• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official D&D Sage Advice Compendium Updated

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium. New things: [NEW] Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature...

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium.

New things:

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature. Your choice for the racial trait is your actual ancestor, while the choice for the class feature could be your ancestor figuratively—the type of dragon that bestowed magic upon you or your family or the kind of draconic artifact or location that filled you with magical energy.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Do the benefits from Bardic Inspiration and the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell stack? Can they be applied to the same roll? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes, different effects stack if they don’t have the same name. If a creature makes an ability check while it is under the effect of a [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell and also has a Bardic Inspiration die, it can roll both a d4 and a d6 if it so chooses.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is the intent that a bard gets to know the number rolled on an attack roll or ability check before using Cutting Words, or should they always guess? If used on a damage roll, does Cutting Words apply to any kind of damage roll including an auto-hit spell like [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]
You can wait to use Cutting Words after the roll, but you must commit to doing so before you know for sure whether the total of the roll or check is a success or a failure. You can use Cutting Words to reduce the damage from any effect that calls for a damage roll (including [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]) even if the damage roll is not preceded by an attack roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does the fighter’s Action Surge feature let you take an extra bonus action, in addition to an extra action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Action Surge gives you an extra action, not an extra bonus action. (Recent printings of the [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Player’s Handbook [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]no longer include the wording that provoked this question.)

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a bound and gagged druid simply use Wild Shape to get out? It’s hard to capture someone who can turn into a mouse at will. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Transforming into a different size can be an effective way of escaping, depending on the nature of the bonds or confinement. All things considered, someone trying to keep a druid captive might be wise to stash the prisoner in a room with an opening only large enough for air to enter.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a monk use Stunning Strike with an unarmed strike, even though unarmed strikes aren’t weapons? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks, and an unarmed strike is a special type of melee weapon attack. The game often makes exceptions to general rules, and this is an important exception: that unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks despite not being weapons.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can the rogue’s Reliable Talent feature be used in conjunction with Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. Each of these features has a precondition for its use; Reliable Talent activates when you make an ability check that uses your proficiency bonus, whereas the other two features activate when you make an ability check that doesn’t use your proficiency bonus. In other words, a check that qualifies for Reliable Talent doesn’t qualify for Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades. And Remarkable Athlete and Jack of All Trades don’t work with each other, since you can add your proficiency bonus, or any portion thereof, only once to a roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The Shield Master feat lets you shove someone as a bonus action if you take the Attack action. Can you take that bonus action before the Attack action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. The bonus action provided by the Shield Master feat has a precondition: that you take the Attack action on your turn. Intending to take that action isn’t sufficient; you must actually take it before you can take the bonus action. During your turn, you do get to decide when to take the bonus action after you’ve taken the Attack action. This sort of if-then setup appears in many of the game’s rules. The "if" must be satisfied before the "then" comes into play.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is there a hard limit on how many short rests characters can take in a day, or is this purely up to the DM to decide? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The only hard limit on the number of short rests you can take is the number of hours in a day. In practice, you’re also limited by time pressures in the story and foes interrupting.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]If the damage from [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]reduces a half-orc to 0 hit points, can Relentless Endurance prevent the orc from turning to ash? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. The [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell turns you into dust only if the spell’s damage leaves you with 0 hit points. If you’re a half-orc, Relentless Endurance can turn the 0 into a 1 before the spell can disintegrate you.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What happens if a druid using Wild Shape is reduced to 0 hit points by [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? Does the druid simply leave beast form? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The druid leaves beast form. As usual, any leftover damage then applies to the druid’s normal hit points. If the leftover damage leaves the druid with 0 hit points, the druid is disintegrated.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Using 5-foot squares, does [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]affect a single square? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT](5 ft. cube) can affect more than one square on a grid, unless the DM says effects snap to the grid. There are many ways to position that cube.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What actions can monsters use to make opportunity attacks? Are Multiattack and breath weapon actions allowed? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A monster follows the normal opportunity attack rules ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]PH[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 195), which specify that an attack of opportunity is one melee attack. That means a monster must choose a single melee attack to make, either an attack in its stat block or a generic attack, like an unarmed strike. Multiattack doesn’t qualify, not only because it’s more than one attack, but also because the rule on Multiattack ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]MM[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 11) states that this action can’t be used for opportunity attacks. An action, such as a breath weapon, that doesn’t include an attack roll is also not eligible.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]stinking cloud [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell says that a creature wastes its action on a failed save. So can it still use a move or a bonus action or a reaction? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Correct. The gas doesn’t immobilize a creature or prevent it from acting altogether, but the effect of the spell does limit what it can accomplish while the cloud lingers.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does a creature with Magic Resistance have advantage on saving throws against Channel Divinity abilities, such as Turn the Faithless? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Channel Divinity creates magical effects (as stated in both the cleric and the paladin). Magic Resistance applies.

I wish the reply on stinking cloud had been more precise - since losing action loses you your bonus action too. Movement and reactions are fine but *technically* spending your action stretching is not the same as losing your action or cannot take action so this reply means...

Inside stinking cloud with failed save, I can still use bonus action abilities and spells that are otherwise legal.

If that's the actual intent, fine, but it seems off.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Here's the thing. Harvard wouldn't make a mistake like that and say, "IF you take the Law course at Harvard, you may take a room in the Law dormitory." What Harvard(other colleges) would say is, "IF you enrolled in a Law course at Harvard, you may take a room in the Law dormitory." Enrollment is the trigger, not taking. You are not by any stretch of the imagination "taking" the class until it begins. And you certainly didn't take the class before it ended. Prior to the class beginning you were "going to take it," during the class you were, "taking it," and after the class you have "taken it" or "did you take it? Yes."

No.

I should expand that a bit: sure, 'going to take' indicates a future intention, 'taking a course' indicates the present tense of you are currently within the time period of the start and end of the course, and 'taken the course' indicates that the course has finished.

My 'no' is simply that none of those are the words used by the feat! I'm sure we wish the feat was so clearly written!

The feat uses the word 'take'. "If you take".

To be the past tense, the phrase would be, "If you have taken".

"It rains" = "it is raining", not "it will rain".

"You take" = "you are taking", not "you will have taken".

"If you take", is conditional on a future action. It =/= "if you have taken".

Arial Black

Adventurer
My ruling is not that you CAN divide them. Nor is my reading of RAW. My reading of RAW is that they contain specific exceptions that divide them. The Attack action also has a specific exception that divides it. Movement. RAW provides the exceptions and nothing else by RAW can divide them. I disagree with RAW, so my ruling will allow divisions that are reasonable.

I'm pretty sure that we are both talking about the 5e PHB, so please can you cite where it gives you permission to move during the Dash, Dodge, and/or the Disengage actions?

Y'know, the same way as we can cite the rule which says you can take your bonus action whenever you want on your turn.

Arial Black

Adventurer
The second option would be phrased here as "While you take the Law course, you may take a room."

So, "While you take the Attack action, you may shield shove as a bonus action"? Allowing the shove between attacks.

Also, you don't have to wait until after your first Law lecture has finished to move into the dorm! You are expected to move in before the first lecture of that course even begins.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If the bonus action had to happen after the trigger, then there would be no point in waiting until the end the end of the turn to check because you would already know before then.

This is wrong. At the end of the turn you check, if you didn't attack, you don't get a bonus action and the turn is over. At any time prior to the turn being over, up to and including the end of the turn, you can take your action and prolong the turn. If you do, and it's an Attack action, you will trigger the bonus action from Shield Master.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, you don't. If I understand your position correctly, you believe it qualifies you to use your bonus action only in the part of your turn that comes after the condition has been met. I take the rule on bonus actions seriously when it says, "You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action’s timing is specified," and I don't accept the argument that the Shield Master shove's timing is specified..

Every last bonus action caused by a trigger has timing built in. That timing is the trigger. That's how language commonly works, so that's how it works in 5e. Only bonus actions that have no trigger can be used at any time.

Arial Black

Adventurer
So when the lead rules designer says that "if X, then Y" has special meaning within the rules of the game, and that Shield Master is an example of such a trigger, he's just wrong? Or is it because the PHB wording of Shield Master doesn't specifically contain the word "then" that he's wrong? Or that when he's been telling everyone on many different platforms that the intent of the feat is the shove happens after the Attack action, and that the feat's bonus action is intended to be a finishing move, he's just wrong? Do you just flat-out ignore the entire Sage Advice compendium, or just the question about Shield Master?

With the best will in the world, it must be admitted that JC has, at different times, held opposing views on this. Therefore, he is demonstrably wrong at least once!

Which is why we get our understanding of the rules from...the rules. From RAW.

The RAW wording allows the multiple attacks of the Attack action and the shield shove from the bonus action because of the rules that are written:-

* the rules say you can do each of these things on your turn

* a written rules says you can take your bonus action whenever you want on your turn

* no rule says you cannot

* the Shield Master feat's only specified timing is that both things must happen on your turn

We have written rules that say we can, and no written rules which say we can't.

epithet

Explorer
Every last bonus action caused by a trigger has timing built in. That timing is the trigger. That's how language commonly works, so that's how it works in 5e. Only bonus actions that have no trigger can be used at any time.

Sure. In the case of the Shield Master feat, the timing is "on your turn."

Asgorath

Explorer
With the best will in the world, it must be admitted that JC has, at different times, held opposing views on this. Therefore, he is demonstrably wrong at least once!

Which is why we get our understanding of the rules from...the rules. From RAW.

The RAW wording allows the multiple attacks of the Attack action and the shield shove from the bonus action because of the rules that are written:-

* the rules say you can do each of these things on your turn

* a written rules says you can take your bonus action whenever you want on your turn

* no rule says you cannot

* the Shield Master feat's only specified timing is that both things must happen on your turn

We have written rules that say we can, and no written rules which say we can't.

I'll repeat my question for the 4th time: Do you just flat-out ignore the entire Sage Advice compendium, or just the question about Shield Master?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And again, there is no requirement in the wording of SM that you must take the Attack action and only then get the bonus action shield shove.

Yes there is. Since there is no ability to declare an action to come, there is no possible interpretation of take that involves going before the action is being taken. You can squint sideways and interpret it to happen after the first attack. I'll grant you that much, but until that first attack happens, you are not "taking," have not "taken" and are not in any part of "take."

The only written timing requirement is that the Attack action and bonus action shield shove take place on your turn.

This just isn't true. A trigger cannot happen before it actually, you know, happens.

My 'no' is simply that none of those are the words used by the feat! I'm sure we wish the feat was so clearly written!

The feat uses the word 'take'. "If you take".

To be the past tense, the phrase would be, "If you have taken".

"It rains" = "it is raining", not "it will rain".

"You take" = "you are taking", not "you will have taken".

"If you take", is conditional on a future action. It =/= "if you have taken".

The bolded is simply false and I can prove it. If I take a quarter off of a shelf, the action is not being performed at all before I grab the quarter, and is over and done as soon as I pick it up. At no point is there a present tense situation where take = taking. When I grab it, I didn't yet take it as it's still on the shelf. As soon as it lifts off of the counter, I did take it and the action is immediately past tense.

Now, if there is a stack of quarters and I want to take the stack of quarters and I pick one up, at no time did I take the stack. I am taking the stack, so there is a present tense to be had, but "take" is not it.

epithet

Explorer
So when the lead rules designer says that "if X, then Y" has special meaning within the rules of the game, and that Shield Master is an example of such a trigger, he's just wrong? Or is it because the PHB wording of Shield Master doesn't specifically contain the word "then" that he's wrong? Or that when he's been telling everyone on many different platforms that the intent of the feat is the shove happens after the Attack action, and that the feat's bonus action is intended to be a finishing move, he's just wrong? Do you just flat-out ignore the entire Sage Advice compendium, or just the question about Shield Master?

That last question is a great one. I don't ignore the Sage Advice compendium, nor do I disregard the tweets from Crawford, Mearls, & Co. (despite my general opinion that if something is worth saying, it is worth saying somewhere other than "social media." Get off my lawn.) I find Sage Advice to be interesting and informative, and I often find it persuasive. What I don't ever do is consider it authoritative, much less binding. Sage Advice is a suggestion, an offering of advice, meant to help a dungeon master like me to make rulings for my game. It is absolutely not designed to replace my rulings with an official interpretation of a rule--Jeremy isn't mastering my dungeons for me.

Regardless of where you stand on the matter of shove timing, the Shield Master issue has highlighted the fact that Jeremy Crawford is not infallible. It is up to each of us to decide how much weight, if any, to give to his advice (whether from tweets or "official rulings") and then make up our own minds about what the rules require or permit in our games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads