OK, we have a problem [please read!]

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I know that we aren't suppossed to talk religion on the boards, and this post won't. However, the idea comes from a church so bear with me. The church I attend has part of their bulletin a weekly update on monies collected and monies spent. (Broad categories, it only takes up about 4 lines). At the end of each month, they publish a list in detail. (It usually takes up the back half of a half-page insert). Might I suggest a stick in the meta forum (or some other likely place) that updates the status of ENWorld's finances monthly - or quarterly?

You wouldn't have to list all expenses ... because there is no need for accountability. But even a quarterly post to this effect would really help if possible:

==================
Last 3 months worth of server charges ...... $XXXX.XX
Last 3 months of misc. related expenses .... $XXXX.XX

Last 3 months of pdf income..................... $XXXX.XX
Last 3 months of income from CSA ............ $XXXX.XX
Last 3 months of misc income .................. $XXXX.XX

Balance / Total / Need for funding ............ $XXXX.XX
==================

That is very nonspecific, and wouldn't mean getting nitty-gritty. However, it would give an area where those who do care about ENWorld's continued existance could get a periodic update and you wouldn't feel like you were begging for money. It is not something that has to be done because you own the business and you are accountable to you. But if you are looking for a way to disseminate info, I think the above 8 lines between the "=" lines would be an easy way to get relevant information into the community. Title it appropriately, sticky it, and put it in general or meta or wherever. I know I'd be curious and check in on it probably every time it was updated - assuming it was updated monthly or quarterly.

drothgery

First Post
Another thing you might want to do is send out reminders to people when their CSA is about to expire. I renewed mine a month or so ago when I wanted to search for something and realized that I couldn't; otherwise, I don't think I'd've noticed.

Merkuri

Explorer
Nonlethal Force said:
==================
Last 3 months worth of server charges ...... $XXXX.XX
Last 3 months of misc. related expenses .... $XXXX.XX

Last 3 months of pdf income..................... $XXXX.XX
Last 3 months of income from CSA ............ $XXXX.XX
Last 3 months of misc income .................. $XXXX.XX

Balance / Total / Need for funding ............ $XXXX.XX
==================
Good idea. Of course, my brain is extremely lawful and I like seeing things laid out like this. You could also make a quick note in the news that your "state of the EN World" post has been made and can be read in x forum, so folks who don't frequent the meta forum could still be reminded to look if they want to.

Edit:
drothgery said:
Another thing you might want to do is send out reminders to people when their CSA is about to expire. I renewed mine a month or so ago when I wanted to search for something and realized that I couldn't; otherwise, I don't think I'd've noticed.
Also a good idea!

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Merkuri said:
You could also make a quick note in the news that your "state of the EN World" post has been made and can be read in x forum, so folks who don't frequent the meta forum could still be reminded to look if they want to.

See, that is democracy at work right there folks. Building upon each other's ideas! In other words, Merkuri, thanks for taking my idea and adding to it to make it more generically user-friendly!

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
PH 2 is going to have to wait a little longer as I stock up on some en publishing PDF's!

Maybe I can use this time of need to get my players to buy TFT. I don't think a character has raised a mug of ale since I told them I had drinking rules. Maybe if they read them, we'd see some chugging!

--Z

Fulcan

First Post
CS Account expiration

After reading this, I checked to see when my account expires and it said it was 2 days ago! It might help raise funds a bit if the system sent a PM or email to the user when his/her account is close to expiring. I hadn't tried to search anything for a while, so I hadn't even noticed.

Account renewed, good luck!

Bacris

First Post
Poster Bard said:
Creative Mountain Games pledges, through the end of May, $1 from every sale to help keep EN World afloat. ONE 4 EN!

ENWorld has been huge for Dreamscarred Press's success so far, so I'm going to be sending in some funds, too, as well as purchasing a CSA.

Russ, I'll be taking a cut of our May sales and sending those in - hope it helps. :) It'd suck to lose this place.

Remove ads