OGC Wiki (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Denaes said:
Nothing probobly will happen until Mearles ponies up with his content he promised.

What do people have to easily start with? BESM d20?

I expect a lot is going on behind the scenes. Getting the wiki set up and all that. But instead of asking me here you could always ask Mearls at his LJ. He does take comments you know.

XCorvis

First Post
Denaes said:
But how would you categorize everything? Without a publishers consent you can't declair compatability. So how are you going to diffentiate in a meaningful way the difference between Spycraft 1.0, Spycraft 2.0, Grim Tales, Conan, True20, etc?

If the book includes Open Game Content (OGC) and is released under the Open Game License (OGL), it must specify what is open. That content can be freely copied and reused without publisher consent. Really, by including OGC, they have already consented.

As for categorizing it, just post "This content is from GAME SUPPLIMENT X, published by BLAH BLAH" (along with the OGL with correct section 15 and other things to make it compliant).

Denaes

First Post
XCorvis said:
As for categorizing it, just post "This content is from GAME SUPPLIMENT X, published by BLAH BLAH" (along with the OGL with correct section 15 and other things to make it compliant).

I think thats required in the copywrite notice, but you can't advertise it. Like you can't have links to the True20 OGC. True20 is owned by Green Ronin and you can't claim compatability with it for any derrived works, which this would technically be. Well you can't claim compatability even with non derrived works either :p

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Open RPG Wiki (a suggestion by Mearls)

Well, I was cruising rpg.net during lunch when I came across the following thread - http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=214244 - in which they are discussing the most recent blog entry by Mearls, where he is suggesting the creation of a wiki for listing all open content.

Blog entry can be found here - http://www.livejournal.com/users/mearls/

I am going to withhold my own opinions on this for now, but I thought it would be interesting to get other opinions as well. :D

Crothian

First Post
I think as a fan, this would be very useful. If it was well organized and had nice crosslinks it could be a great time saver.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Someone before Mearls even suggested this a month or two ago here on these forums. My response, now as then, is that it's a really cool idea, but the legal execution of it, with the way that Wikis are structured, would be a nightmare. The OGL is great for sharing content among vendors, but trying to keep Joe Gamer from accidentally (or intentionally) posting someone's protected IP would be insane. If there were a safeguard against that, it'd be something I could contribute and maintain, but not until then.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'll repeat here what I did at RPG.net.

TO show that he's serious, Mike needs to put every product's OGC that he's worked on into that Wicki first. He can start with Iron Heroes and work his way backwards from there. Otherwise it's just pie in the sky, "Man, an ice cream sunday would be nice now, but I'm at work" thinking. Let him show that he's willing to overcome the wording on some of the OGL material out there as opposed to letting others do it and let him start with the products he's helped write and put onto the market.

Roudi

First Post
I already expressed my thoughts on this issue when debating with the founders of the d20 NPC Wiki. I guess, coming from me, it just wasn't a good enough idea to take seriously. From someone like Mearls, however...

I'm going to wait for someone to step up and do this, rather than debate it's viability. I know it can work, and I think it would be a really good resource for the players and gamemasters who rely on the internet. I would start such an idea myself, but I cannot afford webhosting for a Wiki nor do I have the time to learn how use Wiki software. As I figure, I already contribute a lot to the community by providing free new OGC material by publishing MODERNIZED. I'd do more if I could. I hope someone who has the resources also has the kohonas to step up and do this properly.

Crothian

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
I'll repeat here what I did at RPG.net.

TO show that he's serious, Mike needs to put every product's OGC that he's worked on into that Wicki first. He can start with Iron Heroes and work his way backwards from there. Otherwise it's just pie in the sky, "Man, an ice cream sunday would be nice now, but I'm at work" thinking. Let him show that he's willing to overcome the wording on some of the OGL material out there as opposed to letting others do it and let him start with the products he's helped write and put onto the market.

I disagree. Its a time factor and it really needs to be hgeaded by someone who has the time to really do it right which Mearls might not have. I know I've placed ideas out there (none this big) that I didn't have time to do hoping someone would take the inatiative and organize it.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Denaes said:
I think thats required in the copywrite notice, but you can't advertise it. Like you can't have links to the True20 OGC. True20 is owned by Green Ronin and you can't claim compatability with it for any derrived works, which this would technically be. Well you can't claim compatability even with non derrived works either :p

Why claim compatibility? Especially when you're only producing a compilation of OGC material. Be sure to include the appropriate copyright notices in Section 15 of the OGL and you'll be clear.

After all, we are talking about an OGC wiki, not Marquis d'Sade True20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads