D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

In the same sense that there are 1989 core books of 1e, sure.

Which is about the same as 2003 to 2000 core books.
About half an edition. With 4e and 3e, it seems we should look at the not so far distant past. There are a lot of gamers who were not born in 1989 and might remember 2003 or 2008 or 2012. So shouldn't we stop spreading fear and misinformation and focus on the actual changes?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
It feels to me like if you have to specify which printing of a book to use because the amount of substantive errata is no longer able to be sifted through easily, then it's effectively a new edition.

If going from 7th to 8th edition of Intro Stats brings a few rewritten paragraphs, a two page new subject, and a handful of new homework problems, then I feel bad having the students buy it over a used copy of the old one even if the publisher wants to act like it's not just a cash grab in their part. If half the homework problems are different, it changed the software examples, altered which test for proportions it had, updated half of the examples, and added two new chapters then it kind of feels like a new thing and I'll recommend they get the new one.

The big genealogy book I have about Cappeln came with a page of edits tucked in. Since then I was emailed three more new pages. At some point there will be enough pages of new info that it will be awkward and painful to use the original printed book. It won't matter if the author wants to act like it's the same thing. It's kind of like the year book supplements that used to come out for encyclopedias - at some point you really just wanted a new set.

My son loves Minecraft, but hates how some of his books become outdated because there's a new Minecraft version out because the options and code don't exist anymore in the current versions. That the code and options in the book are obsolete doesn't change based on whether or not the author specified a version number in the book. If Minecraft stopped using version numbers it wouldn't change whether the books were obsolete. On the other hand some books don't have much at all that has changed and they work just fine with the new edition.

As has been noted elsewhere, plenty of tables used to play OD&D, B/X, and 1e at the same table. Others argued over whether 4e and essentials were different games. The only thing that seems abundantly clear to me is that what the publisher calls it is far from the biggest determinant into what the practicalities are.

Last edited:

I'm just amused that people are so phobic about the word edition. :)

And I am asking why some people are so adamant about using it.
Looking at this forum, it comes from people who don't like 5e. So my job is makimg sure misinformation is called out, so that people who happen to read it here know that there is no 6e coming, that will totally revamp the game as 3e or 4e or 5e did.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Which is about the same as 2003 to 2000 core books.
About half an edition. With 4e and 3e, it seems we should look at the not so far distant past. There are a lot of gamers who were not born in 1989 and might remember 2003 or 2008 or 2012. So shouldn't we stop spreading fear and misinformation and focus on the actual changes?
I was born in 1976 and remember every edition change from '89 on just fine.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Totally agreement here.
But since the official numbers are totally off already, and the (recent) customers of DnD have a certain understanding of edition, it seems a good idea to not use the word in a totally different way.

As I said elsewhere: 4e alone had 20 editions, going by the iterative uselessness of the PHB1.

If the changes are big enough that a few pages of errata don't do it and if it's denoted 5e2024 or 5e1.01 or whatnot is fine to me. I'm ok if it doesn't end up being called 5.5. Minecraft seems to have big versions with lots of little updates as does the programming language R.

Remove ads

Remove ads