OGL 1.2 survey is now live

Filled mine out, don't forget to mention, ya'll...

Q: Can't Wizards of the Coast change the License in a way that I wouldn't like?

A: Yes, it could. However, the License already defines what will happen to content that has been previously distributed using an earlier version, in Section 9. As a result, even if Wizards made a change you disagreed with, you could continue to use an earlier, acceptable version at your option. In other words, there's no reason for Wizards to ever make a change that the community of people using the Open Gaming License would object to, because the community would just ignore the change anyway.

joe b.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I concluded my survey with:

"The only way you're gonna come out of this with a positive reputation is if you follow three steps.

Step 1) Apologize earnestly. Don't try to claw back dignity by complaining about morality or declare both sides the winner. Just acknowledge the mistake and make a promise to fix it.

Step 2) Put the entire SRD into the Creative Commons. Alternatively, write OGL 1.0b which is identical to OGL 1.0a except it adds the line "This license is irrevocable and can never be de-authorized or otherwise removed from full public and private access and use. Works covered under OGL 1.0a are also to be treated as if they hold this license as well, going forward.

Step 3) Make a new GSL or whatever you want for OneD&D. Sure, no one will create 3rd party content for it for a while because of this debacle. But it'll give you the control you so earnestly desire. But in 5 to 10 years when your reputation recovers some 3rd party publishers will probably return and new ones will join the mix, too."

If they want feedback, they'll listen to everyone. If they don't want feedback, they won't listen to everyone. The choice is theirs, as it always has been. Hearing "They leave the 1.0 OGL alone, they can go ruin 1D&D all they like." is a message they should definitely want to listen to.

joe b.
No it's not Scribe has no intention of supporting them with One D&D and has made that clear for months prior to this mess. So Scribe input shouldn't matter cause nothing they do will appease Scribe.

Scribe

Legend
So they shouldn't listen to you basically.

Sorry, should I be on knees when I tell them to leave the license they have no right to mess with alone?

Whats the proper level of pleading, how long must one hold the pose while prostrating before them?

No it's not Scribe has no intention of supporting them with One D&D and has made that clear for months prior to this mess. So Scribe input shouldn't matter cause nothing they do will appease Scribe.

Months before? False. I was reviewing the playtest stuff, I liked some of it even.

Now? Now is a different story as they have proven themselves to be exactly what I always suspected, but they did a decent enough job at hiding from the masses.

Remove ads