• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official Nostalgia Thread (thread necromancy)

Steve Jung

Explorer
You didn't get to pick your secondary profession. You rolled for it on a table. So what if Thog the desert warrior got sailor or shipwright. You dealt with it and you liked it. And another thing, characters didn't get wimpy diseases like cackle fever. Cackle fever? That's what you get from watching Comedy Central. No, we had parasitic infestations that could kill you and you had to check to see if you got one every month. And we liked it.

Greenstone

First Post
41. There were so few published adventures, EVERYONE you knew had played the same modules, over and over again in many cases, so if you said one key word, EVERYONE knew what you meant... "Quasqueton... Saltmarsh... Tsojcanth"... .

42. You played without any thought of a 'world' outside the dungeons... in my first camapign we went through B1, B2, B3, U1, A1-4, S3 and S4 without every seeing a world map... and we didn't mind.

43. Once you realised that there must be a world your character was walking around in, you thought that it HAD to be Greyhawk. In fact, Greyhawk was the ONLY world you knew of... and evntually you knew it better than your own country... .

44. You made your own character cards - eventually these became 6-page works of art, with covers and all. But the "Hit Points" block and the "To Hit" table chart always ended up a faded or torn-up mess from all the erasing...

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Ah, old school D&D, where men were men, and sheep were scared. :]

Hunter Simon said:
Listen, you Vampire-playing drama queen, what part of "To go adventuring" do you not understand?

You think Vampire's not full of hack 'n' slashers, think again. :(

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Hunter Simon said:
WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS SERIOUS NOSTALGIA ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAYS. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 30 YEARS OLD TO CONTRIBUTE MEANINGFULLY.

Remember the good old days, when men were men, women wore chainmail bikinis, and monsters were for killing? What’s that, you say? You’re all too damn ** young **? You’re all under 30? WTF? Eh? Wassat? You don’t even know when the Good Old Days WERE? WHAT? You think the Good Old Days occurred during the release of the first PlayStation?

<snip>

:) all nicely said Simon. And the "vampire drama queen" quote is awesome. :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
TheGM said:
There were no official critical hit rules, but everyone just doubled damage on a natural 20.

Or used "the greatest critical hit charts ever written"....Dragon #39. The "Good Hits, and Bad Misses..." article.

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
derbacher said:
31. Ability scores were rolled by 3d6 IN ORDER and you played whatever class fit what you rolled.
Stats were in the order
Strength
Intelligence
Wisdom
Constitution
Dexterity
Charisma

No namby pamby grouping into physical and mental attributes

If you had 18 Strength it had a % number after it.

Diaglo was already saying OD&D(1974) is the only true game everything else is a pale imitation.
:lol:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Hunter Simon said:
20. We pronounced “Paladin” as “Pad-ah-lin”.

and along the same lines...

45. We pronounced J-U-I-B-L-E-X as "Ju-bi-lex", never noticing the "i" came before the "b"

45a (edited in). Artifacts were some of the coolest magic items in the DMG because we had those super cool charts to roll on for Powers, lesser powers, and side effects. :)

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
BTW, I'm not quite 30, but have been gaming for over 20 years, so I think I count in this context :)

46. Savingthrow and Attack charts made little sense, but you stuck to them religiously.

47. You yelled at your cleric if he EVER cast a spell that wasn't a healing spell.

48. If a stat was less than 15, it was considered weak.

49. You cheared when you got a 17 in a primary stat so you could laugh as you earned your 10% bonus in EXP and your buddy didn't.

50. The wand of wonder :)

51. You devised elaberate systems for dividing treasure, and took the coolest thing even if you couldn't use it.

Remove ads