• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official Nostalgia Thread (thread necromancy)

Hunter Simon

First Post
Mark Hope said:
Heh, excellent :D

On the same topic, I have no idea where I got this from, but it's been sitting on my hard-drive for a couple of years and bears an uncanny resemblence in some places to the above post...

OK. I've been reading all this balderdash and hooey about you people not "not likin' this" and "not wantin' that." . . .

[one of the funniest things I've ever read deleted]

. . . Besides, it will take an army of you whippersnappers to get my treasure!!!

Holy crap, I laughed my ass off at that one. Mark, bless you for posting that, son. :p :p
And thanks for reminding me about the D&D cartoon! The laser bow guy was my favorite!

gizmo33

First Post
29. The "example of play" in the DMG features a PC getting eaten by ghouls! Now that's a game session! I think as a young DM it warped me permanently.

30. The one prestige class in the game actually took some work to qualify for.

Wormwood

Adventurer
31. Character sheets that had an entry for 'last will and testament'.

32. Hirelings and henchmen. "I tell him to walk down the corridor. Does he trip any traps?"

33. Rolling for psionics.

34. "Okay, you kill the babau demon. You find 54 gold pieces, Keoghtom's Ointment, and the Wand of Orcus."

Crothian

First Post
gizmo33 said:
30. The one prestige class in the game actually took some work to qualify for.

and it was really cool.

35) Everything wasn't so Politically Correct. Women and men of the same race could have different attribute maxes. Races had limits on what classes they could take and how many levels they could gain in them.

Sandain

Explorer
DM: By your deliberate actions, you destroyed the entire world! You guys suck.
Us: Yeah, so do we get exp for everything we killed?
DM: Uh yeah, I guess so......
Me: (a long time later) ok my Drow Cavalier/Druid/Illusionist is now level 674

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Character sheets were yeller, but the characters weren't!

You colored half the numbers on your D20 a different color, then made up what color was which after you rolled the dice!

You had a chance of findin' dragons, and only dragons, asleep!

There was a chance that the dragon was a liar! (% liar...)

All magic swords glowed!

You could forget to name your character, and go up three levels before anyone even noticed!

You used a lot more exclamation points!!!

The Auld Grump

Runesong42

First Post
sfgiants#28 said:
Hand in hand with above. For those poor cheap suckers who couldn't find a monster manual, you used the stats from the back of the DMG. And liked it. So what if it only said Demon Type 4, had no picture, and no information. You had no MM and liked it!

YES, YES, a million times yes!

I don't know how many encounters with monsters I had to produce from glancing at the stats in the back of the DMG. And Gygax help you if you had to assign treasure...

Might as well throw in:

37) When you only had the Expert Box set, the AD&D DMG, and dice scrounged from who knows where to play; when you had no concept of Hit Dice; when you assumed characters had 100 Hp/level and priests could Raise Dead anytime they wanted (since there were no spells/day lists in the Expert set)... yup, my first D&D days were messed up.

TheGM

First Post
There were no official critical hit rules, but everyone just doubled damage on a natural 20.
Of course, some doubled dice, others doubled totals, but "Meh! What's a few points here or there?"

Remove ads