D&D General On simulating things: what, why, and how?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Even modern D&D is still fundamentally pretty simulation-y, it just leans more on high-concept simulation as opposed to process simulation. In non-jargon terms, 5e doesn’t try to use its rules as a physics engine the way 3e does, but “creating a living, breathing world” is still held up as the ideal. That world doesn’t have to be “realistic” or reflective of reality, but it’s still considered desirable to make the world “believable” or “consistent.” Often, we try to emulate the feel of a particular genre. That’s still simulation, you’re just simulating something other than reality.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It sounds like we started around the same time only I’ve held onto AD&D rather than switched to 2E. And I’m largely of the same mind in regards to loose simulation. You can only move so far for so long before exhaustion sets in, you can only carry so much before the weight slows you down, you need food and water to survive, you need sleep, etc.

I want all of that reflected in the game. Though I’m not sure how much the rules can or should reflect that. By that I mean three things. First, the set of rules required would need to be too long to read to even remotely reflect reality…to say nothing of the rules required to reflect all the things that are “unreal” in the real world. Second, more specifically, no matter how long the rules they cannot accurately simulate reality as there are too many variables in play. Third, rules that reflect the real world are largely redundant as we all already have experience with the real world. Varying degrees of experience and different experiences, yes, but we all have a rough physics simulator running in our heads. Along with rough models for all kinds of other things.

These models we have already running in our heads are sometimes referred to as invisible rulebooks.

Conversely, the more rules you have, the harder it is to read and absorb them all, to say nothing of running the game. Rules also invariably limit player choices either intentionally or unintentionally. This quote from Over the Edge always stuck with me and I've found it to be true.

"And why the simple mechanics? Two reasons: First, complex mechanics invariably channel and limit the imagination; second, my neurons have better things to do than calculate numbers and refer to charts all evening. Complex mechanics, in their effort to tell you what you can do, generally do a fair job of implying what you cannot do."

Which is why I prefer minimalist gaming, rules ultra-light, and FKR-style play.

Last edited:

Simulation is an element of D&D that grew out of its wargaming roots. Simulation in wargaming remains quite a contentious topic. Some people think sci-fi wargames can be simulations. Others don't.

My benchmark for simulation is 'can be tested against reality'. A wargame about the the Battle of the Bulge needs to be able to recreate the actual events as one of its outcomes. The effectiveness of different units needs to fall within a range of plausibility generated by our knowledge of their actual battle effectiveness. Supply limitations need to be based on actual knowledge of supply shortfalls and logistical difficulties. Movement speeds need to match the known capabilities of men and vehicles. And so on.

So if a Panther meets a Sherman Firefly at 700 yards we can have a reasonable idea - based on matters of record - of the range of outcomes and their probability in that engagement. So the stats of a Panther, relative to a Sherman - together with a gameplay loop - can be created to try and match those outcomes. You can also take the known technology of a T80 and a Challenger II and try to create a predictive model on a hypethetical conflict - but again based on the measurable reality of speeds, muzzle velocities, ammo loadouts, gun traverse speeds, targeting systems, smoke dispensors.

This is what, broadly speaking, wargamers consider 'simulation' - whether military formations behave according to their known, demonstrable, evidenced limitations from the historical record and whether the troops and supplies available in the game match those that were present in reality. Even then, there's an element of subjectivity in these descriptions. Some wargamers have very narrow views on the range of outcomes in certain circumstances, others are more accepting of a broader range.

But when it comes to fantasy rpgs, all these concepts are meaningless from the start. What exists is make believe, the range of outcomes are inventions. There are no demonstrable limitations. There is no 'simulation' of what happens when a small white dragon lands on the roof of a house. The answer has to be made up by someone, and the other participants have to agree. That's all there is to it. Make-believe creature, make-believe house, make-believe outcome.

The illusion of simulation is created by creating great libraries of numbers in statblocks and pretending they represent a reality. But all those statblocks are invention. They can't be tested against anything, so they can't ever be right or wrong. They can be agreed to or not agreed to, but that's not a test of simulation - that's a test of whether the invented mechanics meet the aesthetic preferences of the group.

And that's what I see most of all when people talk about simulation - the question isn't whether something is verifiable, the question is whether outcomes meet an entirely subjective aesthetic preference which can be
a) labelled as 'real' or 'plausible', and
b) attributed to the system rather than the people playing

I used to play a lot of this style, but don't nowadays. My group and I still want plausible actions and outcomes, but we expect them to come from the people playing rather than the game system.

Reynard

Legend
Another thread just reminded me of one of the "simulationy" things that bugs me in 5E especially: the pace of advancement is such that you can have a bunch of novice adventurers head off toward the dungeon, terrified of meeting goblins in the woods, and literally a week later return at 3rd or 4th level and not be one bit worried about the stuff that a week ago scared them to death. it just feels off to me. But if you make the monsters in the woods werewolves or trolls to ensure the PCs will still be worried a week later, you've created a deathtrap for them on the way out should the random encounter appear. Of course as GM you can always put your finger on the scale, but that itself is anti-simulation.

Simulation is one of the foundations on which all RPGs are based, even if people don't like to admit it. A basic connection to the real world is the basis for all consistency and communication. It doesn't matter if it's a game about powerful wizards or mice that fight like knights, when you sit down and learn about a TTRPG for the first time, you come to the table with certain expectations about how the world works; those expectations are based on reality.

Every RPG is a simulationist RPG. Something like gravity exists and you don't have to worry about your character floating off the ground. Characters commuicate in a language that the player understands. When something hits something else, there is reaction. Nobody starts writing a TTRPG rulebook by completely redefining the entire world.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Another thread just reminded me of one of the "simulationy" things that bugs me in 5E especially: the pace of advancement is such that you can have a bunch of novice adventurers head off toward the dungeon, terrified of meeting goblins in the woods, and literally a week later return at 3rd or 4th level and not be one bit worried about the stuff that a week ago scared them to death. it just feels off to me. But if you make the monsters in the woods werewolves or trolls to ensure the PCs will still be worried a week later, you've created a deathtrap for them on the way out should the random encounter appear. Of course as GM you can always put your finger on the scale, but that itself is anti-simulation.
Now leveling is something that has never ever been sim to me. Thats firmly in the "game" pile of design. I usually come to terms with it by just placing leveling under the hood mechanically. I need it for game purposes, but for RP its not known or discussed in character. One of the reasons I really like bounded accuracy of 5E is it makes that blending process so much easier. Goblins are still a threat, they just need the numbers to do it. The more experience you have the greater the threats you can face, but even the best will be overrun with enough fodder.

Reynard

Legend
Now leveling is something that has never ever been sim to me. Thats firmly in the "game" pile of design.
Right, but it doesn't have to be designed in a way that is so aggressively in conflict with the "sim" elements. The slower, less spectacular pace of leveling in earlier versions certainly helped avoid making the mere act feel like a break in immersion. Until magic users got 5th level spells anyway...

Oofta

Legend
Now leveling is something that has never ever been sim to me. Thats firmly in the "game" pile of design. I usually come to terms with it by just placing leveling under the hood mechanically. I need it for game purposes, but for RP its not known or discussed in character. One of the reasons I really like bounded accuracy of 5E is it makes that blending process so much easier. Goblins are still a threat, they just need the numbers to do it. The more experience you have the greater the threats you can face, but even the best will be overrun with enough fodder.

When it comes to leveling, there has to be a certain granularity to people improving their skills so I've never had an issue with it. On the other hand, I agree that people may refer to someone as a green fighter or an archmage, but they have no clue what a level is. Or hit points, or specific AC or any number of other things.

The pace at which PCs level is another issue entirely.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Right, but it doesn't have to be designed in a way that is so aggressively in conflict with the "sim" elements. The slower, less spectacular pace of leveling in earlier versions certainly helped avoid making the mere act feel like a break in immersion. Until magic users got 5th level spells anyway...
I'm not so sure. Then again, I didnt really hit my prime in the old school days either. Leveling always felt a bit rapid and disconnected in D&D. I guess thats why I came to terms with it like in my post. Now, my favorite Sci-fi system Traveller seems to marry the two in a much better way than D&D ever has. Though, many struggle with it because the "game" part isnt as defined and obvious as D&D. YMMV.

Remove ads