D&D 2E On AD&D 2E

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
2nd edition is, definitely, my sentimental favorite... so much so that, when I wrote my AD&D3 houserules (basically I mash-up of Castles & Crusades and AD&D), I tried to make them as 2nd edition compatible as possible. It was the most versatile set of rules and, during its run, TSR put out a slew of amazing settings.

Encounter charts, magic items, and treasure are all taken from 2nd edition; even the chapters of the PHB and DMG mirror those of 2nd edition.

R_J_K75

Legend
Other than art/layout, there was very little difference. The one bit I know was different was the very small section on outer planes. The original 2e DMG used the original names for the planes (e.g. Nirvana, Seven Heavens, Hell) while the revised version used the Planescape names (e.g. Mechanus, Mount Celestia, Baator).
Better layout, better index and new art, along with typos corrections and errata included. Not bad.
Thanks folks, good to know.

It was terrible. The original 2E art was amazing.
The cover especially. First time I saw that fighter charging with sword drawn on the cover, I knew I wanted to play fighter types.

When I got my PoD copy, I was so disappointed by the art that I looked up pieces from the 2e PHB. The female warrior who has the hill giant on his back and is pulling his nose ring? I showed that to my girls as an example of a strong female character in D&D back in the day.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I loved 2E, the whole feel and vibe of the game has changed since and I miss it. I think it’s safe to say that edition was the most fun I had playing D&D. Me and the people I played with all played and DMed. We all swapped books and used A LOT of those optional rules, campaign settings, dragon/dungeon magazines, etc. We very rarely had any issues with introducing a new rule, class, kit, spell or magical item, and no one gave 2 sh*ts about character/class or game balance. Character death loomed around every corner, which seems something the game lost along the way. Not that I try (or tried) to intentionally kill PCs, but it added a level of tension and suspense I haven't seen in the game since. Once 3E lifted race/class requirements and dual & multi class limits IME players stopped caring about their characters as much because they could always just make another one. Sure 2E had its flaws but I think it's the most well-rounded edition. I read so many 2E books cover to cover and played 3, 4 even 5 times a week. None of us had jobs, we just sat around drinking beer, smoking pot and playing 12+ hour sessions sometimes for days on end. So of course, I have a lot of nostalgia for that edition. When 3E came out it was shiny and new but the shine wore off pretty quick. Players came and went over the years but in 2000 we made the decision to switch to 3E, and switched to subsequent editions as they came out. We are now playing 5E, which I'm not a big fan of, but then again I havent had that desire to pour over books, create characters, or write adventures since 2E. In fact we knew the rules so well back then that we could sit down and play for hours with zero thought or prep. I've been seriously considering switching back to 2E the last few months, but since we as a group decided to invest in and play 5E Ive been reluctant to do so. With Crisis on OGL and the forthcoming 1D&D that option is looking better and better. Sadly, over the last few years I've lost a lot of passion and drive for the hobby for various real-life reasons, so maybe a change will rekindle it.
Almost all of The non-wp profs can be used at like a -3 to the stat, if I recall correctly

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Almost all of The non-wp profs can be used at like a -3 to the stat, if I recall correctly
I think you might be thinking of this chart here, but the penalty is for weapon proficiencies only?

PHB1.jpg
PHB2.jpg

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The cover especially. First time I saw that fighter charging with sword drawn on the cover, I knew I wanted to play fighter types.

When I got my PoD copy, I was so disappointed by the art that I looked up pieces from the 2e PHB. The female warrior who has the hill giant on his back and is pulling his nose ring? I showed that to my girls as an example of a strong female character in D&D back in the day.
This one?
cutting_things_down-crop.jpg

Remove ads