• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oh God! I think I've burned out...

blackshirt5

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Oh God! I think I've burned out...

caudor said:

I agree! The best cure for burnout is to take a new, somewhat darker path for a while:D

Yeah, but what happens if you burn out on that darker fantasy too, and then the next one, until you're playing the latest Whitey Wolf releases, Famous Texan: the Foot-Eating and Enron: the Corruption-so-thorough-and-dark-that-Cthulhu-quits-his-job-because-he-feels-unworthy, until finally hitting rock bottom and playing the Black Dog label Pound Puppy: the Beating???

Narfellus

First Post
burn out

yeah, i've been around the same thing too. I bought all the d20 Star Wars after the revised edition came out, then TONS and tons of books off AMazon, like old schematics and alien guides. Even bought a friggin book of languages so my group could speak Ewokese. Even bought hard to find minis on ebay to flesh out the adventures. well, i liked it well enough. we played twice and then moved back to fantasy, so now i have a shelf full of about 30 sw books i don't even look at. Why? I got addicted there for a while, and the buying filled up something i felt was missing. Sort of a collector's addiction thing i guess. I don't really regret having them, as like someone else said we only come this way once, might as well buy stuff that we enjoy. Still, i would like to fully utilize all of the books i do have at some point or another.
In answer to the original post, and to Wil Upchurch, yeah, Midnight is a great setting, very dark and different, but i think you need to re-evaluate your mindset before jumping into anything else. Take a break. Read a book. Don't think about gaming for a while. At one point in my life i thought i would never go back i was so burned out. I'm glad i did, because stories never get old. That is mankind's primary source of entertainment, listening to stories in one format or another. The great thing about roleplaying is that not only do we write and share them, we get to live them too!

Mortaneus

First Post
Go get a copy of Pinnacle's new RPG, Savage Worlds. It's fairly generic, can easily be used for fantasy, and is greased lightning in speed.

You can down the test drive rules from here:

www.peginc.com

Kanegrundar

Explorer
This is why I love D20. Not only do I get to play with I system that I love, but there are so many choices to choose from. At the moment, I'm running a psuedo-Rifts campaign throwing together all sorts of sources from D20 Modern (the core ruleset) to Star Wars into one universe. It's been a blast so far. I got into the same funk with traditional fantasy, but now I get to play the game I've always wanted to play without have to take a sledgehammer to the rules (as I tried with 2E) or play a system like Gurps or Palladium that I hate.

Kane

caudor

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh God! I think I've burned out...

blackshirt5 said:
Yeah, but what happens if you burn out on that darker fantasy too, and then the next one, until you're playing the latest Whitey Wolf releases, Famous Texan: the Foot-Eating and Enron: the Corruption-so-thorough-and-dark-that-Cthulhu-quits-his-job-because-he-feels-unworthy, until finally hitting rock bottom and playing the Black Dog label Pound Puppy: the Beating???

Yes, my friend...that is hitting rock bottom :eek: This will require some 'special therapy'. You must leave your fantasy world(s) for a while and face cold, stark reality. Activities may include:

1. Watching the home shopping network until all the porcelain dolls or sold out, or until you have actually bought one yourself

2. Watch a Tammy Fay Baker marathon and write a review summarizing the highlights

3. Attend a Tupperware party with a close friend or loved one. When they start singing "Come on down, and say hello"...go up on the stage and accept a free salt & pepper shaker

4. Go the grocery store. Hide until they close the store. When the light are out, go to back...where those spooky metal swinging doors are. Dare yourself to walk through those doors.

5. Buy & use a "Learning the Marcarana" video. Follow that up with a triple shot of Billy Ray Cyrus.

Soon, you'll be looking for reasons to return to your fantasy world and won't feel so burnt out at all.

Angcuru

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oh God! I think I've burned out...

blackshirt5 said:

:eek:

If you'll excuse me, I'll be hiding in my basement with a shotgun. You stay away from me, blackshirt5.:D

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
aurin777 said:
It happened. I think I am completely burned out of traditional fantasy.

and now I am on a wheel of time binge.
Actually...

Wheel of Time -IS- traditional fantasy.

D&D however -IS NOT- traditional fantasy.

Think about it, which one matches the greater bulk of fantasy literature... When I go and browse the fantasy and science fiction sections of my local bookstores, most of the stuff resembles WoT:

human only or nearly so worlds with uncommon to rare magic, lots of political and romantic drama, and assorted human-interest tales told on a fantastic scale. The monsters are rare and mysterious, forces beyond understanding are at work, and there are no dungeons or dungeon crawls...

clerics, elves, dwarves, orcs, rangers, kobolds? These things are not traditional fantasy... some of them stem out of mythic themes, but they play a very small role in the genre.

-ANYWAY-

I can understand the burnout. Every see how little kids will want to hear the same story over and over again, or watch the same movie, hear the same song, play with the same toy... to the point of seeming neurotic if they were adults...

That's how a lot of gamers strike me, especially in the D&D crowd.

I can only take it so long before it drives me away, but I've gamed with people who've done nothing but the same old thing for 20 years going...

I find it baffling, but I see it over and over again and it doesn't exactly raise my opinion of my fellow hobbyist.

Right now I'm on super's games. But I still like to keep it open for variety.

As for D&D-fantasy, well that's old for me - I can still stand to sit down at the table and play, but it's only a matter of time before I have to take a couple years off...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads