D&D General On how many dice we use

When you get out your dice to play D&D, what do you get out on the table?

• I use electronic dice - a phone app, VTT program, etc.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • I use one matched set of dice per character.

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • I use 2-3 sets.

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • I use 4+ sets at once.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don't use matched sets, I use 10 or fewer mixed dice.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I use 10 - 20 mixed dice.

• I have a big bag, I just pour them out.

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • My use of dice does not neatly fit into any pattern. Sometimes I do one thing, sometimes another.

• I use chits, a Ouija board, or some other method of random number generation.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Tazawa

Adventurer
I use multiple dice of the same colour for each type because I am old and get confused otherwise.

4x d4 black
12x d6 red (enough for any fireball or lightning bolt)
8x d8 blue (cone of cold)
4x d10 yellow
4x d12 purple
2x d20 orange
5x d20 red (handed out for inspiration)

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I'm a DM and none of the poll options apply to what I do. I have a large bespoke set built to meet the needs of my game. 6d4, 10d6, 6d8, 4d10, 3d12, 4d20, 1d30. It's like this for things like rolling stats for Dark Sun characters, 2e versions of fireballs and lightning bolts, flame strikes, percentiles and normal d10s, creatures with multiple attacks etc. On the rare occasions that I play, as opposed to DM, there's no pattern. I might just grab some dice from my DM bag, choose a nice metal set, grab an old-school set from the 80s, bust out some Zocchi gem dice - whatever whim takes me.

My mum put all our dice in a roughly 5"x5" cubic (and hence slightly dice-shaped) plastic box when my bro and I were teenagers, to help us out, and I've held on to that box for the 25+ years since, as it's gradually become more full (it barely closes now - not all). We usually tip it out a bit and hand out the dice at the start of an in-person session. Sometimes a player brings their own dice but it's not completely reliable and they usually only have a single set, which isn't really enough for D&D. I also have a couple of players who like to use dice on their phone sometimes, and one time we forgot the dice box and everyone did that and honestly it seemed fine, just not quite as fun.

Remove ads