• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OGL: Kobold Press 'Raising Our Flag' For New Open RPG

Kobold Press has announced its plans regarding the upcoming new OGL v1.1, which involves a new, open game codenamed Project Black Flag. Kobold Press has been and always will be committed to open gaming and the tabletop community. Our goal is to continue creating the best materials for players and game masters alike. This means Kobold Press will release its current Kickstarter projects as...

Kobold Press has announced its plans regarding the upcoming new OGL v1.1, which involves a new, open game codenamed Project Black Flag.

BlagFlagKoboldLogo-1536x864.jpg

Kobold Press has been and always will be committed to open gaming and the tabletop community. Our goal is to continue creating the best materials for players and game masters alike.

This means Kobold Press will release its current Kickstarter projects as planned, including Campaign Builder: Cities & Towns (already printed and on its way to backers this winter).

In particular, Deep Magic Volume 2 will remain fully compatible with the 5E rules. We are working with our VTT partners to maintain support for digital platforms.

As we look ahead, it becomes even more important for our actions to represent our values. While we wait to see what the future holds, we are moving forward with clear-eyed work on a new Core Fantasy tabletop ruleset: available, open, and subscription-free for those who love it—Code Name: Project Black Flag.

All Kobolds look forward to the continued evolution of tabletop gaming. We aim to play our part in making the game better for everyone. Rest assured, Kobold Press intends to maintain a strong presence in the tabletop RPG community. We are not going anywhere.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I guess I don’t understand the point. Either it is 5E or it is not. I know that is pretty black and white thinking but I don’t really understand how it is supposed to be different and the same so it works seamlessly but is unique. Huh? Why not just be 5E then? Confusing me even more is the new Kickstarter where one of the stretch goals is Black Flag spells? How would that be different from the other spells. I have backed every one of their 5e kickstarters and bought other material from them but I am getting a little turned off at this point.
I mean, it is 5E. They were working on making a looser, reverse engineered form of 5E, it seems, but now Creatice Commons is an option, so it's just going to be 5E with nee options and modules. And I'm here for the options.

I mean, it is 5E. They were working on making a looser, reverse engineered form of 5E, it seems, but now Creatice Commons is an option, so it's just going to be 5E with nee options and modules. And I'm here for the options.
Yeah I'm very interested to see what KP does with the subclasses. Not to be mean to WotC but the vast majority of subclasses are 4-8 years old, and frankly people (including WotC) got better at design over that time, and better at understanding what actually works/doesn't work in 5E. So I think KP have a huge advantage in designing subclasses over 5E's designers.

Further, they kind of have an advantage over 1D&D's designers, because there's much less pressure on them to precisely emulate existing subclasses. The only areas I expect to see them struggle at all are Paladins and Warlocks, and even then they might be fine.

Also hopefully they can do some sort of well-balanced Psionicist class which isn't trashed just to fit a lowest common denominator on some survey! But maybe I am too optimistic on that!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah I'm very interested to see what KP does with the subclasses. Not to be mean to WotC but the vast majority of subclasses are 4-8 years old, and frankly people (including WotC) got better at design over that time, and better at understanding what actually works/doesn't work in 5E. So I think KP have a huge advantage in designing subclasses over 5E's designers.

Further, they kind of have an advantage over 1D&D's designers, because there's much less pressure on them to precisely emulate existing subclasses. The only areas I expect to see them struggle at all are Paladins and Warlocks, and even then they might be fine.

Also hopefully they can do some sort of well-balanced Psionicist class which isn't trashed just to fit a lowest common denominator on some survey! But maybe I am too optimistic on that!
They'll have a very different spin, too, a little less squeaky clean.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Likewise with spells object interaction rules containers & so on. Maybe even something like a section on different starting arrays/proficiency bonus scaling that carve out various amounts of room to be filled by equipment (ie gm supplied/controlled magic items).

It should be interesting to see what they do with subclasses. I love what KP has put out especially the adventures, world building and monsters. If they have one weakness so far for me it has been their subclasses.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Oh, not really adding anything besides some useless expression of happiness: just received my Black Flag t-shirt, and I feel really pumped up about the upcoming beta!
PXL_20230204_210315878.MP.jpg

I really love KP adventures, and I think the upcoming game can be the right shade of 5e for me....

Edit: by the way, KP posted their weekly update on Black Flag!

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Ok, just read the post, and I like it a lot!

First, the global target: compatible but streamlined:
As announced, Project Black Flag will be compatible with 5E. But there’s more! Kobold plans to revise and sharpen familiar mechanics while offering new, streamlined options for a core tabletop game.

And lots of monsters, yeah!
And what kind of Kobolds would we be if we didn’t show love to our monsters? You can expect a Project Black Flag core book of 400 monsters, fully illustrated! It will include some of your favorite classic fantasy monsters and all new ones to bedevil players.

Some details on February's playtest package!

The first playtest packet in February contains rules and mechanics that focus on character creation.

• Talents & Backgrounds: A new talent system helps players customize their characters with potent Magic, Martial, or Technical advantages.
  • Race & Heritage System: Not every dwarf was raised among dwarves, so we’ve split those aspects to help refine character concept. During character creation, choose a race, which represents a character’s biology, and a heritage to represent upbringing in a particular group or society. Choose a standard match of race and heritage for a more traditional character or mix ‘n’ match to craft a unique origin!

For the moment, I remain very optimistic 😊

edosan

Adventurer
I am cautiously optimistic - I had hoped that OneD&D was going to be more of a general reassembling and fine tuning if all the rules that have come out in the last nine years but based on their playtest documents it doesn’t seem that way.

if Black Flag takes the basic 5e engine that I like a lot and presents it in a tuned up format with some interesting innovations I’d be pretty excited.

it will be interesting to see how all the spin-offs go and be able to pick the best one.

I hope project black flag takes the heritage from levelup and be very close to it in general. Probably just copy anything that is OGC. Would make it a great game.

Last edited:

Received this email today regarding the upcoming playtest process for Black Flag:
A Black Flag Update - How Playtesting Works​
Hello from the Warrens!

If you’re receiving this email, you have signed up for the official Project Black Flag playtesting–thank you!

As previously announced, the first Playtest Packet will release this month, and it will be the first of several. Each month a new packet will arrive with new game elements for you to test and provide feedback on. Packet #1 will focus on character building, including the new Talents and Heritage system. (More details available here [link blog]).

Because the project is close to its first release, here’s an overview of the 3-step playtest process.

1. We ask you, our dedicated audience, to test the waters and provide feedback. This will take place over several months.
2. The internal development and editorial team reviews feedback and makes changes where needed.
3. The game undergoes a final consulting and review process before heading back to the editors for final changes.

In other words, you’re right at the sharp edge of the Black Flag development process, and your feedback matters. That feedback helps Kobold Press provide the best game possible!

After each Playtest Packet release, you will have 10 days to submit your feedback via an short, 5 to 8 question online form. (If you don’t send feedback, we assume you loved it, and you’re ready for the next chunk.)

Thank you for your patience and support during this process. We’re excited about what’s to come and can’t wait to share it with you. Until then, keep those flags raised high.

- Team Kobold

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads