OGL: Kobold Press 'Raising Our Flag' For New Open RPG

Kobold Press has announced its plans regarding the upcoming new OGL v1.1, which involves a new, open game codenamed Project Black Flag. Kobold Press has been and always will be committed to open gaming and the tabletop community. Our goal is to continue creating the best materials for players and game masters alike. This means Kobold Press will release its current Kickstarter projects as...

Kobold Press has announced its plans regarding the upcoming new OGL v1.1, which involves a new, open game codenamed Project Black Flag.

BlagFlagKoboldLogo-1536x864.jpg

Kobold Press has been and always will be committed to open gaming and the tabletop community. Our goal is to continue creating the best materials for players and game masters alike.

This means Kobold Press will release its current Kickstarter projects as planned, including Campaign Builder: Cities & Towns (already printed and on its way to backers this winter).

In particular, Deep Magic Volume 2 will remain fully compatible with the 5E rules. We are working with our VTT partners to maintain support for digital platforms.

As we look ahead, it becomes even more important for our actions to represent our values. While we wait to see what the future holds, we are moving forward with clear-eyed work on a new Core Fantasy tabletop ruleset: available, open, and subscription-free for those who love it—Code Name: Project Black Flag.

All Kobolds look forward to the continued evolution of tabletop gaming. We aim to play our part in making the game better for everyone. Rest assured, Kobold Press intends to maintain a strong presence in the tabletop RPG community. We are not going anywhere.

This is something I really want to happen, but KB press, more than most, on every possible level, really need to take their time.
Definitely.

I love Kobold Press's setting material, but their game mechanical stuff is their weakest point, both in game balance and in precision of language. Deep Magic was a mess. Southlands and Tome of Heroes are significantly improved but still have their issues. You can get away with this sort of thing in a supplement cos the DM can just case by case ban the messed-up stuff, and not every game is going to use every single one of the 700-odd spells in Deep Magic anyway. You absolutely cannot get away with it in a core book which is going to be heavily relied on every session. If Black Flag is anything other than a straight copy-paste of the 5e SRD, KP is going to have to get much, much better at editing and quality control.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I just saw the update above. Their new Deep Magic books which are being kickstarted, and which are for "fifth edition games" are supposed to be BF compatible.

The Flag, is it were, is very much described like an SRD. Unclear if its the basis for its own game, or just something that gives you ORC cover to publish for the worlds most popular RPG.

darjr

I crit!
I just saw the update above. Their new Deep Magic books which are being kickstarted, and which are for "fifth edition games" are supposed to be BF compatible.

The Flag, is it were, is very much described like an SRD. Unclear if its the basis for its own game, or just something that gives you ORC cover to publish for the worlds most popular RPG.
They put out a call for GMs at GenCon ti run games of it.

So probably?

mamba

Legend
From Kobold Press

“Celeste Conowitch, our Senior Game Designer, is the lead on game design for this new fantasy RPG. She has been working on Project Black Flag behind the scenes since the summer of 2022. Additional designers and developers are currently engaged with the project, as well as several partners from the community.”

playtest to start in February

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads