OGL: Kobold Press 'Raising Our Flag' For New Open RPG

Kobold Press has announced its plans regarding the upcoming new OGL v1.1, which involves a new, open game codenamed Project Black Flag. Kobold Press has been and always will be committed to open gaming and the tabletop community. Our goal is to continue creating the best materials for players and game masters alike. This means Kobold Press will release its current Kickstarter projects as...

Kobold Press has announced its plans regarding the upcoming new OGL v1.1, which involves a new, open game codenamed Project Black Flag.

BlagFlagKoboldLogo-1536x864.jpg

Kobold Press has been and always will be committed to open gaming and the tabletop community. Our goal is to continue creating the best materials for players and game masters alike.

This means Kobold Press will release its current Kickstarter projects as planned, including Campaign Builder: Cities & Towns (already printed and on its way to backers this winter).

In particular, Deep Magic Volume 2 will remain fully compatible with the 5E rules. We are working with our VTT partners to maintain support for digital platforms.

As we look ahead, it becomes even more important for our actions to represent our values. While we wait to see what the future holds, we are moving forward with clear-eyed work on a new Core Fantasy tabletop ruleset: available, open, and subscription-free for those who love it—Code Name: Project Black Flag.

All Kobolds look forward to the continued evolution of tabletop gaming. We aim to play our part in making the game better for everyone. Rest assured, Kobold Press intends to maintain a strong presence in the tabletop RPG community. We are not going anywhere.

Reynard

Legend
It does seem like a great splintering is upon us. All the systems that can be de-OGL'd will be, and many of them will come with new open licenses or be released under various versions of Creative Commons. Hopefully the most open, most irrevocable licenses with the fewest terms will attract lots of users.
The problem is people can only play one (or a couple) systems at a time. Unless they are very cross compatible, these D&D-likes will be competing instead of mutually beneficial.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
But I like 3.5e and its derivatives...guess those are gonna be gone forever huh? No more what little support is left to get for PF1e and support for 3.5e is all gone.

I hate the TTRPG companies.

One day...if I ever hit that billion dollar lotto...I'm bringing back 3.5e and find a way to buy out D&D and make it what it should be.

At this point, though, that's a dream for another reality.

Makes me wanna just do something to Hasbro/WotC HQ that I can't say out loud...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The problem is people can only play one (or a couple) systems at a time. Unless they are very cross compatible, these D&D-likes will be competing instead of mutually beneficial.
What will be interesting over the next few months is seeing if multiple publishers can coalesce around a single new fantasy game, much like how multiple publishers moved to PF1 in 2008.

It will also be interesting to see if anyone attempts to “Pathfinderize” the 5e kernel.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well, this is interesting. While I would never tell someone to stop working on their own open system, KP has the resources and customer base to actually have it work, while all other 3PP doing systems (like the group I'm working with) will get lost in the chaff.
My honest hope is that as many people as possible write their own open games and release them. It might take a few years, but I can see fans coalescing around certain publishers, systems, or even bits of systems and cobbling them all together to make a game that works best for them and their table. That would be ideal, really. The idea of one big centralized dominant game and game company needs to die here and now.

Exactly. There may be room for an unlimited number of systems but many will only get marginal support. Most people, collectors not included, will not buy and play many systems. Initial sales might be good but as people settle on a system they will stop supporting others. Feels like RPG Hunger Games are upon us.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads