D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

Clint_L

Hero
I vote for Schmorp.
I am totally on board with Schmorp.

"One of the first steps in creating your character is deciding what sort of sentient being you would like them to be. In D&D our word for this is "schmorp," and possible schmorps include dwarves, humans, goliaths, elves, and many other schmorps detailed herein."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My only problem with race in D&D is that in game it cludges together education and culture with biology. I'm aware of other problems, but that is what always bugged me.

Like, I can get halflings having excellent hand-eye coordination or elven senses and such, but all elves learn swordsmanship?

But the term species is... Functional. It fails on non-orgamic or constructed characters sure, but eh. Just sounds clinical to me is all.
The fact that Level Up doesn't do that is a big mark in the "pro" column for it (one of many, imo).

Au contraire, mon Capitan - it's very helpful; in that defaulting the in-game science to be the same as real-world science where possible makes it hella easier for everyone to intuitively grasp without having to think twice about it.

If questions of non-magical physics and other sciences can usually go like this, all is good:

Player: "How does [gravity, biology, erosion, rainfall, or other common thing] work in the game?"
DM: "Just like in the real world."
Player: "OK, got it."

Exceptions, where mundane things do NOT work as per the real world e.g. gunpowder doesn't work as advertised, can then be clearly noted and spelled out.

This is outside of the core topic of this thread but this is worth repeating. Having everything not explicitely working as in real life flagged as such is necessary for players not to have to wonder constantly how the fundamental workings of the world affects them. Even if it is all God-created, it happens to be, by default, like the world we know. Having to constantly decide if food rots, if cadaver decompose at the same rate, whether being in a arid environment affects that, and so on is a pain in the neck. Sure, nobody wrote in 5e that human children aren't brought to the parent by a stork, but when I see a human children in the game, as a player, I should be able to assume, that he has parents, and biologically, a father and mother, and if he is 8 years old, I can assume he is not the father of the other small human beside him that he calls "sis", irrespective of stork-action. It's not difficult to fix in the case of reproduction, by saying that there are no genes in D&D universes, that babies are produced out of the love of two (or, after all, one or more beings) really wanting to have one and poof, but if it is the case, it needs mentionning. Investigative scenarios often works better if everyone is on the same page with regards to things like that.

We recently had this discussion when a mechanical familiar with fly speed was sent to get an overview of the region (we were teleported to an unknown place and wanted to get our bearing). We made a detailed plan to provide cold protection and air to the observer (a small character in a bag of holding) while he was going to 12,000 meters to get a glimpse of the surrounding and identify notable landscape. The plan was based on (a) air becoming rare (b) temperature dropping with altitude (c) distance of vision increasing with altitude and so on. If air had been hotter and boiling at 12,000 meters could work as you're going nearer to the Fire Elemental Plane known as the sun who has a gate on a chariot in the sky, but it would need to explicit or the players would complain (or happy if they had make an academic discovery of extreme importance in the case this situation was unknown of humanity before).

Last edited:

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
My only problem with race in D&D is that in game it cludges together education and culture with biology. I'm aware of other problems, but that is what always bugged me.

Like, I can get halflings having excellent hand-eye coordination or elven senses and such, but all elves learn swordsmanship?

But the term species is... Functional. It fails on non-orgamic or constructed characters sure, but eh. Just sounds clinical to me is all.

It's because you played a "Typical Elf or Dwarf of Whatever." It's like having an issue with playing The Boot in Monopoly when you wanted to play a Nike or a Croc or a Loafer instead of the bog standard Boot.

Now-a-days people don't want to play a typical whatever. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with opening things up.

Kind of like that argument that all Orcs are bad. It was always "the typical Orc" via the monster manual. Good Orcs existed, just rarely used because they weren't considered typical.

Anywho, Species sounds to Sci-Fi for me. I hope they change Barbarian to Berserker though.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Granted that these aren't restricted to the biological meaning... but I'm intreagued by 'Kidney'* on the list of synonyms for species...

*Typo fixed

1670013949663.png

I had no idea...
1670014041259.png

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
I mean… I’m describing D&D there…
No D&D setting I am aware of has direct crossbreeding of elves and thri-kreen or centaurs and tritons - I do not remember any such hybrids existing but I am prepared to take your word for it that they do, but I would like a citation that they are the result of direct cross-breeding and not magical hybridisation.

I'd prefer either "Ancestry" or "Folk" (since there's already a folk in the game—like lizardfolk, and merfolk).
To reiterate, "What's your folk?" is weird.

Remove ads

Remove ads