D&D General Official D&D In Decline. Source Hasbro.

Zardnaar

Legend
interesting, my highlights were copied directly from Hasbro’s own summary in the first link

I also doubt that D&D tabletop grew by 50% or so, so no idea what they are referring to there, don’t think that can all be BG3 fees either, but maybe it can?

Are people quoting same thing here? Financial report vs power point presentation?

Had a quick look but big headache/insomnia.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Next year will be a great sales year
Hasbro doesn't seem to think so:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 08-12-13 PowerPoint Presentation - Hasbro Q4 2023 Earnings Presentati...png

delericho

Legend
the movie counts towards entertainment, not WotC, and it was a loss
Yes, but it did lead to a massive increase in searches for D&D. Which we were led to believe would lead to a corresponding increase in sales.

But, yes, given the hopes pinned on the movie for growing the IP, it may well be considered a middling to huge disappointment within WotC, regardless of what they say publicly.

(Or not. That's possible, too.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I was thinking from a D&D sales perspective and not including Magic and Digital.
So that would mean...Hasbro is predicting strong D&D sales which are more than offset by even more dismal sales of M:tG and other WotC properties?

aco175

Legend
So that would mean...Hasbro is predicting strong D&D sales which are more than offset by even more dismal sales of M:tG and other WotC properties?
I do not know if Hasbro is predicting a strong D&D year, I was thinking that since each time a new edition of D&D comes out the company has a good year in that segment. It seems to me that Magic took a dip due to Baldur's Gate game and people are playing that over Magic so they are competing with each other, which I do not know if this is the case.

I have no clue what coconut-shell game they play with all their segments and what what dismal sales mean compared to ok or good sales. The chart does show their EBITA up 75 mil at the end of the day though. I'm not sure where that is coming in though.

mamba

Legend
Yes, but it did lead to a massive increase in searches for D&D. Which we were led to believe would lead to a corresponding increase in sales.
no, I absolutely would not expect a corresponding increase in sales. 50% increase in searches maybe gets you a 5% increase in sales, if that.

We know the tabletop sales however, they were flat (actually MtG gaining a bit, which means D&D must have declined a bit for the total to remain flat).

Remove ads