• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

Dragonwriter

First Post
Sorry Dragonwriter we aren't using flaws in this game I didn't know about them but if you want to develop a flaw over time and at the same time develop a feat well that might be cause for looking into. Goes for everyone!! lets develop characters over time and see what we get.

will check your character today... so you can post him in RG and join us...

HM

No biggie. Figured I'd check (though I coulda sworn I gave you that link before, for the DCC #8 game...). Developing them doesn't make much sense to me (seeing as they're supposed to be something you start with and always have), but I'm willing to give it a try.

And to Myth, I applaud you for linking those YouTube videos. Not enough people realize just what the gear and actual fighting (and styles) were like.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Started this game in July didnt know of flaws then found out about them when I was trying to make a character for a game in Sept :)

developed flaw-- missing one arm I'm sure I could help with that one lol

PMed you about swaping didnt know you were still on

And it says Duskblade [PH2] is that the same as this cyrstal keep one i have up????

HM

Dragonwriter

First Post
Started this game in July didnt know of flaws then found out about them when I was trying to make a character for a game in Sept :)

developed flaw-- missing one arm I'm sure I could help with that one lol

PMed you about swaping didnt know you were still on

And it says Duskblade [PH2] is that the same as this cyrstal keep one i have up????

HM

Rather not have that one... Spiked Chain needs two hands... ;)

Yeah, that's the same Duskblade, though Crystal Keep isn't always accurate... They have a distinct tendency to leave things out... Duskblades get Medium and Heavy Armor in addition to Light and all Shields (except tower shields). And the Duskblade spell list isn't on Crystal Keep... grrrrr...... But I only chose spells that are in the PHB to start with anyway.
EDIT: Also, Crystal Keep is wrong about the Quick Cast/day thing... It's 1/day at 5th level, then +1/day every 5th level afterwards (10, 15, 20).

I'd be okay with swapping several things out, since they don't really fit Jareth (med and heavy armor, any other kind of weapon). If you're okay with swinging trading medium and heavy armor and all shields for Dodge (and maybe Mobility?) I'm okay with that trade. And I'd be willing to trade Jareth's entire martial proficiency for Spiked Chain proficiency (though, in all honesty, that may be a bit imbalanced, since Spiked Chains are insanely good), or trade the martial proficiency for a bonus feat like Power Attack, Improved Trip, or Combat Reflexes.

EDIT: And I got your PM about my background. Changing things to Fanshaw instead.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Rather not have that one... Spiked Chain needs two hands... ;)

Yeah, that's the same Duskblade, though Crystal Keep isn't always accurate... They have a distinct tendency to leave things out... Duskblades get Medium and Heavy Armor in addition to Light and all Shields (except tower shields). And the Duskblade spell list isn't on Crystal Keep... grrrrr...... But I only chose spells that are in the PHB to start with anyway.
EDIT: Also, Crystal Keep is wrong about the Quick Cast/day thing... It's 1/day at 5th level, then +1/day every 5th level afterwards (10, 15, 20).

I'd be okay with swapping several things out, since they don't really fit Jareth (med and heavy armor, any other kind of weapon). If you're okay with swinging trading medium and heavy armor and all shields for Dodge (and maybe Mobility?) I'm okay with that trade. And I'd be willing to trade Jareth's entire martial proficiency for Spiked Chain proficiency (though, in all honesty, that may be a bit imbalanced, since Spiked Chains are insanely good), or trade the martial proficiency for a bonus feat like Power Attack, Improved Trip, or Combat Reflexes.

All those swaps seem reasonable-- go down to light armor only and get Dodge/Mobility and lose all martial weapon Profs for a feat

just be sure to note changes somewhere and I may need wysiwyg to check your character because I don't have PHB2 and do you want Tumble as a class skill???

Dragonwriter

First Post
All those swaps seem reasonable-- go down to light armor only and get Dodge/Mobility and lose all martial weapon Profs for a feat

just be sure to note changes somewhere and I may need wysiwyg to check your character because I don't have PHB2 and do you want Tumble as a class skill???

Sure, I'll take care of those on the sheet, with an extra sblock to track the changes.

And I wouldn't mind trading some class skills for Tumble at all. :D

I can picture my character rolling right into the center of a group, lashing out with a vicious chain sparking with electricity, then sweeping their legs out from under them or just knocking them over with the force of the blow. :D

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
*cricket,cricket*

Hmm... very quiet in the IC what would everyone like for me to do??

I could advance the night forward and start marching after which I have a campfire tale to tell. About Martomum/Fallon/Bairan/Dellex I also have an in the Off to War "mission" for a few members (guard duty for Hralfgar and a circle may form for Aidan) and another side quest ready. But you know you don't have to be a part of any of this to still be in campaign the whole reason for this "Style" of play, is to get lost in the crowd for a little bit till you have the time to commit to any part.

Let me know this is OUR game and wants everyone to have a great time.

HM

Just putting this on this page so nobody misses it. ;)

HM

Dragonwriter

First Post
Okay, here's Jareth with the changes we discussed.

[sblock=Jareth, v2]
Name: Jareth Kyras
Player: Dragonwriter

Race: Human
Class: Duskblade (PH2)
Level: 1
ECL: +0 mod/total 1
XPs: 0 current/1000 next level

Patron God: None
Alignment: Neutral
===================================
Str: 16 (10 points)
Dex: 14 (6 points)
Con: 14 (6 points)
Int: 16 (10 points)
Wis: 11 (3 points)
Cha: 8 (0 points)
HP: 10 (d8+2)
AC: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 Armor)
Init: +2
Speed: 30 feet
BAB: +1
Mel: +4
Rng: +3
Fort: +2+2
Refl: +0+2
Will: +2+0
Special Abilities
Race: Bonus Feat, Bonus Skill Point (x4 at 1st level)

Class: Arcane Attunement (6/day), Armored Mage (light), spellcasting

Other:

Feats: Magical Aptitude (bonus HR) Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain), Combat Expertise, Dodge (bonus trade), Mobility (bonus trade), Improved Trip (bonus trade)

Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Orcish

Skills (8/level (2+2 HR+1+Int), x4 at 1st)
Trained or Untrained: +X (=Rank + Stat Mod + Other)
Climb +5 (=3+3-1)
Concentration +6 (=4+2+0)
Jump +5 (=3+3-1)
Ride +5 (=3+2+0)
Sense Motive +4 (=4+0+0)
Swim +4 (=3+3-2)
Listen -4 (=0+0-4)
Spot -4 (=0+0-4)

Trained Only: +X (=Rank + Stat Mod + Other)
Knowledge (arcana) +7 (=4+3+0)
Spellcraft +9 (=4+3+2)
Tumble +5 (=4+2-1)
Magic Items (location, weight): None

Other Equipment:
Weapons: Spiked Chain +4 melee (2d4+4 piercing, 10 lbs, 25 GP)

Armor, Clothes: Studded Leather (+3 AC, +5 max DEX, -1 ACP, 20 lbs, 25 GP), Traveler’s outfit (free), Signet Ring on his left index finger (5 GP, 0 lbs)

-----------------------------------
Container: Backpack

Contents: bedroll, hemp rope (50 ft.), 2 sunrods, 10 days of trail rations,

Container: Belt Pouch 1

Contents: flint and steel, waterskin,

Container: Belt Pouch 2

Contents: coins

And a spell component pouch on his belt as well.

Money
PP: 6
GP: 13
SP: 10
CP: 0
Gems/Other: 0
Load
Light: 0-76 lbs.
Medium: 77-153 lbs.
Heavy: 154-230 lbs.
Current: ~65 lbs.
Magic
Caster Level: 1 (DC 13+level)
Spells per day: 3/3
Lvl 0 Spells: Touch of Fatigue, Acid Splash, Ray of Frost, Disrupt Undead
Lvl 1 Spells: Color Spray, Shocking Grasp
Lvl 2 Spells:
Lvl 3 Spells:
Lvl 4 Spells:
Lvl 5 Spells:
Lvl 6 Spells:
Lvl 7 Spells:
Lvl 8 Spells:
Lvl 9 Spells:
Description (include Age, gender, height, weight, physical description):
Jareth is a young man, barely 19 years of age, standing at 5’10” and weighing about 115 pounds. His short red hair frames a soft-looking face, while his bright green eyes seem to always be searching for something. He cuts a reasonable figure, taut muscles in his arms and chest, a slim waist and all-around athletic build. However, his face is regularly scowling (no matter what he is thinking) and he has a tendency to hunch a little.
He generally wears his slightly-beaten suit of studded leather armor, and coils a vicious-looking length of spiked chain at his hip. The chain never leaves his side, though he does remove the armor at times. The strange weapon is not the only thing that tends to set him apart… A signet ring with the blazoning of a sword lying across a book can sometimes be glimpsed on his left index finger, though he usually wears gloves which cover the ring itself.
History:
Jareth was born the second son of four (and had two younger sisters) to Pesh’s ambassador to the elves. While he was a good kid, he was lazy, despite his parents trying to instill a work ethic in him. Much to their own detriment, his father tried to get young Jareth interested in the magic of the elves. The kid was too lazy for all that book-studying, though he did enjoy the results of magic. He preferred to play around, running, climbing and mock-fighting with his brothers. His father appealed to a half-elven friend, a skilled duskblade in his own right, to help him and find a path for his son. This friend, Tharivol Ilphunodel, watched the boy and learned more about him and his interests, then offered to train him in the ways of the elven warrior-mages, the Order of the Duskblades. The child (actually, by this time he was 12) was skeptical, but agreed to watch Tharivol show what he might be able to learn.

The half-elven sword-wizard hugely impressed the boy, throwing small blasts of fire at a simple dummy and slicing expertly through the air with their razor-sharp swords, leaving glistening arcs of lightning in the air when they missed and vicious blasts of electrical discharge when they landed. He thrilled at the opportunity! Over the next six years, Tharivol trained him in secret, though his own understanding and teaching was different from his own instructors, teaching Jareth a different fighting style. The boy demonstrated an uncanny knack for the art of the duskblades, even learning how to skillfully wield the unusual spiked chain (though his first try ended with him badly spraining his wrist). However, he didn’t care for his parents nigh-constantly pushing him to do more. He would occasionally lash out at them verbally, not thinking of what he would say. His training wasn’t quite done when his father was recalled by Pesh’s government to speak with the Treylor Empire, to try diffusing the slowly growing hostilities. Tharivol offered to keep the boy on and finish his training, then send him along to his father, to which they all agreed, though Jareth’s father left with some regret.

The next year saw Jareth finish his training, upon which his half-elven teacher presented him with a new chain to use as a weapon, one he said had been commissioned by his father as a gift for him when he was finished. Tharivol gave him a mount and directions to reach his father in Treylor. The young man, though, had different ideas. He rode back to Pesh, sold the horse and started working as a bodyguard for merchants and the like. Two months after his arrival, soldiers appeared at the small apartment he was staying in. They brought grim news… His father had been executed in Treylor as they mobilized for war, and of the rest of his family, there was no word. The soldiers handed him a consolation letter from the government and his father’s signet ring, then left abruptly. Jareth was stunned…

He sat there, ignoring hunger and the passage of time, simply in shock. Then he realized what he needed to do. His father had been the reason for his talents and his current work. He would use them against Treylor, would make Treylor pay in blood! He immediately went to the nearest army garrison, volunteering to head straight to the front lines…
[/sblock]

And here's a list of the changes/trades I made from the first sheet. Let me know if they're okay or if I should change anything else.

[sblock=Changes]Traded Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiency and Shield Proficiency for Dodge and Mobility feats.

Traded Proficiency with all Martial weapons for bonus feat (Improved Trip).

Traded class skills Craft, Decipher Script, and all Knowledge except Arcana for Tumble as a class skill.

I also rearranged some skill points (removed 1 from Climb, Ride and Swim each, placed them into Jump) and swapped all the skill points that were in Decipher Script for Tumble (4 ranks).

And, I changed his background as requested. [/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

That background will fit nicely into what I have planned in the near future. +45xp and after I get someone to check your duskblade crunch you can post him into the RG.

Remember that the last time you saw your mentor was almost a year before you signed on and play out that 8 cha you can get tips from ML :lol:

HM

Dragonwriter

First Post
LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

That background will fit nicely into what I have planned in the near future. +45xp and after I get someone to check your duskblade crunch you can post him into the RG.

Remember that the last time you saw your mentor was almost a year before you signed on and play out that 8 cha you can get tips from ML :lol:

HM

Wonderful. Thanks very much! :)

I figure on playing him as kinda gruff/surly, though well-educated (semi-noble, high INT).

And I'll be ready and waiting for whenever he gets checked out.

Remove ads