OGL 1.2 survey is now live

FormerLurker

Adventurer
I suspect that the vast majority of people would be satisfied with WotC backing off and affirming that the OGL v1.0a cannot be revoked/de-authorized (and, perhaps, taking action to prove that, such as by releasing an OGL v1.0b with language that effect).
I'm not even sure what you're arguing about.
I said:
There's nothing that would appease some people short of blood.
Emphasis added.
Some people. Not all. Not every gamer. Not 100%. Or even most.
Yeah, there are some people who would accept WotC walking back the change. And there are some here who just want to burn it all down.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Some people. Not all. Not every gamer. Not 100%. Or even most.
Yeah, there are some people who would accept WotC walking back the change. And there are some here who just want to burn it all down.
If you're willing to accept that the majority of people affected by what WotC is doing aren't in that latter category (and I think it's worth reiterating that most aren't; most people who are angry are angry because they want to see, beyond a return to the status quo, that unjust actions have consequences), then quite frankly this strikes me as a concern that isn't worthy of the amount of alarm, or attention, you're giving it, and that doing so only serves to drown out the much more important conversations that are taking place with regard to WotC's recent actions.

FormerLurker

Adventurer
I very much doubt this, I think everyone would be happy if we were back to 1.0a
Follow the chat chain up and you'll see that when I made that statement I was responding to someone who said:
They need to significantly sweeten the deal, and they need to start acting in good faith. But even then, nobody will believe them if they just suddenly switch to being honest. They're proven liars now. If they fire the people responsible, it might might restore enough trust to get negotiations going. But I'm afraid the responsibility here goes all the way up to the Hasbro board of executives.
There's no shortage of people with that attitude on these forums alone, who just want vengeance now and won't even accept a reversal.

mamba

Legend
Follow the chat chain up and you'll see that when I made that statement I was responding to someone who said:
yeah, heat of the moment, and even if this is true, so what, that is what, 100 people out of 100k that will reply / have cancelled their DDB account ? You are blowing this way out of proportion, and frankly, I cannot blame them either.

Scribe

Legend

There's no shortage of people with that attitude on these forums alone, who just want vengeance now and won't even accept a reversal.

Frankly if I was Hasbro's board, I would be asking some pretty pointed questions as to who thought it was a great idea to shower the brand in negative world wide mainstream attention.

FormerLurker

Adventurer
yeah, heat of the moment, and even if this is true, so what, that is what, 100 people out of 100k that will reply / have cancelled their DDB account ? You are blowing this way out of proportion, and frankly, I cannot blame them either.
Yeah, of the people who cancelled DDB (which was 5 digits and closer to 50k according to reports, which is still less than a percentage point of DDB's subscribers let alone D&D players) only a minority will not forgive. But this bugs me because it's dominating the conversation and drowning out all the reasonable discussion and voices. All the actual feedback for the new license is being shouted down.

The OGL 1.0a is going away. We need to get over ourselves and bruised egos and accept this. And if we actually care about 3rd Party Publishers like we claim, work to make the new license as good as possible. And forgive WotC and let go of this anger.
Because a healthy WotC and strong D&D helps 3PP.
If D&D takes a nose dive and the audience splits into four or five different games and editions, it will also quarter sales for those 3rd Party Publishers. Assuming they can even make content for those games: there are quite a lot of popular games that have no Open Gaming license or 3rd Party support.

Clint_L

Hero
For me, it's not about whether to "forgive" or not - it's not like I'm in a relationship with Hasbro. It's about the optimal result going forward. I'm also not interested in punishments, or in gratifying an emotional response to the situation. We're here now, so how do we realistically get to a better place, particularly for folks who have their livelihood at stake, but also for those of us who have a lot invested, both financially and otherwise, in the game?

If D&D takes a nose dive and the audience splits into four or five different games and editions, it will also quarter sales for those 3rd Party Publishers. Assuming they can even make content for those games: there are quite a lot of popular games that have no Open Gaming license or 3rd Party support.
Frankly, this is preferable to me. I don't play D&D. I play role-playing games. I don't care which one. And if we're entering the second age of TTRPG litigation, I want Hasbro to hurt for calling off the truce.

Remove ads