• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OK we know the Sorcerer is Broken, How would you fix him

Gizzard

First Post
I also disagree with the premise.

I tuned into the thread just to see whether the premise was that the Sorcerer was broken because he was too powerful or broken because he was too weak.

Personally, I'd add Maximize the list of metamagics forbidden to the Sorcerer in order to balance him better with the poor Wizard. ;-)

Fieari

Explorer
I agree with the premise, and make use of Khaalis's Sorcerer Varient, which is basically like Sorcerers with free eschew materials, a domain-like thingy, a slight HD bump, a small increase in spells known, and one or two spell like abilities. I know that list sounds like a lot, but I've been playing it for a few months now and it's worked spectacularly well. I don't outshine anyone, and they don't outshine me. That's all I really look for when it comes to balance.

Testament

First Post
Eschew Materials for free is so obvious it barely rates mentioning. These guys are supposed to have INBORN powers.

I love the Metamagic slot idea. I think I'll use it.

maddman75

First Post
Here's what I did to them

Skill points, I give everyone two extra. Make Bluff and Intimidate class skills.

Finally, I allow each sorcerer to select a theme. This could be anything really - something simple like Fire, or 'My spells are the gifts of the animal spirits' Whenever a character describes his spell suitable to his theme, he casts it at +1 caster level.

For this descriptor - most sorcerers should be able to get it for almost every spell. It just has to be described in such a manner that it 'fits'. So the Fire sorcerer might summon small balls of blue flame that slam into the target for a Magic Missile - though this is just flavor, the spell isn't [Fire], generate heat, or set anything aflame. The Animal Spirits character for instance might call upon Eagle, who appears over him briefly as a ghostly image to give him unerring aim for a True Strike spell.

Haven't gotten to try it out, as no one's made a sorcerer. My goal is to help them out a bit, and make them feel a little bit more like just some guy who can naturally do magic. It also was a lot less work than coming up with a bunch of custom spell lists.

haiiro

First Post
I've gone with the following in my campaign for the past year, and it's worked out well -- the sorcerers like it, the other players shine just as much:

- 4 skill points per level
- Eschew Materials at 1st level
- Diplomacy, Gather Information and Intimidate as class skills

I nearly include d6 hit dice, but played it conservative instead.

What I'd love to see would be a complete re-treatment of the sorcerer, building the class from the ground up with bloodline abilities. I haven't seen a bloodline add-on that I liked well enough so far. Heck, I'd happily buy a PDF that was just a well revised sorcerer with bloodlines -- it's one of my favorite classes to play, as well as to DM for.

Laman Stahros

First Post
I allow my players to use the BoEMII variant sorcerer with a free Eschew Materials feat and Thematic Spell feat, but they don't get a familar until 2nd level. Seems to work so far,doesn't seem to be overpowering the wizard in the group.

UltimaGabe

First Post
In our games, we use the Monte Cooke Sorcerer (basically, it has the same spell progression as the Wizard), and we give Sorcerers Bonus Feats like a Wizard. Sorcerers in our games also get the Spell Thematics feat for free around third or fourth level- you know, the feat from the Forgotten Realms books that causes your spells to take on a thematic appearance, such as Skulls, and it makes your spells harder to identify. The reason they don't get it at first level is because generally, players aren't positive of what theme they want their sorcerer to have at first level, and we don't want to force them to make a decision they may not like. So they get the feat whenever they have a theme that fits.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads