroclones, particularly OSR; so far I can find Bandits & Basilisks, Bandits & Battlecruisers, Dangers & Dweomers, Exemplars & Eidolons, Hulks & Horrors, Mages & Monsters, Shinobi & Samurai, Swords & Six-Siders, but I know there are others.

cmad1977

Hero
Last night I was going off the top of my head, but wikipedia has many more references. I still say that Borderlands 2, Tiny Tina's Adventures, while being a FPS and using Borderlands mechanics, felt more like a D&D game than most actual licensed D&D games lol.

That was an amazing expansion.

Coupled with the fact that the entire game was the DMs way of dealing with loss was a pretty cool touch.

Bolares

Hero
Last of us 2 has an Critical role/D&D easter egg. you can find a table set up with a DM screen, terrain and RPG books in it. In another room there is a mini painting set up.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
A bit of an older one, That 70's Show. Alice Cooper is on the show and Eric thinks he is going to hit on Donna, turns out he ask her if she wants to play D&D, then at the end you see him playing D&D at the Radio Station with others.

That one hit me out of left field.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases