Ok, so what's the 2011 setting...?

Turtlejay

First Post
Let's join forces : Ocean based, exotic, high action horror fantasy. But it should not be pulp like Eberron... So remove magic and monsters from everyday lives (no lightning road, ordinary people have never heard of aberrations, until it's too late...). But Heroes are a special brand, and they know the awful truth and must confront it on the seven sea.

Not a perfect fit, but for those of you talking about ocean based adventures, have you looked at Chris Perkins' blog? His homebrew world called Dragon Sea is bitchin, and I would pay cash money to buy the book.

Christopher Perkins - Wizards Community

I stole part of it for a oneshot. I'd like to be able to take the whole thing apart and make it mine.

Jay

Jhaelen

First Post
New world.
This.

They already mentioned how they don't want yet another generic fantasy setting.
Ravenloft and Planescape are pretty much part of the default setting already.

That leaves ... Spelljammer, I guess. Not one of my favorites.

Not a perfect fit, but for those of you talking about ocean based adventures, have you looked at Chris Perkins' blog? His homebrew world called Dragon Sea is bitchin, and I would pay cash money to buy the book.

Christopher Perkins - Wizards Community

I stole part of it for a oneshot. I'd like to be able to take the whole thing apart and make it mine.

Jay
I had seen those threads but never got around to reading any of them.

Thanks for pointing them out so that I would actually take the time to start reading. Now my keyboard is full of drool. :)

Jack99

Adventurer
If they're upping the ante and releasing two settings next year or the year after, it would be great to see Spelljammer as one of them.

You have to remember that with 4e's mantra of everything is core, it basically means that some departments (R&D) have to check everything written, including the ever-continuing flow of eDragon and eDungeon stuff. Month after month.

Basically what I am saying is that WotC is limited in the number of books they can handle a year atm. It's not just a matter of hiring a few freelancers and produce a new setting.

garyh

First Post
Let's join forces : Ocean based, exotic, high action horror fantasy. But it should not be pulp like Eberron... So remove magic and monsters from everyday lives (no lightning road, ordinary people have never heard of aberrations, until it's too late...). But Heroes are a special brand, and they know the awful truth and must confront it on the seven sea.

Hmmmm...

fireinthedust

Explorer
Ravenloft, Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica - too specific. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see an expansion book for FR, something like "Other Lands" that includes the latter three.

Which they never did during 3e. They came out with the Shining South, and Loxos/elephant men. Could they come out with one book for the other settings? Noooooo.

Al Qadim might be a bit touchy with the whole tensions in the Middle East.

GVDammerung

First Post
IMO.

FR was the first 4e setting for the obvious reason that it is the RPGA setting du jour for 4e.

Eberron was next because it had barely gotten going in 3.5 when 4e debuted.

Dark Sun was this year because it sincs up with the psionics rules coming out and provides some synergy on paper (we’ll see about store shelves).

Given what I believe I know about 4e sales, strong but no 3E, I imagine the 2010 setting is one of two things, just depending:

A – Given the 4e sales numbers described above, 2010 will see a totally new totally 4e setting that aims to correct the 4e sales numbers to 3E levels, or

B – If that process is taking a bit more time to get ready for release, there will be a “marking time” setting until a HUGE 2011 release (my bet). What the “placeholder” setting will be? I’d guess a minor setting that they don’t mind “wasting” as it holds everything in place while waiting for the big 2011 event. Birthright matches this description best, IMO. Or something like Ghostwalk etc. Something that had a limited run but still had potential.

I find it extremely hard to imagine that WOTC would spend 4e’s entire run just recycling old settings. The only way that makes sense to me is if they are just marking time until 5e, which in that scenario would now be the focus of most of their efforts.

My guess would be Birthright 2010 then BIG NEW 2011 SETTING (announced/hinted) Gencon 2010 (even as Birthright debuts) and delivered 2011 after a full year of hints and hype.

Or it could be Greyhawk or Dragonlance. ;-) YAWN!!!

Remove ads