D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

mellored

Legend
Except RAW, I think, it just doesn't work:
Turn Undead: [...] If the creature fails its Saving Throw, it is Dazed for 1 minute or until it takes any damage or you are Incapacitated or die.[...]
Smite Undead: [...] Each Undead that fails its Saving Throw against that use of Turn Undead takes Radiant Damage equal to the roll’s total.

At least, it needs clarification. As I read it, Smite Undead applies after the application of Turn Undead, which ends with any damage. Does anyone else read it like this?
No, it's part or the same thing action, not a seperate damage.
But wouldn't hurt to clarify.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If you read the flavor text, it can be a bit more general than that.

The Cleric class starts off by saying, "Clerics draw power from the realms of the gods and harness it to work miracles. Blessed by a deity, a pantheon, or another immortal entity, a Cleric can reach out to the divine magic of the Outer Planes—where gods dwell—and channel that energy to bolster people and to battle foes."

The Life Domain says, "The Life Domain focuses on the vibrant positive energy—one of the fundamental forces of the universe—that sustains all life. The Clerics who tap into this domain are masters of healing, using that force of life to cure many hurts. Existence itself relies on the positive energy associated with this domain, so a Cleric of any religious tradition might choose it."

So it's pitching Clerics as being blessed be a specific deity, but drawing their power from the Outer Planes. And they can thus focus on the domain of either that deity or the Outer Planes in general.
Well weren't the Domains (not the cleric subclass but the things gods fought over) always actual things. Sources of Power. Forces floating in the Outer planes.

In settings with gods, the gods would snatch them up and control access to them. This is why gods and nongods fought over them.
In settings without gods, domain would be available to anyone can tap into them.

Dire Bare

Legend
Aardling: This newer version is improved, but I still really dislike the concept of the race, and I hate the name. I prefer the existing way the game treats "animal-head people", each being their own species: tabaxi, tortle, harengon, etc. They more clearly tied the race to the guardinals of the planes, even if they didn't use that term. So, is that where the term "aardling" comes from? Guardinal to aardling? Eh.

Goliath: I'm not a fan of changing what goliaths are as a species. I like the current version of goliaths as related to giants, but without the same sort of subspecialization that dragonborn have. I really dislike goliath choosing between different giant types for their abilities. I also really dislike adding "Large Form", although the ability itself is okay.

Overall though, I do like what I'm seeing in this recent playtest document. I suspect that most of these options will score highly on the next survey.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Funny enough, as I mentioned, I recently played a goliath rune knight. Reading the new species, it feels like they combined the two into one ;)

(going large, and getting giant powers)
My wife has a Goliath rune knight, and I could see here taking this, while her Goliath ranger would more likely stick with the MoTM Goliath.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
I hope that continues, that level of symmetry sings to me
I personally do not like symmetry where it is not needed. Such as 3e where each evil thing must have a good, anachic, and lawful equivalent. I prefer each class with different progressions. That said, it is not a thing that I hate and prevent me to game. Just a thing I can live with and does not bother me very much :)

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
The Goliath's giant ancestry options match some homebrew of mine pretty well, so I'm down with this.

The Ardling seems like too loose a structure, but I think that's the point? But why do they all have a 0-level spell? It feels out of left field to me.

I really think Dragonborn should have options for natural armor and natural weapons, or the ability to develop them, but WOTC keeps not going there - Fizban's gave us extra breath weapons instead, which is a real head-scratcher.

Remove ads

Remove ads