D&D 5E On whether sorcerers and wizards should be merged or not, (they shouldn't)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Why wouldn’t you, the D&D design team buried the lead, as! 😄
Sorcerers have the better subclasses, most drip with flavor...( not all...cough, Divine Soul).

More thematic sure. But that's because so much of a particular sorcerer's identity is tied up in his subclass choice. Much like clerics and warlocks subclasses.

Other subclasses like those for fighters and rogues and barbarians only serve to enhance the identity that's already present.

So it's not a fair point to bring up subclasses and flavor as something meaningful as subclasses are used differently for each class.

I’m not sure how to roleplay a Conjurer Wiz....the school has no readily accessible theme. Same for the Transmuter, the Druid is a better Transmuter, Master of Form than the Transmuter.

It's like asking how to roleplay a battlemaster fighter differently than a champion fighter. For the most part you don't. The conjurer is just a wizard that's specializing in conjuring magic. You roleplay him the same as you would any wizard.

A school of magic is not an evocative basis to form a character identity, (the Evocation school is of course literally exempt from that statement).

It doesn't have to be because the class itself is the identity - scholar of magic.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
While true, that role heavily contributes to identity & none of those spells you finally admitted to talking about amount to much of a role Bards druids & clerics bring significant class specific abilities to the table beyond just the spell list... Sorcerer is problematic because it does not, it steals & copies too much from wizard to just tack "but improved" onto wizard.

Improved?

The sorcerer class has been inferior to wizards in every edition they both exist in. The closest they've been was in 4e and it did it by separating them into two different roles completely.

FrogReaver

Improved?

The sorcerer class has been inferior to wizards in every edition they both exist in. The closest they've been was in 4e and it did it by separating them into two different roles completely.

I suppose the question is - inferior at what - because at least in 5e - the wizard doesn't out do the sorcerer at everything - just most things.

Undrave

Legend
Ya know, I feel like, if we're gonna play a game with classes we should play a game with classes. It's not going to be popular but I think I prefer a bunch of narrow classes that do their specific job well rather than a bunch of wishy-washy "You can be anything you want!" classes where half of them end up lacking because they try to be EVERYTHING that's ever been attached to whatever their class name is.

The Wizard has been SO many things throughout the various edition... it used to be THE Spellcaster and a lot of people's favorite because they loved the feeling of power and the whole "I got a spell for that!" Batman thing... Plus they can do ALL the flavors of magic and in 5e don't really get penlized for it.

But the Wizard isn't the only spellcaster now and I think they should have tried to focus its niche more. Give it more of an identity because the Wizard is just... "Here's a pile of Spell, here's a Spellbook, you're sorta-vancian. Figure it out yourself" with very mild and repetitive subclass features (with Abjurer and Diviner being the stand outs for me, feature wise).

I don't to call it 'entitlement' because it sounds too negative, but I think Wizard players just have too many expectations for what a Wizard character should be able to do that just doesn't mesh well with a class-based game where, ideally, classes should have more defined functons in how they partake in group dynamic.

I dunno what a solution would be best though, because I know my ideas would probably piss people off because of said expectations...

It doesn't have to be because the class itself is the identity - scholar of magic.

Too limiting of a paradigm. A Diviner Wizard with the Bounty Hunter background who acts like a magical skip tracer/ bail bondsman does not scream scholar to me.

The Dresden files books protagonist, who’s name escapes me, was no scholar.

Hell, Harry Potter is no scholar.

edit: added

Undraves’ third paragraph above I think is brilliantly stated. A bunch of spells is not a character, not a satisfying Role Playing experience at least. Fine for roll playing, but not for depth.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think it's obvious that both Doctor Strange and Iron Man have exactly that defining moment of realization. Tony Stark's brief stay IN A CAVE WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS is particularly iconic.

A fair point, I see a different pathos in the moments, perhaps because Peter Parker was Spider-Man by the point in his story when it happens, but Tony Stark's moment is when he becomes Iron Man.

But I think the points I've been trying to make are fairly clear, despite some give or take on the specific details. There is a different story that can be told with power that comes out of nowhere as compared to power that you seek out and grasp.

You and others keep parroting that line & despite having previously admitted that there are a handful of spells that are pretty much required to be taken or face irrelevance not one person who's brought it up has been willing to admit specifically what spells among that handful of wizard specific spells you think creates the leap or what the spell list or theme of a character specializing in those wizard specific spells would look like.

You are avoiding the question I've been quite clear through this thread that the sorcerer copies or steals far too much from wizard. You on the other hand keep suggesting that wizards have some gigantic cache of meaningful "toys" as someone put it earlier yet you resort to character assassination & change the subject when pressed for details. Stop avoiding the subject and backup your poor argument or drop the nonsense.

You... You copied and pasted yourself? Wow, some dedication to that particular line and phrase.

So, do you want specific spells that a wizard has that makes them better than a sorcerer? (Point marked in blue) or What list or theme would come from specializing in them? (in the red)

Actually the red is an easy one, to a degree, even without looking at sublcasses I see Wizards have sole access to a lot of spells involving force constructs. Tenser's Disc, Magic Weapon, Tiny Hut, Resilient Sphere, Wall of Force, Bigby's hand, you can add dimensional magics too with Rope Trick, Mordenkainen;s Mansion, Demiplane, Planar Binding.

Of course, you could also add in Xanathar's spells and talk about Catapult, Snare, Earthbind, Steel Wind Strike, Scatter, Tenser's Transformation, Invulnerability.

So, a wizard based around the manipulation of space and energy is decently easy to build with almost all wizard exclusive spells.

But, that isn't what your main point seems to be, you seem to think the Sorcerer "Stole" from the wizard. Yet, your only defense of that claim seems to be violently pointing towards the shared arcane spells and declaring loudly "THEY HAVE THE SAME SPELLS, SORCERERS ARE THIEVES" which seems to beg the question, why is it not the other way around?

Since they share so many spells, can we not say that Wizard's stole from Sorcerers? I mean (sarcasm incoming) they come first in the PHB, so clearly the wizard just copied them, right?

No, that was sarcasm, clearly that didn't happen.

But, it is weird isn't it? If you look at all of the spells across the entire game, Sorcerers get (to my knowledge) only one single unique spell. Chaos Bolt. And it sucks, by the way.

Warlocks get unique spells. Bards get some (not more than like five though I think) clerics and druids get unique spells. Even Ranger's and Paladin's get unique spells.

Sorcerers don't. Is it because Sorcerers are thieves who cannot stand on their own? Or is it more likely that the designers just made them discount wizards and just copy pasted the spell list because they didn't see the point in trying to make them unique? And, if that was the case, is that the fault of the Sorcerer? A lot of us who are fans of sorcerers would love unique spells, we don't want to just be second-rate wizards. But, we weren't given that opportunity. Saying that it is our own fault for stealing from the wizard, when we were forced to accept the copy-paste we never wanted is kind of crappy. We want a unique class, we don't want to be a copy paste.

So, maybe, just maybe, we can make more progress in this discussion if you stop accusing sorcerers of stealing everything from the wizard, and instead we start talking more about how to differentiate them. Maybe without saying "design an entirely unique spell list using none of the material already existing in the game" since, you know, creating 200 something unique spells is more than a touch challenging for a single individual.

While true, that role heavily contributes to identity & none of those spells you finally admitted to talking about amount to much of a role Bards druids & clerics bring significant class specific abilities to the table beyond just the spell list... Sorcerer is problematic because it does not, it steals & copies too much from wizard to just tack "but improved" onto wizard.

I shouldn't bite, but I will

How exactly is the sorcerer "but improved" on the wizard with fewer spells, fewer spells per day, fewer uses of their subclass abilities (oh, you want to do something. That will cost sorcery points), and keeping the same restrictive HD, Armor (ie none) weapons (that's a joke)

Harry Blackstone Dresden.

FrogReaver

Too limiting of a paradigm. A Diviner Wizard with the Bounty Hunter background who acts like a magical skip tracer/ bail bondsman does not scream scholar to me.

Sounds like a scholar to me that decided to put his particular talents to a particular use.

I'm not familiar with him.

Hell, Harry Potter is no scholar.

Harry Potter went to wizard school. Sounds scholarly to me.

Harry Potter went to wizard school. Sounds scholarly to me.

Harry cut class, did magical drugs, and played with his Patronus....outside of soul rending tragedy, saving the universe, and the final chapter showing him to be an Auror, Harry could have been Spicolli from Fast Times at Magical Ridgemont High.

Stepping into a classroom does not make one a scholar.🤣

LOL

FrogReaver

Harry cut class, did magical drugs, and played with his Patronus....outside of soul rending tragedy, saving the universe, and the final chapter showing him to be an Auror, Harry could have been Spicolli from Fast Times at Magical Ridgemont High.

Stepping into a classroom does not make one a scholar.🤣

LOL

Nor does skipping class and having fun mean one isn't

Remove ads