OK, we have a problem [please read!]

Liquide

DEX: 4
Will grab a Community Supporter Account next week Russ (short on funds until I get my pay this month), least I can do for you bud. Will try and send more funds as well if my economy allows it.

Hope it all works out for you, and you should really tell us folks these things well in advance next time ;)

-Rob

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Liquide said:
Will grab a Community Supporter Account next week Russ (short on funds until I get my pay this month), least I can do for you bud. Will try and send more funds as well if my economy allows it.

Hope it all works out for you, and you should really tell us folks these things well in advance next time ;)

-Rob

I haven't seen you around for ages, Rob! How are you these days?

Liquide

DEX: 4
Morrus said:
I haven't seen you around for ages, Rob! How are you these days?

Been lurking mostly and travelling about seen the world :). Still owe you £50 for beers and that train ticket, have to come over and pay it back some day don't you think ;)

In general I am fine, working part-time as a coder/designer slave and the rest of the time I collect sick benefits (got diagnosed with Aspergers a while back so considered 50% disabled).

Plus festival season start soon which make me all happy (and oh so poor).

Jeysie

First Post
The timing is quite fortuitous, as I very recently got a very nice-paying job that gives me some disposable funds!

So I've purchased a CSA myself (though admittedly being mostly a lurker, I'd hate to not have this place to read!), as well as "Elements of Magic" and "Buy the Numbers", both of which I've had my eye on as possibly being useful to my DMs. Hope that helps a little. :)

Peace & Luv, Liz

Wavestone

Explorer
I mostly lurk, just reading posts... but I felt it was time to give something back to this great site.. just bought a CSA.

Hope it works out well!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
BlackMoria said:
Rather than waiting until things get dire then coming onto the boards and making yourself feel like some panhandler soliciting money outside the mall (I know you hate asking everytime this happens), may I suggest that quarterly or semi-annual fund raising drives be done, regardless if the money is need or not at that moment. Make it the same time frame throughout the year, advertise it on the site and have the fund raising drive run for a week or two each time.

In that way, people can contribute regularly through a feeling of community and supporting their favorite fan-site rather than a act of charity to save their favorite site from possibly closing.

There is nothing wrong with asking people in a fund raising drive to support a site they use on a regular basis, given what the costs are to support a site like ENWorld.
Much more eloquent than how I was going to offer the same sentiment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Much more eloquent than how I was going to offer the same sentiment.

Yeah - that's the general "intent" of the CS accounts, although it doesn't work out so well. Maybe it's just a presentation thing.

hewligan

First Post
I just sent $5. I must admit that I didn't even know this site offered Community Supporter thingummy until I read this tread. I would recommend taking a look at ArsTechnica OpenForums to see how they handle subscribers - lots of benefits, well publicised, and you get titles etc. to boost your ego.

Perhaps ENWorld should push CS more, offer 1 free ENWorld PDF (not necessarily from all available, could be a subset, or 1 each 4 months, so 3 a year, but specially made PDFs just for CS members). Anyway, worth checking out what they do at Ars to support the site.

Good luck. I jokingly mentioned in my paypal thing that I would pay another $5 for being able to view the site in white background with black text. In truth, I would probably pay $20 for that :)

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm one of those people that never likes asking for money either. I know this issue has come up in the past, where money for the site is tight. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the ENWorld community, or at least a significant portion of it, will always come through to help out, because it is a community. I think we all understand that the site takes a good deal of money to run, and I agree that an annual or semi-annual fundraiser wouldn't be a bad idea. In fact, I think a good deal of people would support it.

Anyway, I'm not at a secure computer, but when I get to one I'll be renewing my CS account.

Also, because I can't mention it enough, there needs to be non-Paypal ways to donate. I'd feel much better sending a check, or even sending pounds in the mail. (IIRC, your bank charges for foreign checks... boo bank, boo.)

Remove ads