D&D (2024) One D&D is one D&D too much (-)

Greg K

Legend
So far, I am, overall, unimpressed.

I do like the addition of Orc as a PC race , Primal as a spell category, Thievs' Cant as language acquired from background, and Slowed as a condition

Things to which I am having mixed reactions to include the feat from backgrounds and moving the ability increases entirely to background. With regards to the former,I like it, but what does this mean for feats being optional? As for the former, I kind of like how Pathfinder 2 (from what I hear) uses both for increase.
Also, I think backrounds should grant 2 choice from among tool proficiencies and languages. So a character could choose 2 of 1 or 1 of each.

As for the rest, it did nothin for me- especially the Ardlings. So many better things they could have included as races, imo.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
shrug It's just a playtest. Give feedback or don't give feedback.

Or not. Up to you, I guess.
If later playtest material looks more promising to me, then I might. But given the type of game I like and the direction WotC is going, I doubt it will be the case. Hopefully, I am wrong. Time will tell.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If later playtest material looks more promising to me, then I might. But given the type of game I like and the direction WotC is going, I doubt it will be the case. Hopefully, I am wrong. Time will tell.
I feel you are fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of 'playtests', and are confusing them with 'previews'. Playtests are tools for (amongst other things) eliminating potential approaches. If you only respond to the playtests you 'like' you're missing the point of them. But you do what you need to do. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I feel you are fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of 'playtests', and are confusing them with 'previews'. Playtests are tools for (amongst other things) eliminating potential approaches. If you only respond to the playtests you 'like' you're missing the point of them. But you do what you need to do. :)
Good point.

However, in prior UA material, things I gave feedback to which I didn't like nearly always still made it into new material. So, either I am most definitely in the minority OR the "feedback" really isn't considered much unless it appeals to the devs. I highly suspect it is the former, and I would certainly hope not the later.

Remathilis

Legend
Good point.

However, in prior UA material, things I gave feedback to which I didn't like nearly always still made it into new material. So, either I am most definitely in the minority OR the "feedback" really isn't considered much unless it appeals to the devs. I highly suspect it is the former, and I would certainly hope not the later.
I'm sure they read the feedback. Compared the absolute nerdrage from the fey-pocket kender to the more "traditional-boring" ones in the second UA for a good example of which squeaky wheels they are listening to.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I feel you are fundamentally misunderstanding the concept of 'playtests', and are confusing them with 'previews'. Playtests are tools for (amongst other things) eliminating potential approaches.
Ideally, yes.

In practice, however, we have no way of knowing how cast-in-stone the 5e -> 5.5e changes are and-or how open the designers are to changing any given element be it major or minor. Which proposed changes are merely proposals and which ones are already locked in?

Baked-in feats as opposed to feats being completely optional, for example - we don't know if this idea really is a trial balloon (meaning feedback on it has relevance) or whether it's locked in (meaning feedback on it is a waste of time).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ideally, yes.

In practice, however, we have no way of knowing how cast-in-stone the 5e -> 5.5e changes are and-or how open the designers are to changing any given element be it major or minor. Which proposed changes are merely proposals and which ones are already locked in?

Baked-in feats as opposed to feats being completely optional, for example - we don't know if this idea really is a trial balloon (meaning feedback on it has relevance) or whether it's locked in (meaning feedback on it is a waste of time).
🤷 Dunno what to tell you. Do what you gotta do, I guess.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think the idea here is that these may be previews masquerading as playtests for marketing purposes.

Remove ads