• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E "Old School" Rules for Pathfinder

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Just trying to brainstorm here for a set of campaign guidelines (rather than major rules changes) for getting a more "old school" feel with Pathfinder. I use the scare quotes for a reason -- old school means different things to different people; in this case I mean early 80s D&D, both B/X and 1E (I actually grew up with BECMI and 2E, but "regressed" to preferring the previous editions of each).

Some things that come to mind:

Slow advancement chart.
No item creation allowed.
Encumbrance, rations and ammo enforced.
Relying more heavily on verisimilitude and "common sense" for encounters, rather than CR.
Some skill checks will require more player description than others -- searching for and disabling traps in particular.
A general increase in the inherent weird fantasy aspects of the game.

The goal would be a document I share with the players so everyone is on the same page. What else comes to mind, or what of the above would you modify or omit.

Also, full disclosure: I'm cross posting this to a couple other forums just to get a variety of opinion.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I would not start characters at max HP at first level. I'd also require random stats. I would keep to the classes in the main book.

I totally forgot to mention stat rolls. Yeah: 3d6 in order, x6, pick one set.
Random 1st level hp, too.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think the percentage chance to learn a spell is a significant thing. I would put that in, and expand the concept such that through some mechanism (either a dice roll or in-game training), the advanced classes/feats/etc. are not automatically available.

Resurrection chance was also a significant thing.

Also, I would always rely on common sense and ignore CR, regardless of what "school" you're from.

Henry

Autoexreginated
In addition to what Ahnenhois says, I would pare down the caster spell list. Casters in BECMI didn't have one third the versatility that casters in 3.x do. I definitely wouldn't change the spell disruption rules though -- both at once might make the caster classes unplayable.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It's very important for rogues to have the WORST Reflex save progression to reflect their abysmal saving throws versus Breath Weapon in Old School D&D/AD&D. Oh, and sneak attack can only be used once per encounter. ;)

Edit: Rogues most definitely have to suck for a proper "old school" feel. All skill DCs should be set so that they can't actually have a reasonable chance of success until about 10th level (except for Climb Walls or its Pathfinder equivalent).

More seriously, I think the ease of disrupting spells is a core part of Old School D&D. It was one of the things that really balanced out the firepower of the magic-user.

Slow level progression is important but you might also want to consider slowing it further after 10th level or so. What about hit points after this point? Are you prepared to simply have a flat +1/+2/+3 depending on the class?

What about name level benefits at 10th level? Of course, in Pathfinder the PC might have several classes by this point so this would be character level rather than class level. Then again, perhaps the name level benefits only accrue after gaining 10th level in a single class? That would also discourage multiclassing and prestige classes.

Have you also thought about class restrictions for the different races?

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
No feats (for monsters or PCS)
1 skill point per 3 levels, except for rogues and bards, who get 5 per level (pretty closely resembles 2E's NWPs/Thief's % skill chances).

Evenglare

Adventurer
As a DM I usually have my group pick their race, they then roll 2 sets of stats, these sets can not be altered in any way. My players can pick one of the sets and use them for their characters. These 2 sets represent 2 different paths in life... 2 parallel characters which could have been. After race and stats have been established they then choose their class. This seems the most natural way of character development to me and my group. I suppose you could adapt this to your liking having more roll sets or something.

ComradeGnull

First Post
Chuck the skill system. No 'trained only' skills- anyone can do anything by making an attribute check with guestimated penalties for difficulty. Rogues- I mean Thieves- and Bards get percentage-based skills using the old-school charts, or a level-based bonus to 'thiefy' tasks like picking locks and sneaking.

Limit class choice- no Barbarians & Sorcerers, definitely, maybe limit things to Cleric, Fighter, Wizard, and Rogue.

Use roll-under-attribute checks rather than DC + skill bonus. This has the (positive) effect of making sure that someone with a higher Dex is better at Dexterous tasks than someone with a lower Dex, even if they have the same attribute bonus.

Chuck PrC's. If you want to multi-class, you have to choose it at first level and split your XP between classes. Reduce hit dice for arcane casters to d4, and HD for clerics and rogues to d6 (or give rogues d4 if you want to really go for the 'rogues die first' feel of the old school).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm not really interested in changing tons of rules or otherwise doing a bunch of redesign. I think one can use table rules and play focus to get the right tone in play.

Making casters work for it is definitely one of the things to do. I'm not sure you need to change the concentration rules, but enforcing them as is is key. Harrying spell casters is a tried and true tactic. Holding a couple archers in reserve with readied actions can go a long way at lower levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads