Offensive Prescience and "damage roll"

Incanus.mb

First Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I have a simple question about the psionic power "Offensive Prescience":

Your awareness extends a fraction of a second into the future, allowing you to better aim blows against your opponent. You gain a +2 insight bonus on your damage rolls.
Augment

You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.

1. For every 3 additional power points you spend, the insight bonus gained on your damage rolls increases by 1.
2. If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action

Are the "damage rolls" of a power (by example) augmented by this power too? It seems a bit scary to me (but why not!). I searched extensively in the official FAQ and elsewhere but cannot found a clear explanation (or a clear definition of what is or not a "damage roll").

Plus, the power description ("allowing you to better aim blow") make me wondering how it could be compatible with the damage roll of a spell o_O, it seems more coherent with the use of a weapon isn't it? But i could be (totally) wrong.

Well, if so, with a basic power like Mind Thrust, augmented, a level two Psion could dish 2D10+4 (or+2? not sure here too) damage. It seems a bit much to me (but after all it's rather uncertain and could be overall balanced, i don't know).

What do you think? Any help would be really welcome :)! I don't have a long experience with psionics and i'm a bit confused, as you can see!

Thanks

Ungruush

First Post
As far as the Offensive Prescience goes, i would say you could use it for any and all attacks that deal damage...simply add a +2 after all the dice have been rolled and every other factor has been added up...and dont forget you'll have to be at least 7th lvl to be able to cast it as a swift action, and odds are you will have some nastier tricks up your sleeve...shouldnt be fretting about +2 on ANY damage roll at that point (you should have energy missile by then :))

Incanus.mb said:
Well, if so, with a basic power like Mind Thrust, augmented, a level two Psion could dish 2D10+4 (or+2? not sure here too) damage. It seems a bit much to me (but after all it's rather uncertain and could be overall balanced, i don't know).

Well, a 2nd level Psion could only buff it up with one more power point, considering his manifester level is only 2, so 2d10 (no added damage for manifester level) is all he could dish out with that power...but assuming you have an 18 for an intelligence score, using that ability effectively drains 1/5 of your power points for the day...

good with the bad, i guess

Bacris

First Post
See, here's where it depends on if you get rules-lawyer or not.

The reason I say this is the section in the PHB / SRD on combat discusses the "attack" sequence - attack roll, followed by damage roll. While the section in the Powers overview in the XPH / SRD merely says "THE POWER’S RESULT
Once you know which creatures (or objects or areas) are affected, and whether those creatures have made successful saving throws (if any were allowed), you can apply whatever results a power entails."

So, does it only work on the "damage" rolls of attacks, or any time you "roll dice" for damage. I'd be inclined to go with allowing both.

Now, as Ungruush pointed out, a 2nd level telepath can only manifest a 2 pp power. +4 would cost 7 pp, so the 2nd level telepath can't do that. And you don't add the +2 to each die, only the total roll.

And as for effectiveness, you need a round of prep to get that buff into effect and it only lasts 2 minutes at your level, which means the first round of combat, you're buffing yourself for a +2 to damage. If your attack fails, your buff really hasn't done you any good.

Finally, that mind thrust might look good, but it's Will negates. If your target makes their saving throw, you do 0 damage. It is by far one of the worst damage powers available because of that. 2d6 save for half, least you're guaranteed to do 1 point of damage ;)

Incanus.mb

First Post
Thank you Ungruush and Bacris, after reading your (very clear!) explanations, i think you are both right.

I will let my Psion player use it on powers damage rolls (he will be happy^^), it seems balanced , if you compare it with spells (or attacks) etc..of the same levels and if you factor in the power point cost and the Will save negate.

That's nice to have answered my question so quickly and so completely, guys!
/bow :D

Remove ads