On Fantasy Grounds D&D Increases Dominance To 71%

If you thought Roll20's 52% was impressive, on Fantasy Grounds D&D is now 71% of games. Pathfinder (both editions) comes to 13% in second place. These figures are for Q4, 2020.

Top20_Games_2020_Q4_pie.jpg

So here's what D&D (the bright green line) has done since the beginning of 2019. There's am obvious pandemic boost for VTTs, starting in February 2020.

Top10_Games_Trend.jpg

D&D is so big that it makes it impossible to actually see everybody else on the graph. So here it is without D&D so you can see how everybody else is doing. The top purple line is Pathfinder 1E, and the blue one below it is Pathfinder 2E. Then comes Savage Worlds in orange, followed by Starfinder and Call of Cthulhu.

Popular_Games_excluding_DND.jpg

Last edited:

dm4hire

Explorer
Fantasy Grounds is REALLY good for Savage Worlds. It might be that a higher percentage of SW online play happens on FG than with other systems.
Foundry has official support for Savage Worlds.

I am very doubtful that a package that costs 50$ and a reasonably high level of computer knowledge to open your computer as a server will have substantial numbers compared to free systems using browser.

Particularly when it was launched less than a year ago. They may be an insurgency but skeptical doesn’t even come close.
While the hosting software may be on the host's system, or on a hosting server, Foundry is played via browser and is free to everyone but who purchased it.

As for tracking it may not be possible to directly track since systems are "plugged in" via direct links to the developers. However, I'm sure you could get the info from those developers and then compare to Foundry's purchase numbers. That would only give a base percentage though and wouldn't reveal how many are actually playing.

I think people are fooling themselves that pf2 is really competitive at all

my local flgs
board games take up huge section
Warhammer/star wars legion/paints
Card games behind the counter
rest of store is 99% D&D and D&D miniatures

Pathfinder and other roleplaying games are no offense but a niche product. im really curious how the lord of the rings game will do
you see the same thing at the big book stores (barnes and noble)

Are there any popular live streams of pathfinder 2?

smiteworks

Explorer
What is SFRPG?
2E = AD&D 1E/2E
3.5E = D&D 3.5E
4E = D&D 4E
5E = D&D fifth edition
DCC RPG = Dungeon Crawl Classics from Goodman Games
PFRPG = Pathfinder
SFRPG = Starfinder
DSA = Das Schwarz Auge - German version labeled The Dark Eye in English
CoreRPG = built-in system for running games generically and not using a custom ruleset
MoreCore = fan-made system that enhances CoreRPG

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I think people are fooling themselves that pf2 is really competitive at all

my local flgs
board games take up huge section
Warhammer/star wars legion/paints
Card games behind the counter
rest of store is 99% D&D and D&D miniatures

Pathfinder and other roleplaying games are no offense but a niche product. im really curious how the lord of the rings game will do
you see the same thing at the big book stores (barnes and noble)

Are there any popular live streams of pathfinder 2?

I don't think anyone is denying its a niche product (as are most table top RPG's outside of 5e), I think people are curious to find out how much of a niche.

TheSword

Legend

While the hosting software may be on the host's system, or on a hosting server, Foundry is played via browser and is free to everyone but who purchased it.

As for tracking it may not be possible to directly track since systems are "plugged in" via direct links to the developers. However, I'm sure you could get the info from those developers and then compare to Foundry's purchase numbers. That would only give a base percentage though and wouldn't reveal how many are actually playing.
I think the challenge is that opening my computer up to host was not a simple process, disappointingly. More support on how to do this, in a way that is understandable for someone who isn’t an expert in computers/familiar with code might help. I would have expected Foundry to make this more accessible. In the end I used the Forge and found the process less than satisfactory.

Matchstick

Adventurer

I purchased both Foundry and its Savage Worlds module and they're good, no question. They're just not nearly as good as SW on FG.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases