D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

Just noting that Jon Snow is a fighter full stop. He's not a ranger, not even close. Jon has little ranger training, he's not a particularly good tracker or forager. He's a noble raised soldier.

Hmmh. Probably a multiclass ranger that did not chose survival as his expertise skill. I mean he started out as fighter and probably multiclassed a bit later.

The Ranger genuinely needed a rework (and I think at the very least a level 1 Ranger no longer feels remotely like a poor man's level 1 Fighter), and there are a few other changes I think actually addressed problems or seem to serve some sort of discernible purpose (I'm not sure I like the new two weapon fighting, but it's attacking a needlessly complex system so I'm glad to see them working on it). But to me mostly this seems like a lot of change for change's sake.

That doesn't make the changes terrible per se (although I think spells prepared being tied to spell level, and making memorized casters prepared, spellcasters are genuinely terrible changes). But my overall impression is that this all seems pretty aimless and pointless. If this is all OneD&D is going to be, than it really is nothing but a refresh to force me to buy new core books.

If they seemed to be going through everything with a few clear (preferably stated) goals in mind, whether they were simplification, or addressing common complaints, or even something I have no interest in like fixing the CR system I would have a lot more respect for the process even if I didn't like or agree with all the changes. But at this point I think goal one for the bulk of changes (if not for the most important ones) is to change things just enough that you can't use your old 5e PHB in a 5.5e game.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Burning hands used to be transmutation in 2e. Flame arrow was conjuration back then.

I hated it, when 3e put all damage spells in evocation.
Which I feel is fair enough, however in current edition, it seems spells are changing schools just because otherwise a class that you'd otherwise think should be able to access them can't because of the restrictions they've put on the class in regard to spell schools.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I agree. I don't know how it's possible, but they made the class less desirable. They need to hire an outside consultant/developer since they cannot get it right.
. . . They buffed the class a ton. This version of the class is objectively more powerful than the 2014 PHB version. The new version gets Cantrips and 1st level spells, get to change all of their spells on a long rest (except Hunter's Mark, which is automatically prepared), concentration-less Hunter's Mark, and 2 Expertise at level 1. The 2014 Rangers didn't get spells until level 2 (and never got cantrips), only got to change a single spell when they leveled up, and got two very campaign-dependent abilities that required you to talk with the DM in order to get the most out of your abilities (which just lets you ignore most parts of the Exploration Pillar).

And that's just level 1. The newer rangers are just objectively better in how usable their features are and in pure numbers. How in the world did they become "less desirable" to you?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've made my peace with spellcasting rangers some time ago. I think they would benefit from a feature similar to the Artificer's spellcasting-with-tools feature.

Huntsman's Mysticism:
You must cast you spell using either a component pouch, a herbalist kit or hunter's tools. At the end of a long rest in the wilderness, you can make a DC 10 (or higher if the DM declares the terrain as barren) Wisdom or Intelligence (Survival) test. On a successful test, you can ignore the material components of your spells as long as they are not consumed until the end of your next long rest.

Remove ads

Remove ads