On Fantasy Grounds D&D Increases Dominance To 71%

If you thought Roll20's 52% was impressive, on Fantasy Grounds D&D is now 71% of games. Pathfinder (both editions) comes to 13% in second place. These figures are for Q4, 2020. D&D is so big that it makes it impossible to actually see everybody else on the graph. So here it is without D&D so you can see how everybody else is doing. The top purple line is Pathfinder 1E, and the blue one...

If you thought Roll20's 52% was impressive, on Fantasy Grounds D&D is now 71% of games. Pathfinder (both editions) comes to 13% in second place. These figures are for Q4, 2020.

Top20_Games_2020_Q4_pie.jpg

So here's what D&D (the bright green line) has done since the beginning of 2019. There's am obvious pandemic boost for VTTs, starting in February 2020.

Top10_Games_Trend.jpg

D&D is so big that it makes it impossible to actually see everybody else on the graph. So here it is without D&D so you can see how everybody else is doing. The top purple line is Pathfinder 1E, and the blue one below it is Pathfinder 2E. Then comes Savage Worlds in orange, followed by Starfinder and Call of Cthulhu.

Popular_Games_excluding_DND.jpg

The issue is that my native language (French) is used in France but I live in Canada, so there aren't VTT in my language in my timezone. I can type without too much errors but it's not the same to play at a table. I should check for play by post however.
I have a guy in my Monday game from Quebec (I originally am from Montréal) and he is quite French. He runs his own game.

There certainly are French language games out there. My game is full, but I am bilingual and have played D&D in French before.

dm4hire

Explorer
I find most people here cheer or lambast 5e and 2e fairly equally.
New people joining may be bringing it up to counter, but most of the PF2 groups I'm in people are saying they have switched. That would indicate the numbers would be higher if it wasn't there.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I got a good (though perhaps unsatisfying) response from Foundry. I've asked their permission to pass it along, and will post the response if they do permit it.
Here is their response, posted with permission:

Unfortunately there is not - at this time - a plan to release such a report for Foundry VTT for three reasons:

1. The Foundry Virtual Tabletop business model (as a one-time purchase) means that customer numbers are very tightly linked to sensitive business financial data, so any report that I issue would have to be transformed in a way (for example percentage shares only) in order to avoid revealing too much about the ongoing operation of the business.

2. An important aspect of the Foundry Virtual Tabletop privacy policy is that we don't collect data about how you are using the software, so accurate data about how many players are currently using a certain game system is not data that we collect. In the future I have plans to add an opt-in setting along the lines of "I agree to share some usage data with Foundry Virtual Tabletop to help them continue to improve their product and service", but for the time being this is data we have chosen not to collect.

3. The software is still in its first year since launch, its growing quickly and the composition of available game systems for the software has still not stabilized, this creates a risk that the current data on this might cause people to internally cache certain preconceptions about Foundry being "good at X" or "bad at X" when the reality is rather that the community and game system support is still rapidly evolving.

I realize these reasons may not be satisfying to you - I would like to release some usage data and statistics in the future, but I don't think it's the right time to do that for the above reasons.

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Who is jeering about 2e? I think a lot of what you're seeing is people disappointed 2e doesn't appear to be doing better, not jeering at it.

And no, we don't need 5 different threads on it. Not sure why they were not combined into one.

Hmm I might be incorrect, my assumption mostly comes from that every time there is non D&D 5e kickstarter announcement for another system, someone always says they shouldn't even bother with 2e (or any other system) :'D

dave2008

Legend
New people joining may be bringing it up to counter, but most of the PF2 groups I'm in people are saying they have switched. That would indicate the numbers would be higher if it wasn't there.
I'm sorry, your response makes no sense to me in the context of my response to your comment. Can you clarify?

For a recap:

1) You said 5e fans here constantly jeering at 2e.

2) I countered saying people cheer and lambast 5e and 2e equally. To clarify, I don't really see people jeering 5e or 2e. I do see people criticize both, but vary rarely (if ever) is a fan of one or the other trying denigrate the other.

3) You said based on your experience, the number would be higher. What number?

Before I make any more comments I would like to verify whether your talking about D&D 2e or PF2e. Since you haven't been around much (according to you), I can update you on the feel of the PF2e forum and D&D 5e forum, but I don't know much about D&D 2e.

EDIT: I just realized you were not the person I originally responded too! Sorry, still can you clarify your comment. It doesn't make sense to me.

dave2008

Legend
Hmm I might be incorrect, my assumption mostly comes from that every time there is non D&D 5e kickstarter announcement for another system, someone always says they shouldn't even bother with 2e (or any other system) :'D
Interesting, are you talking about these forums? I haven't seen those type of comments. I have seen posters say they understand why a 3PP wouldn't release content for PF2e (market size), or people saying they wish a 3PP would release content for PF2e, or that it is a bad sign that people aren't releasing content, but I have never seen a comment that a 3PP shouldn't release content for PF2e.

MaskedGuy

Explorer
Interesting, are you talking about these forums? I haven't seen those type of comments. I have seen posters say they understand why a 3PP wouldn't release content for PF2e (market size), or people saying they wish a 3PP would release content for PF2e, or that it is a bad sign that people aren't releasing content, but I have never seen a comment that a 3PP shouldn't release content for PF2e.

I think the particular example I can think of was actually about Cypher system hmmmm. Like that Monte Cook's... Diamond City? Diamond Throne? Something like that. Anyway, someone was complaining about them adapting it for the system instead of 5e

dave2008

Legend
I think the particular example I can think of was actually about Cypher system hmmmm. Like that Monte Cook's... Diamond City? Diamond Throne? Something like that. Anyway, someone was complaining about them adapting it for the system instead of 5e
OK, I'm not really familiar with the Cypher system or what people have been saying about it. But I do follow the 5e and PF2e forums if you want some insight into the state of those forums

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads