OSR Old School Essentials Box Sets Kickstarter

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Update 3! Dice!

I'm starting to get a little nervous about all the stretch goals they're adding, to be honest. It reminds me a little too much of the heady early days of Kickstarter when everyone was just adding stretch goal after stretch goal, and then they realized it was too much. The folks at Exalted Funeral are great folks, but I know they struggled to fulfill the last OSE Kickstarter, and this is an order of magnitude larger.

I'm starting to get a little nervous about all the stretch goals they're adding, to be honest. It reminds me a little too much of the heady early days of Kickstarter when everyone was just adding stretch goal after stretch goal, and then they realized it was too much. The folks at Exalted Funeral are great folks, but I know they struggled to fulfill the last OSE Kickstarter, and this is an order of magnitude larger.
The Advanced Fantasy kickstarter went really smooth for me, especially given that it was all during pandemic. The only hiccup was Luka Rejec's adventure which was delayed. Also exalted funeral was just starting out then.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
It looks like the stretch goals they're adding are things that should be reasonable. Additional scenarios written by more authors -- spreading out the work -- means they're more likely to be completed on-time. The dice extra are through Q-Workshop who have to have these things down by now. It's not like they're adding boxes made from 100% recycled character sheets, which would require a whole new product stream.

darjr

I crit!
It looks like the stretch goals they're adding are things that should be reasonable. Additional scenarios written by more authors -- spreading out the work -- means they're more likely to be completed on-time. The dice extra are through Q-Workshop who have to have these things down by now. It's not like they're adding boxes made from 100% recycled character sheets, which would require a whole new product stream.
Oh but what an idea!

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher

Be that as it may, more stretch goals adds more stuff, and represents an added layer of complexity for the fulfillment team (Exalted Funeral), not the actual creators. I hope everything goes smoothly! I think I'm just a big fan of the straightforward Kickstarter with limited stretch goals, everything already written, etc (like how Kevin Crawford runs his).

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I think I'm just a big fan of the straightforward Kickstarter with limited stretch goals, everything already written, etc (like how Kevin Crawford runs his).
That's fair. I think Gavin underestimated the demand for box sets -- the popularity of OSE grew a lot during the time since the previous Box Set Kickstarter, and he was thinking there'd be more modest demand for boxes. He may not have realized that the great Second Age of the Box Set is upon us, where consumers prefer the box over the hardbound book; and here many publishers thought that such a time would never be in the offing again! BUT NAY! I TELL THEE VERILY, THE BAD OLD GOOD NEW DAYS ARE UPON US!

EDIT: So when can we expect a box set treatment of the Hexcrawl series? :)

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
That's fair. I think Gavin underestimated the demand for box sets -- the popularity of OSE grew a lot during the time since the previous Box Set Kickstarter, and he was thinking there'd be more modest demand for boxes. He may not have realized that the great Second Age of the Box Set is upon us, where consumers prefer the box over the hardbound book; and here many publishers thought that such a time would never be in the offing again! BUT NAY! I TELL THEE VERILY, THE BAD OLD GOOD NEW DAYS ARE UPON US!

EDIT: So when can we expect a box set treatment of the Hexcrawl series? :)

Hah! I don't know if I'll ever do a box set, but I'm going to be launching the second compiled hexcrawl book in April, and I'm thinking of doing an offset hardcover print run in addition to a POD option.

Remove ads