D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
This playtest reinforces for me that this is a tweak, and therefore I am not interested. I was hoping for a more radical change after 10 years. But, I understand that have found a working formula and it is silly to change it.

We'll see a real "6e" once the influx of new players finally levels off.

This playtest reinforces for me that this is a tweak, and therefore I am not interested. I was hoping for a more radical change after 10 years. But, I understand that have found a working formula and it is silly to change it.

Like, because you call it out as it is.
I love it for that reason.

RE: Cleric (historically my favorite class across the editions I've played).

I really like the three "Holy Order" choices. I hate that it's at 2nd level.

I guess I don't mind that cleric subclasses kick in at 3rd level. I hate that the choice of deity/power-source/whatnot that limits which they will be isn't highlighted as a choice early on.

I personally would swap channel divinity and clerical order. But maybe it would run counter the reason why they are pushing subclasses back to level 3.
Maybe fighting style should be at level 2 in the fighter class for the same reason.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Folks been calling it 5.5e, though I'd argue of a 5.3 or the like. (y' get it, its like. 3.5e because its closer to 5e)

Anywho, onto the playtest itself, I actually have an old homebrew that did the "Give Goliaths giant ancestry" thing a while back, so am quite happy to see it going ahead

Stalker0

Legend
I personally would swap channel divinity and clerical order.
From a flavor standpoint I completely agree. One...choosing your holy order feels like an important background element. Second, if your going to have heavy armor you would want your early gear to reflect that, you don't want to have to "upgrade" to get use out of your ability. Third, if your taking the religion skill to get your wisdom bonus, feels like something you should have at 1st level.

Probably the reason they don't is it would be too abusive with multi-classing. A cleric 1/rogue could get some stupidly high expertise going on certain skills.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well weren't the Domains (not the cleric subclass but the things gods fought over) always actual things. Sources of Power. Forces floating in the Outer planes.

In settings with gods, the gods would snatch them up and control access to them. This is why gods and nongods fought over them.
In settings without gods, domain would be available to anyone can tap into them.
I'm thoroughly unfamiliar with this concept.

I like the 5e cleric and this mostly seems fine, but they're ignoring my single biggest complaint about the class: It starts to feel generic at higher levels. They need domain spells after 9th level in the class. Once you hit double digits and no longer get domain spells, you start to feel less like "your thing" than you did at lower levels. Feels bad, man.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's worse in this respect overall. It has a really weird "cool factor curve." First and second level, you're generic. Then from 3-9 you get lots of domain flavor, then your levels turn generic again. You get your second-best Holy Order ability at 9 to remind you how generic you're about to become. I think I really hate it.

Edit: To broaden the critique, domain spells should include some non-cleric spells. I didn't mention this because I played a tempest cleric to high level, and it's one of the ones that get cool domain spells. Other domains may not feel the same loss of flavor at higher levels since they didn't have much to begin with.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
One thing I noticed in the goliath entry: you don't double the carrying capacity anymore. You now count as one size larger.
So it seems, size might matter more when determining carrying capacity.
And yet at the same time they are making equipment less interesting and possibly even unnecessary

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases