• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oh yeah, Robert Wiese's my new best friend...

Malin Genie

First Post
That's also a good fix to the Ring of Blink abuse - it needs to be activated (Standard Action) once every 5 rounds.

Thanks for the idea guys!

kreynolds

First Post
Henrix said:
It says "When activated". What else can it be, but command activated?

If it was command word activated, it would cost 27,000gp. But does it cost 27,000gp? No. Does it look like it might cost 27,000gp? No. Is it quite possible that when he said it cost 30,000gp, that the aliens living among us created a giant conspiracy to cover up the true cost of the ring? Maybe. The ring costs 30,000gp. Here's the breakdown:

A) 3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) x 2,000gp (use-activated) = 30,000gp

B) 3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) x 1,800gp (command word) = 27,000gp

Does it look like B? No. Could it be B? No. Is it quite possible that when I said A, that the aliens living among us created a giant conspiracy to cover up the true answer, which is B? Maybe.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Henrix said:

There's nothing in the item description that says it is limited in time. The Ring of Blinking is not.

The caster level determines the duration. Yes, you can keep re-activating it, but that is far different from indefinite duration.

From the SRD:
Caster Level

The power of the item (just as a spell’s caster level measures its power). The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation.
[empahasis added]

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The Ring of Blink is command activated.

As a similar power and duration spell, it should be obvious that a Ring of Haste is command activated as well.

"User-activated" is mis-spoken. He meant command activated.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Ring of Haste: When activated, the wearer is affected by a haste spell. Caster level: 7th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, haste; Market Price: 30,000 gp.
Well, in my campaing at least, a Haste spell has a finite duration (1 round per caster level to be exact). So this looks like you need to re-activate every 7 rounds to me.

Jeremy

Explorer
From what I can tell, rings of invisibility/blink/and now haste simply need to be worn to be activated. Just as a +1 sword only needs to be swung. You can e-mail Wiese but I believe this was his intent.

I think you are reading too much into it.

You put the ring on, poof, you disappear, a la Bilbo/Frodo, you take it off, you come back.

I could be wrong. And you know me, I want it to be the fun always on way... :)

Jeremy

Explorer
Well, I honestly think instead of user-activated he meant use-activated as in a +1 sword or a ring of invisibility. Regardless of the implications of that, I believe that's how the item was designed.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I e-mailed the question quoting different points that had been brought up here. <shrugs>

FANGO

First Post
To refer back to an earlier post....what do you mean "not so with haste," referring to people not wanting to have it on all the time? Would you really want to sleep like that, heart pounding and breathing frantically? Do you really think that you would come off as normal if you were zipping around town in a blur, speaking far too quickly for people to understand you? And what if you wanted to stop and smell the roses? You'd probably tear them off their stems in your frantic attempt to bring them into smelling position...

I would most definitely not want to have haste on all the time! :)

Remove ads