D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

So if they're going to move all classes so that archetypes give abilities at the same levels does that also open the possibility to allow cross class archetype dipping? Maybe a feat allows you to count your main class as a Cleric (as an example) for the purposes of archetype benefits?

I feel that may add a lot of layers of complexity, but it would give some interesting options.

OB1

Jedi Master
Wow, on first read thru, vastly better than what we saw in Packet 2. Cleric is great, guidance is great, the new species are great (even if the name is terrible).

Still don't like inspiration on a nat1, but I'm getting used to it.

Much better implementation of the Search, Study and Influence actions. Getting more on board with this approach.

mellored

Legend
So if they're going to move all classes so that archetypes give abilities at the same levels does that also open the possibility to allow cross class archetype dipping? Maybe a feat allows you to count your main class as a Cleric (as an example) for the purposes of archetype benefits?

I feel that may add a lot of layers of complexity, but it would give some interesting options.
Not just that, but opens up prestige sub-classes.

Like if they just did grappler as a prestige sub-class. Then you could have grappler wizard, grappler bard, grappler warlock...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Not just that, but opens up prestige sub-classes.

Like if they just did grappler as a prestige sub-class. Then you could have grappler wizard, grappler bard, grappler warlock...
Cleric looks mostly good. Definitely stuff in there I can steal.

Remove ads

Remove ads