• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Have many folks anywhere said they don't want to have any other traits at all?

It seems strange to me to liken saying a species/race are "always evil" to saying a species/race tusks and dark vision and being much larger on average andthus having greater strength (in terms of carrying capacity).
They're the same size mechanically, anyone can get darkvision incredibly easily, and tusks and other aesthetic considerations are meaningless. Are you sure you want to stand by the only real difference between orc and human being Powerful Build?

Micah Sweet

In the past, ethnicities lived farther away from each other. It was easier to think in racist ways. Today, all of the "races" grow up together in the same school classes, play in the same games, work together in the same jobs, and are each others neighbors, friends, and family members.

Today it is obvious that racist generalizations are wrong and toxic.
Is that your answer to their question then? We need to severely curtail what we allow in fantasy fiction?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
They're the same size mechanically, anyone can get darkvision incredibly easily, and tusks and other aesthetic considerations are meaningless. Are you sure you want to stand by the only real difference between orc and human being Powerful Build?

As descriptors of almost all populations of Orcs everywhere, or in a particular setting?

(Are minotaurs one of the ones that is most variable across settings?)

What other traits should almost all Orcs have?

Are all Dwarves miners or love mining, or does the somewhat shorter but broader typical size, darkvision, and tremor sense allow those that are interested to more easily excel at mining?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Personally, I want the Players Handbook to have Humans only.

The Nonhuman options can be in the Setting Guides. The Forgotten Realms Guide will have Elf, Dragonborn, Tiefling, Dwarf, Halfling, Genasi, Goliath, Gnome, etcetera, including the cultures, like High culture, Wood culture, and Uda culture, Loren culture, and Aeven culture.

The Eberron Guide will have its Nonhuman options, and so on.

The Players Handbook can focus on game rules and player Classes, and have all the information necessary to play a complete game.

The Dungeon Masters Guide will focus on worldbuilding and variant rules.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Didn't have the book handy for my last reply, so update.

Comparing the 1e MM entry to the MPMotM PC entry seems to make a nice distinction to me. Getting rid of needing to be descended from Gruumsh on all worlds would make it even better to me.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Is that your answer to their question then? We need to severely curtail what we allow in fantasy fiction?
The fantasy fiction from earlier centuries is what it is.

The fantasy fiction we write today will be for us, not for dead people.

The D&D game that isnt even written yet, will be for us. Today.

Racism is no longer "interesting".

Micah Sweet

The fantasy fiction from earlier centuries is what it is.

The fantasy fiction we write today will be for us, not for dead people.

The D&D game that isnt even written yet, will be for us. Today.

Racism is no longer "interesting".
Is that a yes? Because it reads like a yes to me, even if you don't want to say it straight out.

Micah Sweet

Didn't have the book handy for my last reply, so update.

Comparing the 1e MM entry to the MPMotM PC entry seems to make a nice distinction to me. Getting rid of needing to be descended from Gruumsh on all worlds would make it even better to me.
The MMotM PC entry is one of the blandest things I've ever read in a D&D book. If that's the best they can do, I'm happy I've largely decided to leave WotC behind.

Remove ads

Remove ads