• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OMG Dragonmark feats!

chaotix42

First Post
Especially the Mark of Scribing! You get 4 languages that you can retrain instead of the regular power/feat/skill and the ability to master all rituals (unlike the other feats which allow access to a narrow selection of rituals)! You can also scribe ritual scrolls in half the time. It's like 3 feats rolled up into 1!

The aberrant marks are sweet too, inflicting an encounter-long penalty on an enemy when you hit them with a daily power. One of my favorites is one that gives someone you hit a -2 to Will for the rest of the encounter.

It was uncommon to see a dragonmarked PC in my old Eberron games - perhaps 1 PC in every group was dragonmarked. Now I can see a majority of my players taking dragonmarks. They're just that cool!

Part of me thinks they are a sure sign of power creep since they offer so much (the Mark of Finding is one lame duck though :erm: ), but perhaps that's by design?

Kordeth

First Post
Personally, I'm a little disappointed that the Mark of Storm has no love for the Lyrandar rogue (at least until he can pick up a lightning weapon or something that lets him fly), but other than that I dig the hell out of them.

chitzk0i

Explorer
Part of me thinks they are a sure sign of power creep since they offer so much (the Mark of Finding is one lame duck though :erm: ), but perhaps that's by design?

Most people won't just take a feat for the hell of it. They want to get some benefit out of it. More powerful = more likely to be taken. There was a Design & Development article about Dragonmarks about this.

chaotix42

First Post
Yeah, the dragonmarks used to bring their own power to the table. Now they just piggyback or enhance certain effects. In their attempt to open up their usefulness to more classes they've kind of just shifted who they're useful for. I still think they have much wider applications in their current form and are far more useful and attractive.

Thinking a bit more about it, it's tough to say "power creep" when all of the new bonus to hit feats are sringing up!

These dragonmarked feats are truly several feats in one though! The Mark of Handling is just so cool - grants Mounted Combat, natural beasts you ride gain a bonus to speed and AC, any beast companion you have gains the same bonus, and you can master Animal Messenger and Steed Summons. I'm already envisioning the mounted ranger with wolf companion running side by side...

*edit @chitzk0i* Just saw your post and I definitely agree.

Last edited:

Most people won't just take a feat for the hell of it. They want to get some benefit out of it. More powerful = more likely to be taken. There was a Design & Development article about Dragonmarks about this.
More specifically, what they apparantly wanted to achieve that you really become good at what is associated with your house. Not just a "secondary benefit". But if you are a Healer from House Jorasco, you are better at it then other Healers.
A 3.x Cleric with the Jorasa Mark would get Cure Light Wounds. That's ... disappointing if you can have Wands of Cure Light Wounds and cast Cure Critical Wounds eventually.
And a 3.x Rogue with the Mark? Cure Light Wound once per day isn't all that impressive anymore at 5th level...

Now, just tell me why or how I did miss the short window where Dragonworld had the Eberrons Player Guide? I want to see the stuff for myself! ;)

Remove ads