D&D General On the subject of Hobgoblins

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yeah, oddly I find Goblins, Bugbears and Hobgoblins very under-utilized.

They exist, and supposedly have these cities and cultures and quite a bit of lore, but they never seem consolidtated into a notable location, which is odd considering that that is exactly what hobgoblins would be known for.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My issue with Hobgoblins has always been that they’re are miltaristic society that don't seem to have a point of origin. Where is the Hobgoblin empire? None of the published settings have one. I could put one in my campaign setting if I wanted but there doesn't seem much point. I don't like the idea of a great big all evil society, but there's already enough player character races that more aren't really needed (and when I do add more, hobgoblins don't really seem like a particular high priority or particularly appealing to players.). And if I wanted a miliatristic empire it would seem more interesting to use one of the player character races to show some diversity among cultures in those races (Dwarves, in particular, are good for this kind of niche - the Charduni from the Scarred Lands setting were always pretty cool.).

So if were to use them they would tend to be from some kind of otherworld or extra-planar mercenaries - I can't remember the last time I actually used them - although I have reskinned hobgoblins as human soldiers reasonably frequently.
This is why I liked Hobgoblins as being former fey and the dark mirror of Elves.

Each being a descendant of long forgotten fey races that fought in the Feywild. The ancient Hobs being the Sparta to the ancient elves' Athens. The Hobgoblins seek to reclaim a empire they lost at all cost in new lands as they can't go back to the plane of their heritage. The hobgoblins being a hodgepodge of imagery from Rome, Japan, and Sparta represent the time weirdness of the Feywild and the lack of hobgoblin scribe making the Hobs not really knowing their history and being confused as a society.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yeah, oddly I find Goblins, Bugbears and Hobgoblins very under-utilized.

They exist, and supposedly have these cities and cultures and quite a bit of lore, but they never seem consolidtated into a notable location, which is odd considering that that is exactly what hobgoblins would be known for.
I agree completely. They're cool, and I like the lore on them, but for some reason neither the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, or other major D&D worlds that have goblinoids rarely use them.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I agree completely. They're cool, and I like the lore on them, but for some reason neither the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, or other major D&D worlds that have goblinoids rarely use them.
It's probably a case of orc on the brain, part of the overwhelming mindshare that Tolkien holds on a lot of people.

Remove ads