WotC Older D&D Books on DMs Guild Now Have A Disclaimer

If you go to any of the older WotC products on the Dungeon Master's Guild, they now have a new disclaimer very similar to that currently found at the start of Looney Tunes cartoons. We recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website, does not reflect the values of the Dungeon & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial and gender prejudice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to any of the older WotC products on the Dungeon Master's Guild, they now have a new disclaimer very similar to that currently found at the start of Looney Tunes cartoons.

D3B789DC-FA16-46BD-B367-E4809E8F74AE.jpeg

We recognize that some of the legacy content available on this website, does not reflect the values of the Dungeon & Dragons franchise today. Some older content may reflect ethnic, racial and gender prejudice that were commonplace in American society at that time. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. This content is presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed. Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is a strength, and we strive to make our D&D products as welcoming and inclusive as possible. This part of our work will never end.

The wording is very similar to that found at the start of Looney Tunes cartoons.

F473BE00-5334-453E-849D-E37710BCF61E.jpeg

Edit: Wizards has put out a statement on Twitter (click through to the full thread)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I have laughed at TV shows that I now consider pretty racist. The shows were wrong and I was wrong to laugh at them, but because of the culture I was in, it would have been hard for me to realize that they and I were wrong. If asked I will add a disclaimer to my opinions on those shows that yes, I enjoyed them, but now realize they are wrong, and so if you want to watch them, you need to be aware that they are the product of a culture where those prejudices were pervasive.
Agree completely; and I like you "atom" analogy.

I emphasized that last part because I think it's important. We need to better understand that "a culture where those prejudices were pervasive" is not the same thing as "a culture where nobody was prejudiced" or "a culture where those weren't an issue," or "a culture where nobody was offended by this." Because there has always been pejudice, these things have always been an issue, and they have always been offensive.

Also, this is a weird thing to feel threatened by. "Oh no, something I enjoy is changing so that more people can enjoy it as well!" I'm usually pretty snarky but I'm 100% level with you here: I really don't understand the outrage and arguments against this. (Please don't take that as an invitation to explain your outrage to me. I really don't care, and my advice is to update your way of thinking if you're uncomfortable about the disclaimer and updates.)

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Ideally, all of them. In practice, any that you think share aspects of a culture you describe. I'd try the following. checklist:
  • For each race you describe, list any defining or characteristics you present
  • Think for yourself of which real-life cultures this might be considered a characteristic of (in reality or in stereotype)
  • Do online searches for the same
  • Search for experts who cover all those cultures.
So, if you describe a race as having "short flat snub noses" a web search will turn up rapidly the information that that description was used to indicate the low intelligence of Black peoples. So if you used that as a defining characteristic, you should run it past an expert to tell you if the descriptions is still problematic in view of the other characteristics of that culture as you define it.

In passing, I'd also suggest that if you have more than 3 new races, you have too many. Kill your babies.

Yep, the correct idealistic answer is all of them - because my unconscious bias may lead me to leave out a group. The more practical answer is still too many. The realistic answer is I might have a few to cover the largest minority groups.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Yep, the correct idealistic answer is all of them - because my unconscious bias may lead me to leave out a group. The more practical answer is still too many. The realistic answer is I might have a few to cover the largest minority groups.

Actually, I believe the correctest answer was to reduce the number of all-new peoples, which would solve the practical problem of too many races while allowing you to do adequate research on the races you kept.

FrogReaver

Actually, I believe the correctest answer was to reduce the number of all-new peoples, which would solve the practical problem of too many races while allowing you to do adequate research on the races you kept.

even 1 race could be an amalgamation of 12 real life cultures along with cool ideas and then a history to make it all come together. And that’s all assuming I realize where my idea are coming from which isn’t guaranteed to be the case.

Voadam

Legend
Did a search for “crimson” and native Americans. Got tapestries, headdresses, jewelry and other inanimate objects, no slurs.

Ditto “scarlet”.

If you make a literally red-skinned evil humanoid I expect it could be associated with a commonly known pejorative term for American Indians. I do not believe the exact hue would be a significant issue.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
even 1 race could be an amalgamation of 12 real life cultures along with cool ideas and then a history to make it all come together. And that’s all assuming I realize where my idea are coming from which isn’t guaranteed to be the case.

I suspect that if you're pulling from twelve real-world cultures to make one fictional one, you're likely to avoid making a something that looks or feels like a one-to-one parody of one real-world culture. Or, of course, you could be managing to collect the Twelve Worst Stereotype Cliches.

FrogReaver

If you make a literally red-skinned evil humanoid I expect it could be associated with a commonly known pejorative term for American Indians. I do not believe the exact hue would be a significant issue.

Teiflings exist as red skinned characters that have devilblood and are typically outcasts and not trusted by society. No one has made the Native American association till now. You may have singlehandedly managed to ruin the tiefling race!

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Teiflings exist as red skinned characters that have devilblood and are typically outcasts and not trusted by society. No one has made the Native American association till now. You may have singlehandedly managed to ruin the tiefling race!
Oh my Pelor.

That said, Tiefling culture often feels vaguely eastern European and there's some anti-Slavic tendencies there, so it could just be a whole host of issues adding up, red-skin one of them.

I think 4e/5e tiefling art tends to remind people of that one red twi'lek sith girl though. Must be the handlebar horns/leks combined with the red skin and the male-gaze.

Mercurius

Legend
Let’s take this to the extreme a little. Just to see what it looks like. I have a fantasy book with 12 races I just made up - likely all amalgamations of my knowledge real world cultures (Past and present), cool ideas and a healthy dose of verisimilitude for how they came to be the way they are presented in my book.

How many experts do I need and which cultures do they need to represent?

I think you know my answer, but will offer it anyone. Because, well, the internet.

My approach would to use my own judgement to see if there are any obviously analogues, that is, if any of the races are obviously and primarily drawn from a single real world ethnic group. If so, then I might seek the advice of someone. If not, I don't see the problem as it falls into the "fantasy is fantasy" category.

Meaning, I would make a distinction between "inspired by" and "based upon," especially when the former has multiple sources of inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads