D&D 5E Official Dragonlance Minis Are On The Way!

Wizkids has announced a set of 49 official Dragonlance prepainted plastic miniatures. You can...

Wizkids has announced a set of 49 official Dragonlance prepainted plastic miniatures. You can pre-order them now for an early 2023 release.

dd-dragonlance-media-alert-body-135734-dq7SNlRo-800x588.jpg

The sets available include:

Dragonlance 7 ct. Booster Brick
Dragonlance Kensaldi on Red Dragon
Dragonlance Promo Takhisis Box 1 Retail
Dragon Army Warband
Kalaman Military Warband
Draconian Warband

1.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 5.43.22 PM.png

Stormonu

Legend
Is Dragonlance still worth a read in 2022 or it's too old?
They're worth a read, but keep in mind they were mostly meant for the 13-15 year range, in a Temple of Doom sort of way (i.e., some elements more mature than the audience at some times). There were some elements of the stories that at the time were game changers (Raist not being an "old man", proliferation of dragons & draconians, others that I am forgetting), that are old hat now, so it might not seem as impressive as it did at the time.

They're worth a read, but keep in mind they were mostly meant for the 13-15 year range, in a Temple of Doom sort of way (i.e., some elements more mature than the audience at some times). There were some elements of the stories that at the time were game changers (Raist not being an "old man", proliferation of dragons & draconians, others that I am forgetting), that are old hat now, so it might not seem as impressive as it did at the time.
It’s one of the frustrations of time, seeing how innovative and exciting things become mundane eventually.

I friggin’ love Eberron, and while the setting surely has more players now than ever before, I think many of the players who joined in 5E don’t realize how groundbreaking that setting was in 2004—it was written to flip D&D tropes and stereotypes on their heads. Now most of those “flips” (flexible racial alignments, good Orcs, evil Dwarves, good necromancies, evil Gold Dragons) have been broadened to default assumptions in D&D. While that’s probably a good thing, it does make Eberron feel less special, and so it does feel like something is lost.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I am inspired to imagine Lord Soth leading an army of undead kender...
That wouldn't work, the first time he takes them out, the combined luck will result in them tripping over an artifact that resurrects them all. Next thing you know they're 'borrowing' Soths bones right out from under him... ;-)

I'm very happy there's going to be a separate Draconian pack!

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The new Dragonlance book, on audible for me with my commute, has been enjoyable so far. Worth it in my opinion and the narrator is doing a great job with the voices to know who characters are that she’s speaking for.

Mercador

Adventurer
They’re classics of the D&D genre, why not give them a read?
Some novels aged well, some other don't. I'm currently reading Hugo awards books and some aged way better than others.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I still read some Salvatore novels from time to time when I want some D&D action but never took the time to read Dragonlance. When I tried to get in the Wheel of Time, it feels old style, a tad too near LotR to my taste (at least in the first novel) so I was wondering if Dragonlance would feel the same.

Last edited:

I don't buy minis anymore and are typically unimpressed by Wizkids' efforts (next to say, Games Workshop), but holy crap that Red Dragon rider is A+ totally badass. If I wasn't living in London I'd strongly consider buying it.

Not to derail but I kinda want to Starr collecting minis, which set should I start with to get the standard monsters?
I’m no longer a collector (been out of that stuff for years), so consider my advice in that context.

* If you’re looking for basic monsters, DON’T buy the random packs! You’re unlikely to get what you’re hoping for, so you may end up with lots of minis you don’t want.

* Stores and online often sell singles from the random packs. Sometimes the price for one mini seems steep, but it’s cheap to spend $10 or $20 on one mini than hundreds of dollars hoping to get it randomly.

* WizKids has “battle packs” (or whatever they’re called) with a handful of related minis together. Great for getting a band of skeletons or goblins or whatever. Unfortunately, those packs are like $50 for 5 or 6 minis, which is still a lot if you’ve got a big collection yet to build.

* WizKids also sells TONS of nice unpainted minis for all kinds of monsters and heroes (D&D, Pathfinder, MTG, and maybe even Critical Role are all licenses they have minis for, and they’re all on the same scale). These are cheaper and you can get exactly what you want, but you have to paint them yourself—some people really enjoy that, and others hate it.

* Other brands of unpainted minis exist; Reaper, Games Workshop, etc. Price and quality ranges wildly, and sculpts may not match the artwork in your D&D books

* BEWARE: You will never have enough minis for all common monsters! You will always find yourself wanting more of them. They will begin to take up space and eat up cash, and you’ll find you never use most of them. These are the reasons I dumped them from my life.

* Consider generic minis, such as chess pawns or wooden meeples. You’ll never need to worry about whether it looks quite right when they’re generics, you’ll spend far less money, and you’ll get more use out of each.

* Consider tokens or standees; tokens are flat cardboard, and standees are cardboard attached to a lil plastic base or folded to stand upright. These are cheap, light, easy to store, and have art printed on them. D&D has official tokens, and Pathfinder has official standees, so exact artwork matches are possible! Or print your own with EXACTLY the art you want! If you lose one or need more, no big deal, just print a few more. (I do this, it’s want more economical than real minis. Also I glue my homemade tokens to wooden circles from the dollar store craft section.

* Jellybeans, coins, and dice are all classic techniques too. Dice have built-in HP tracking functionality, and jellybeans give your players a tangible reward for every kill.

Hope this helps.

Remove ads

Remove ads