D&D (2024) One D&D Grappling

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Monsters who use grapple already did it just by hitting instead of doing grapple checks, so this just puts PCs on the same level, I guess.

It buffs grappling in some ways, nerfs in others, overall it'll prob be alright most of the time.

dave2008

Legend
Monsters who use grapple already did it just by hitting instead of doing grapple checks, so this just puts PCs on the same level, I guess.
Actually all monsters could use the grapple rules, but some monsters could also grapple on a hit. The difference here would be often the monster grapple on a hit also included damage, this does not. Which is as it should be for the base grapple action IMO

Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained. The kraken has ten tentacles, each of which can grapple one target.

Reynard

Legend
I am away from a device with access to the document: was there a size relationship limit on grapple. Because if not it is stupidly OP against big multi attacking foes.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Actually all monsters could use the grapple rules, but some monsters could also grapple on a hit. The difference here would be often the monster grapple on a hit also included damage, this does not. Which is as it should be for the base grapple action IMO

Tentacle. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 20 (3d6 + 10) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 18). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained. The kraken has ten tentacles, each of which can grapple one target.
Something like a Vampire can grapple on a hit without dealing damage.

I looked it up a while ago, and every monster that inflicts the grappled condition I've looked at just does it on a hit. They could technically try it with the normal grappling rules, but it usually wouldn't be great since grapple especified the attack action, so it wouldn't work with monster Multiattack.

Kurotowa

Legend
It strikes me that the main upside of the new Gappled condition is that it reduces the target's speed to 0.

One scenario for this is a familiar one. With two unarmed strike attacks you can knock a target prone and grapple them, preventing them from standing again. Assuming the Prone runs are the same that gives Advantage to every melee attack against them. That can be very handy in the right party, though it's not a universal trick. Being Prone also gives Disadvantage to ranged attacks, after all.

A brand new trick is that it gives your front line bruisers a psudeo-Sentinal. Anyone with a 2H weapon can have a hand free when they're not attacking. That means that instead of using your Opportunity Attack to dish out damage, you can make an unarmed strike to grapple them and prevent them from moving away from you. Yes, you'll have to release the grapple on your turn to use the weapon again. But you'll have accomplished your goal of preventing them from moving away or past you.

Also, remember that we're working on incomplete information here. Are there higher level feats that improve the effects of grappling? Class features or maneuvers? We don't know yet. This is just what the plain universal action allows.

kapars

Adventurer
The save to escape the grapple happens at the end of the monsters turn. That means if you grapple successfully they cannot move for at least one turn and can attack only you without suffering disadvantage. If they do make the save you still have the opportunity to grapple again in the same spot. I think this makes it a powerful tanking ability.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
One of my players asked while reviewing the new playtest material:

So, did they add a way to go from grappled to restrained?

When I answered "No", he was pretty disappointed.

(Before anyone answers, I know the Grappler feat allows this, but its the only way...).

And yes, allowing grappled targets to escape automatically is a bad move.

The automatic save to escape is a bad change. Like really, really, really bad.
See? We can agree on some things. :)

dave2008

Legend
Something like a Vampire can grapple on a hit without dealing damage.

I looked it up a while ago, and every monster that inflicts the grappled condition I've looked at just does it on a hit. They could technically try it with the normal grappling rules, but it usually wouldn't be great since grapple especified the attack action, so it wouldn't work with monster Multiattack.
My point was the grapple rules are general and all monsters and PC can use them.

Yes, there are monsters use only effect on a hit is to grapple, I was not disputing that. Again, that is only a small handful of monsters, it was not a general rule for monsters. That is the point

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases