OSR Old School Essentials Box Sets Kickstarter

darjr

I crit!
15792859-1CC8-45BD-A215-370F10874222.jpeg

Note I know nothing about these products.

One negative about the box is that Gavin said to save money the box would not be extra large. So you might not be able to fit all the rule books and extra adventures/zines into one box. I’m not backing this because I already have the tomes, but I sort of just want the box to keep all my a5-sized osr content.

Retreater

Legend
Out of curiosity, what are the main differences between OSE and DCC?
I have only read DCC but have played OSE.
DCC is a 3rd edition variant that scales up and down die rolls with different die types (like d30 or d24 to show advantage) or things like d16 to show disadvantage. It has roll to cast, built-in crit success and fumble charts. In fact, extremely chart dependent game.
DCC is about as far from OSE as 4e is from 5e.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I think that's exactly their point. There's already OSRIC (and, to a lesser extent, AEC for Labyrinth Lord) for cloning 1e. The purpose of the Advanced OSE is to back-port the variety of AD&D to a B/X-like environment in terms of balance and power level.

Fair enough. For me, though, the charm of B/X is its relative minimalism. I'll play AD&D (or 5e) if I want loads of different classes, etc. But I understand why others might want additional options for OSE.

On the topic of the distinction between "classic" and "advanced" OSE, can anyone familiar with the OSE adventures tell me whether they presuppose only the OSE "classic" rules (i.e., what's in B/X D&D) or whether they also employ "advanced" material?

Remove ads