Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

Myth and Legend

First Post
Welcome Fangor. Ummm you don't need to read this 100 page OOC thread man. Just read the IC theads - Off to War, Spider's Path and the current one should be enough.

Dragonwriter

First Post
On the character creation guidelines, it looks like it changed from basic PHB classes with allowable changes to any class, since I see a Duskblade in the Rogue Gallery.

So, when it says any class available, from what books is that referring to? Core classes only, or classes from all WotC books? Complete Series, Draconomicon, etc?

It's not quite "any class." More like, "by request, and you have to provide info." I'm playing Duskblade because I asked and sent HM the info on it, which Myth also reproduced. HM also allowed Deskjob/Marko's class by request.

I have a few options, but wonder which characters are still in the game, as I like to make something that works well with the 'team'. If they are all fighter-type/melee, then I would go with something that would compliment the group.

Looking forward to playing!

The current group of active players is a wizard w/glaive (going for Eldritch Knight, I believe), battle sorcerer, archer-paladin (going for Purple Dragon Knight, if memory serves), sword-and-board soldier, wizard/cleric going for Mystic Theurge, and the duskchain :)p).

But there's no requirement you make something that we lack, it's much more of a "play what you want," since we are able to be separated and pursue other agendas.

Gondsman

Explorer
@FF: it helps a little to read the dialog and skim the flavor text, that's the only way I got through it all in 3 very lazy, do nothing but read the adventure threads, days.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
A new body in the fray and a milestone to remeber and I got the pathfinder players guide, it is a good day :D

Great can I put you and FtF down for group two of The Forge of Fury adventure??

Not talking about d&d movement rules, I'm talking about trigonometry and the length of the hypotenuse of an isosceles right triangle with 15' or 20' legs. the hypotenuse of the 15' legs is about 21' so 20' works to provide cover on that line, but with 20' legs it's 28' and you have 8' on the end that isn't covered, basically that whole last diagonal.

I'm an engineer, trig is my life.

Math and me don't mix, but for the sake of my brain not exploding let's just say that the two side barricades extend 20' (4 squares in D&D lingo ;))

Thanks for the welcome! Question - I have only gone through the first 30 pages of this thread... man, I need a break, eyes hurting!

On the character creation guidelines, it looks like it changed from basic PHB classes with allowable changes to any class, since I see a Duskblade in the Rogue Gallery.

So, when it says any class available, from what books is that referring to? Core classes only, or classes from all WotC books? Complete Series, Draconomicon, etc?

I have a few options, but wonder which characters are still in the game, as I like to make something that works well with the 'team'. If they are all fighter-type/melee, then I would go with something that would compliment the group.

Looking forward to playing!

Yes I guess I never got around to changing that to non-core classes avaibale upon request. (Don't ask for a Warlock I hates 'em.) And you don't need to read all this thread I think once we got running it all is basic stuff about the IC game. So rest your eyes, LOL. All you really need do is figure on a charater concept, class and personality, and what you want them to do in combat.

But if your set on making a character to fit in we have never had a Rogue (or need for one, maybe I should look into that) in Off to War.

Welcome Fangor. Ummm you don't need to read this 100 page OOC thread man. Just read the IC theads - Off to War, Spider's Path and the current one should be enough.

And really not those till you know where you may come in at. If you are in the main camp then Off to War will give you a feel for that. Or if maybe your a villiager or someone who was passing through you could be standing behind a barricade right now, and need only read BaHM. Kind of figure what things your charater might have learned through rumor and seeing the PC's once or twice.

It's not quite "any class." More like, "by request, and you have to provide info." I'm playing Duskblade because I asked and sent HM the info on it, which Myth also reproduced. HM also allowed Deskjob/Marko's class by request.

The current group of active players is a wizard w/glaive (going for Eldritch Knight, I believe), battle sorcerer, archer-paladin (going for Purple Dragon Knight, if memory serves), sword-and-board soldier, wizard/cleric going for Mystic Theurge, and the duskchain :)p).

But there's no requirement you make something that we lack, it's much more of a "play what you want," since we are able to be separated and pursue other agendas.

DW has the right of the group and the fact that seprating is possible. I'm leaning towards a low level elven incursion with Jareth, Marko, Lurik, and Tira as the NPC going to rescue Tharivol. FtF's character could join that group.

While Lora, Trinham, and Claude rejoin with the main army, and deal with an upset Dellex. (With Aidan joining I hope.)

All this is based on survival btw, :eek:

@FF: it helps a little to read the dialog and skim the flavor text, that's the only way I got through it all in 3 very lazy, do nothing but read the adventure threads, days.

I hope it was a fun read Gondsman, we are trying to make it so anyone outside the game can follow/read it like a good story.

HM

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I'm up for just about anything, any info you can give me on that at the moment?

Same for me. I have a few ideas, need to hash them out a little. I like the 'bardarian' type of character, but would need to rework it to fit this game. Rogue, I have played plenty of, and would not mind that, but seeing as this is more of a war type game, it just doesn't have the feel for that type of character.

Barbarian type character with the ability to inspire his comrades in battle, with battle cries, short lines of epic battles, and simply there to dissuade foes if possible. He's the one that you want on your side in a large army type combat, (near upper levels) as he can grant that little *umph* that is needed for those green recruits to go into battle against overwhelming odds.

He's an inspiring character, brings out the best in others, and is not afraid of being a focal point of the enemy...

something like that...

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Oh, and too late, already read through the 80+ pages of this thread. I like the reading, as it helps me to understand the concept more. How it began, how it was molded, and how it's being run today. It helps.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Same for me. I have a few ideas, need to hash them out a little. I like the 'bardarian' type of character, but would need to rework it to fit this game. Rogue, I have played plenty of, and would not mind that, but seeing as this is more of a war type game, it just doesn't have the feel for that type of character.

Barbarian type character with the ability to inspire his comrades in battle, with battle cries, short lines of epic battles, and simply there to dissuade foes if possible. He's the one that you want on your side in a large army type combat, (near upper levels) as he can grant that little *umph* that is needed for those green recruits to go into battle against overwhelming odds.

He's an inspiring character, brings out the best in others, and is not afraid of being a focal point of the enemy...

something like that...
Look into Skald, Dragon Shaman, Marshal or a Barb/Frenzied Berzerker that can inspire frenzy in his allies :)

Dragonwriter

First Post
Only look at Frenzied Berserker if you want us all to die. Frenzy is a bad move, unless we have something to mess with you until it ends (notice how when in a Frenzy, he attacks everything).

I strongly recommend Dragon Shaman. I'm playing one in an OpenRPG game (and have been for almost two years) and they are awesome support + front line (with that extra breath weapon *oomph*). You would not believe how many times the Vigor aura has saved my party members, even at levels 5+ (my DS is the longest-run member of the group, currently ECL 8). And HM has PHB2 now, so it will be easier for him to OK it. ;)

Frozen Messiah

First Post

something like that...

Why not play a Holy Liberator? you get some spells, a celestial companion, full BAB, some good saves, smite, and and aura I think (aura of courage?), and call your rage holy fervor (fluff change but if you want to look into changing it in crunch more power to you) and you have some sort of zealot that charges into the ranks of infidels with no fear.

as for some ideas on how to change barbarian to get what you want:
-see if HM will allow a change for the goad feat to be changed from bluff to intimidate. another feat tweak would be to take intimidating rage but make it so the check is being made to make you seem like such a large threat that they have to attack you.
- switch out trapsense for in-rage-only abilities (battle cries?) that would mimic: aura of courage, inspire courage, goad, marshal auras (all would be for a duration of 1 round+con modifier, non stackable)
- fast movment for a feat (goad, intimidating rage)

just some ideas...

Last edited:

Remove ads