D&D 5E OK to make PC build dependent on magic item for viability?

WASDHammer

Explorer
I am currently about to embark on Descent into Avernus with a cool idea for a build. A Fighter (Echo Knight)/Wizard (Chronurgy) MC who bends and folds time to be effective in battle. From the EK perspective, he pulls versions of himself from other dimensions to aid in battle, but also calls upon buff spells (Haste, Mirror Image, Blur, Misty Step) and Temporal Awareness to fold or reverse time to change the outcome of events.

I think the build is a cool idea but SUPER MAD (STR + INT + CON) to be effective. The DM is starting us at level 5 and allowing us to each have an uncommon magic item at start.

My question is this, is there are downside to having my magic item be either Gauntlet of Ogre Strength (STR) or Headband of Intellect (INT) to make the class a bit less MAD? Furthermore, should I even consider dumping STR (if I take gauntlet) or INT (headband) and reallocating those points into other stats (CON, DEX).

This would essentially make me dependent on the magic item to be functional, and would take up one attunement slot, but would allow me to play at peak attributes for the campaign. Would love to get this group's feelings on doing this. Upside? Downside?

Thanks,.

TheSword

Legend
This kind of question brings me back to Pathfinder days when it was assumed that magic items were available for sale at fixed prices and pretty much as determined in the rules.

Is it ok? Well that depends entirely on the people you play with. In my group, one player would probably have no problem with with it and would want to do it. Two people would be very wary might agree if a case was made. Two would be pretty much against it… I would be one of those. That said your DM is letting you have an uncommon item. I don’t think it’s your fault if youre

Essentially MAD is method of controlling power, particularly with multi-classing. The most broken combinations for me seem to be multi-classing that isn’t MAD. The solution isn’t to reduce how MAD other combinations are but to prevent Sorcadins for working as they do currently.

My fundamental question would be, why can’t this work with Str, Int Con 16 and 8/9’s in other stats? Or 14’s and 10’s and 12’s in other stats (assuming a 27 point buy). If you need essentially + 15 extra points buy to make this character work how is it going to compare to everyone else round the table.

The stat bonuses required are balanced against the difficulty of the challenges the DM is throwing at you. If you need +4 stat to get a spell off or to hit something is the game difficulty set really high?

I just can’t get over the fact that the incredibly good gauntlets of ogre power are only uncommon. Magic item rarities are boinked.

MattW

Explorer
I can see a couple of problems.
1. What happens if the magic item is lost or destroyed?
2. Will your DM feel obliged to exclude any offensive spells or monsters that might risk damage to your "essential magic item"?

Back in the day, I had player that was running a character that, without his gauntlets of ogre power, was way above his carrying capacity with his full plate mail and two-handed sword. It worked just fine until the party encounters a few beholders. The rest party had to drag him with him as they fled.

As @MattW mentioned, it also matters what sort of DM you've got. Are they going to say, cool, and go with it, maybe throwing the once-in-a-while scenario that exploits that weakness? Or are they the sort to use that weakness to completely and gleefully hose your character the first chance they get?

I can say while that the player's choice certainly wasn't optimal, but darn if I don't still remember that story about 30 years later...

HammerMan

Legend
I am currently about to embark on Descent into Avernus with a cool idea for a build. A Fighter (Echo Knight)/Wizard (Chronurgy) MC who bends and folds time to be effective in battle. From the EK perspective, he pulls versions of himself from other dimensions to aid in battle, but also calls upon buff spells (Haste, Mirror Image, Blur, Misty Step) and Temporal Awareness to fold or reverse time to change the outcome of events.

I think the build is a cool idea but SUPER MAD (STR + INT + CON) to be effective. The DM is starting us at level 5 and allowing us to each have an uncommon magic item at start.

My question is this, is there are downside to having my magic item be either Gauntlet of Ogre Strength (STR) or Headband of Intellect (INT) to make the class a bit less MAD? Furthermore, should I even consider dumping STR (if I take gauntlet) or INT (headband) and reallocating those points into other stats (CON, DEX).

This would essentially make me dependent on the magic item to be functional, and would take up one attunement slot, but would allow me to play at peak attributes for the campaign. Would love to get this group's feelings on doing this. Upside? Downside?

Thanks,.
okay 1st, I HATE that I am about to answer this the way I am...

put an 8 in str take the oger power gantlets and hope to find a better belt some day is the best play. Take your 1st level in fighter (for max 10hp anyway and the str/con save) and you don't need str to multi, just Int. then boost Con and Int... that is the power play. You can 'justfy' it by saying that you are the healthy (high con) but weak nerd who wanted to be part of the malitia but ended up training in magic instead.

why do I hate that, because I would not want you to do it if I were DMing. So first check with the table, see what the others think.

having said that, you can make a desent str/con build or int/con build if you don't go with this.

Shiroiken

Legend
In general I find this idea obnoxious, but since your DM isn't putting any restrictions on your item, I'd say go for it.

Put an 8 in str take the oger power gantlets and hope to find a better belt some day is the best play. Take your 1st level in fighter (for max 10hp anyway and the str/con save) and you don't need str to multi,
Not sure, but if you're implying you can avoid the requirement for fighter multiclass by starting with fighter, you're incorrect (you have to have both to multiclass). However, the fighter allows the use of Dex instead of Str, so the idea still works.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't like the idea much, so I said no to the GM's offer when I created my sage psi warrior and gave him an int of 14.

And then the GM tossed in the headband of intellect for free anyway!

From this anecdote, my advice is this: do it if the GM is ok with it, and don't dump the score you are boosting. Clearly my sage psi warrior works better with 19 int than 14... buuut 14 is still ok. You want the character to still "work" without the item.

Horwath

Legend
Personally, I hate those "set ability at that number" items.

+2 to an ability would be better. You could keep the 20 limit or increase it by 2.

Or have it work both ways. set ability to 14 or add +2, whichever is higher(max 20).
This way, item could be useful to characters with low ability, but not overshadowing characters that have invested highest ability, racial bonus and ASIs in same ability.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases