D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

Fatigue/Exhaustion was always meaningless, because the first level was such a strong effect, that nothing besides Berserker ever ended up using the mechanic. Making it less punishing and not require a separate table look-up should make it possible for it to come up more.
Exhaustion was a big part of environmental/exploration mechanics. PC falls into frigid water? Exhaustion. PCs don't eat or drink enough? Exhaustion. Your table may not use these often, but they're still there and used. I know my players are always wary of exhaustion.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
He wasn't saying individual people are phantoms, but someone having a problem might be a phantom in terms of the general user base experience.
He was calling people who questioned were phantoms. By stating that if "someone has a problem might be a phantom in terms of general use," are you stating that if a person goes against what is considered the norm is nonexistent (phantom)? There are many ways to get a point across but one must be cautious about how they word it. The state of the person you are responding to

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand why they changed the Hunter. It was pretty good (on a pretty bad class, though). Now they have that weird Conjure Barrage features that's kinda bad for melee rangers, no?

I'd also like if they gave some not-overtly smite spells for the (downcastable) for the melee rangers, as an option,

The old feature was very bad too. There were so few cases where whirlwind actually was a choice, as it replaced all your attacks. So it worked terribly with extra attack and off hand attacks and even one of the hunter's own level 3 features.
A melee ranger can easily throw a dagger and conjure the cone.
The spell however is bad. It should generally be buffed to 4d8 at least.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Go have a look at the exploration rules. Our DnD people can go for days without food, water or sleep with ease. And we have multiple easy spells (or even Outlander as a free background) that just... remove any need to interact with even those rules.
This is not true. They can go 3 days + con modifier without food, but need water every day. Traveling more than 8 hours a day also incorporates exhaustion, as does most diseases the PCs may be exposed to.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Exhaustion was a big part of environmental/exploration mechanics. PC falls into frigid water? Exhaustion. PCs don't eat or drink enough? Exhaustion. Your table may not use these often, but they're still there and used. I know my players are always wary of exhaustion.
And fortunately, all these uses are still there, as far as we know. Exhaustion is simply more granular now.

Remove ads

Remove ads